Sign in to follow this  
Skimask

RAC damaged my Corrado!

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd ask - has anyone on the forum had the breakdown service damage their car?

My VR6 petered to a halt on Sunday night - and I called out the RAC. The guy duly came - after 90 minutes. He asked me to sit in the seat and try and start the car on his signal. He was working away in the engine bay and then asked me to try and start it.

I did - and there was a loud explosion and lots of smoke. I asked him what he had done - he said he sprayed damp start into the intake system. This blew the throttle damper apart.

Anyone had this happen - and did you report the incident?

No not exactly, but one who did a report on a c I was selling said he doubted if it was an original Karmann. Dooh !!

Those dampers do blow occasionally but I would ask his bosses what they intend to do about it.

why did he spray damp start into it in the first place?

i could understand him trying it on a car that wouldnt start in the morning but if a car has spluttered to a halt after running normally it would ususally indicate a problem thats not going to be solved with some bodge spray.

just tell them damp start shouldnt be used on that engine (shouldnt really be used on any engine that has stopped running like that) and get them to replace the damper.

Agreed. A VR6 will only stop if it receives no signal from the crank sensor or no fuel from the pump. Starting there is always a good start and then move onto the the associated items. Relays and the like. Damp start won't do jack on a VR6, expect cause backfires through the intake.

A friend of mine just got some compensation out of the RAC. Someone shut her keys in the boot so the RAC were called to break in, only it was a Fabia and it deadlocks. After an hour of trying various techniques they gave up, but not before damaging the drivers door lock (so the handle wouldn't work from the outside) and all the appature seals (on every door).

They offered to fix it themselves, but on my advice she went through another company who fixed it, she then forwarded the bill to the RAC, who after a little bit of chasing, did cough up.

I would have taken it futher though, they scratched up the top of the doors, made a right hash of it.

cheers guys.

I won't get back to the car until the weekend - and figure out what went wrong!

I think I'll contact the RAC and see what happens!

I have 3 corrado's only 1 is working....he...he....he

RAC did a windscreen on one of works pool cars, 10 month old renault laguna estate- they came and did it and left without telling anyone, i found it a day later with the tape stuff they use to stop the windscreen sliding down baked on to the roof by the sun. turns out it shouldve been removed after an hour. RAC paid to have the roof resprayed . . .

RAC did a windscreen on one of works pool cars, 10 month old renault laguna estate- they came and did it and left without telling anyone, i found it a day later with the tape stuff they use to stop the windscreen sliding down baked on to the roof by the sun. turns out it shouldve been removed after an hour. RAC paid to have the roof resprayed . . .

yep ! in fact my vr is still in the paintshop i decided to get the whole car painted be rude not to ! :grin:

Agreed. A VR6 will only stop if it receives no signal from the crank sensor or no fuel from the pump. Starting there is always a good start and then move onto the the associated items. Relays and the like. Damp start won't do jack on a VR6, expect cause backfires through the intake.

Or as I found out this morning......The pin holding the plastic connector on the rear of the distributor had fallen out. The rotor arm was turning freely!

Now I have a pin somewhere in the engine! So this afternoon - going to take the rocker cover and chain off and see if I can find it!

Contact RAC Customer Care on 0800 731 1104 and explain the situation.

It is worth getting images and a quote for a garage to repair the car.

Go fully armed with all the details and never back down until you are satisfied.

RAC will want to investigate themselves which they are obliged to do, so allow them time to contact the attending patrol and get a report, But keep on them.