Sign in to follow this  
Timbo

$%^&ing vandals

So I woke up the other day to find my drivers side wing mirror hanging off :pale:. Some tit got a bit close, clouted it then drove off? No, it was parked with that side to the pavement. What possesses someone to deliberately cause damage like that? It's not like they're gaining anything through theft. They're not even getting (twisted) satisfaction from seeing my reaction to their "handiwork". A couple of other people on my street had the same treatment.

Makes me :bad-words: and causes much :censored:. Maybe :hitler: had some good ideas. :mad2: :censored: :p :bad-words:

Anyway, I was resigned to having to find a new mirror and paint it. Turns out that they weren't particularly good vandals, and only managed to snap the bit that the mirror swivels on. A bit of work on the lathe and some swiss files later:

wing_mirror.jpg

A bit of body filler was necessary too, but it could have been worse.

FFS :(

But nice work with the lathe, almost worth having your mirror removed so we all got to see that :)

Exactly the same thing happened to me over the summer.....I was so F$%&ked off :bad-words: :bad-words: .....bought a whole unit and replaced the metal swival joint you have just machined.....good stuff by the way :notworthy: , wish I had a lathe handy to mess around on....if you havent done it already its an absolute bastard to get back in the unit - took me an hour, cut hands and high temperatures before it was back in :? !!!

good luck :wave:

Nice product - but what's a swiss file?

[Can't surely have ice cream & jam inside It?] :lol:

It's basically a really small file. I think they're mainly used by watchmakers and the like. I used them to make the three pronged triangular bit on the end, which you obviously can't do on a lathe. If I had a 4th axis on my milling machine I would have used that...

needle_files.jpg

if you havent done it already its an absolute bastard to get back in the unit - took me an hour, cut hands and high temperatures before it was back in :? !!!

Yeah that was a bit of challenge. What I did was use an M8 bolt with a nut on it to screw up against the interior of the aluminium housing and push the new swivel bit down. It wasn't too bad once I'd figured out this approach. To be honest I found poking the wee wires through the hole when mounting it back on the car more difficult, though the wind and rain might have had something to do with that. :brickwall:

Thats exactly what I did......but it has to be said only after my uncle suggested it.......crapped myself a few times when it pinged out under load and cracked against the housing !!!

wind and rain never good :(

off topic but timbo how did you quote like you just did......taking parts out of a thread and keeping it in a pink box ??

Same thing happened to me the other week but luckily they didnt snap it off. I then came back from Norway on Wed to find that someone had dropped a plank of wood (I think) onto the car scraping the bonnet and passenger door. That goes to add to the front and rear bumper scrapes along with the dent in the rear panel which were there a week after getting the car.

Unfortunately I think this is just part of living and parking in a city now. Was thinking of a full respray but not if this is going to happen.

Same thing happened to me the other week but luckily they didnt snap it off. I then came back from Norway on Wed to find that someone had dropped a plank of wood (I think) onto the car scraping the bonnet and passenger door. That goes to add to the front and rear bumper scrapes along with the dent in the rear panel which were there a week after getting the car.

Unfortunately I think this is just part of living and parking in a city now. Was thinking of a full respray but not if this is going to happen.

This is so true, I use the C as a second car and use my moped around town, a few weeks ago I had to use the C around town and I couldnt believe the amounts of dings and prangs it got in two weeks town use......pi"%^ed me off rotten....a lot of people dont give a damm what they hit :bad-words:

I was also thinking of respraying but thinking it just isnt worth it :(

Nice product - but what's a swiss file?

[Can't surely have ice cream & jam inside It?] :lol:

It's basically a really small file. I think they're mainly used by watchmakers and the like. I used them to make the three pronged triangular bit on the end, which you obviously can't do on a lathe. If I had a 4th axis on my milling machine I would have used that...

needle_files.jpg

Thanks Timbo - they're a type my old man used to call "rats' tail files" :)