Sign in to follow this  
carpoid

Calling Sunroof Experts *UPDATE*

Eh up.

I have searched and can't find anyone else with this problemo.

My Sunroof has broken, bit of a coinsidence that it happened after a respray but i won't go into that.

The mechanism has broken on one side, being the left as i sit in the car. It will tilt up and down if i press the switch and pull towards the back of the car on this bit ..

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfImported Photos 00057.JPG[/attachment:ixje176k]

BUT, the problem is i can see light through it in the 'closed' position, mainly along the back and a little at the front left corner.

Also the seal is new from GPC (original VAG part) and i can't get it to fit nicely, looks terrible actually..

Imported Photos 00058.JPG[/attachment:ixje176k]

So does anyone have any tricks for me to just get it closed, so i can drive in the rain/mgive it a wash ?

And any tricks on fitting the seal ?

Cheers

Matt

are you trying to fit the seal with the sunroof panel still in the car?, it is much easier with it removed, and it also makes it easier to see what part of the mechanism is not working properly.

No i was goig to take it off to have a go at that, but i wondered if i was missing something trying to close it. I want to be able to just close it for now.

When i had the panel off i could see what part was broken, didn't get a pic then though. I could see something had snapped, and when pressing the switch as if i was to to slide the roof open, the part stayed in the closed position when the rest of it slid back, was a clean break - like the side that is still OK.

The trick with the seal is to have the panel out and use as much brute force with your thumbs as you can muster LOL Mine were hurting for two days after fitting mine :D Pays once you have put the seal on to go round again with your thumbs using your body weight to push down even harder.

No real trick as far as I could see.

Matt

I tried to fit the seal while the panel was in the car on the g60. Had exactly you problem some sides were nice and flush while others looked awful. Remove the panel only abour four screws (i seem to remember)

Dont push too hard though with the seal as you can easily bend the actual panel if you aren't too carefull.

Eh up.

Finally had some time to sort a few things out over Christ's break.

I got the seal on easy enough, i gave the panel edge where the seal goes on a good waxing, went on alot easier.

It looks like i got the runners in the right place so that when i screw the panel back on i will be in the closed position.

With the panel off i found this broken part, in the pic, see underneath the black slotted arm, the silver part that runs along the bottom there is in 2 pieces where it has snapped, does anyone know if its easily replaceable ?

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfImported Photos 00083.JPG[/attachment:95jdo96i]

Imported Photos 00084.JPG[/attachment:95jdo96i]

common part that breaks, did the same on mine. i THINK one side is still available, not sure which though, thats what the vag man told me, after i had one for each side :)