Sign in to follow this  
StueyB

VR Induction Kits - Alternatives to the BMC CAI...

Hey guys,

Looking for some inspiration really. I have been in need of an induction kit for my VR6 for some time now but have been trying to find something a little different to the very popular BMC CAI unit. I know these are tried and tested and definitely one of the best buys induction wise but i cant help but feel it's a little to easy to just bolt one on and its hardly pushing any boundaries.

So....what are people running other than the BMC and what are their thoughts?

Carbonio? K&N? Custom setup? All responses welcomed.

Stu

I know these are tried and tested and definitely one of the best buys induction wise but i cant help but feel it's a little to easy to just bolt one on and its hardly pushing any boundaries.

And what kind of boundaries are you trying to push by sticking an air filter onto a VR6? :lol:

Fitted my BMC this morning, well impressed.

Seems more lively, might just be me toeing it though to hear the noise it makes lol

I know these are tried and tested and definitely one of the best buys induction wise but i cant help but feel it's a little to easy to just bolt one on and its hardly pushing any boundaries.

And what kind of boundaries are you trying to push by sticking an air filter onto a VR6? :lol:

Trying push the +50bhp from an air filter boundary innit bruv... :lol:

In all seriousness I don't think that was quite the right phrase, how about breaking from the norm.

i had a jom on my mk3 vr and it sounded like a charging gorilla was very impressed quite subtle looking for a air filter too!

Was this a shield'd kit or just a bolt on foam filter? Do you have any pictures?

They dont really offer any performance benefit other than making your car sound faster LOL So at the end of the day as long as it filters I dont realy think it matters which one you get. How about a shiny Pipercross one?

something like a bmc or CAI will give you gains ~ 5-7bhp, an open filter in the engine bey WILL loose you power.

My BMC gave me nothing Im sure. Dynoed before and after as well and was within 1bhp. Questionably feels faster at high revs but also feels like you lose torgue at lower revs. Have even run it with the headlight taken completely out and again no difference.

Being completely honest I am only getting it for the noise factor. Be rude not to but i don't just want an open filter in the engine bay knowing how much heat is generated to the right off it.

What i think i really want is something along the lines of the Generation II K&N jobbies which look a little like this:

57i-9500.jpg

Open filter but with a heat shield, so i've been keeping my eyes open for a suitable carbon fibre effort.

I did however come across the GruppeM carbon fibre induction kits for TT's. Now they really are something but then i found out the price tag. Look well smart tho.

DSC01732.jpg[/attachment:b3g8g9ia]

Search continues.