Sign in to follow this  
JimSTORM

not a smooth ride.

hi when i first bought my c i couldnt help but notice how smooth it drove compared to my Mk2 Golf but now three weeks later i am having trouble with it. it has started to jerk around a lot when the accelorator is released and at slow speeds when just rolling up to lights etc..

it isnt a major problem its just that it bugs me i cant seem to see why it is happening. also i cant seem to get it into first gear untill i have come to a complete stop and have not moved for at least three seconds. it just seems to crunch this also happens when i try to engage 1st quickly eg when lights suddenly change and your playing with the stereo or something and you put it in quickly and it just crunches.

any one with any information would be appreciated

Jerkiness: check for sloppy engine mounts. also look for the throttle return damper, on the side of the throttle valve unit. It should slow the throttle return, to prevent it slamming shut when you lift off.

Gearbox, yeah, that's not that unusual. It might help to change the gearbox oil completely (in fact it might even be low! check it and top up if that's the case!) Mine used to do that from time to time, but doesn't since I had the oil changed.

Difficult gear engagment is indicative of a maladjusted gear linkage....or...a clutch that's on it's way out. Sometimes the friction disc sticks to the splined gearbox input shaft, so doesn't disengage fully. Try pumping the clutch pedal and you should find the gear will engage.

I would advise against engaging first when the car is moving anyway. VW gearboxes don't like it. Something to do with the layshaft spinning at a different speed to the gearshaft, so the sycnro cones struggle to mesh properly...or some cobblers like that anyway!

This is why rear wheel drive cars need heel-and-toeing when changing down at speed to stop the rear wheels locking up.

K

try and change the gear oil to the genuine vag sythetic gear oil. It used to come in tinns about the size of a beer can and you had to puncture the lid to get the oil out. I think it was refered to as G5 oil as the part number was g000 525 001 or something like that. Anyway it is really good for curing that problem on the c. Also make sure the linkage is set up right.