Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

Whats this finish? Teflon coating? Pic attached

Could anyone tell me what the finish is on the manifold pictured please? Am I right in saying its a teflon based coating rather than a powdercoat? Thanks for any help

moteur_corrado (32).jpg[/attachment:1i58m3mx]

If it has a rough wrinkly feel to it, its probably just this stuff Wrinkle finish paint It's been used on classic car engines and dashboards for years and does look very nice when done properly.

Although the powder coaters that did my wheels also had some similar finishes to that on some display racking they where doing.

I doubt very much it would be teflon coated, apart from being very expensive to do, it would serve no real purpose, teflon coatings chip just as easily as most paints but they resist frictional wear much more.

thanks for the info - from guesswork it doesn't add a texture on the surface (which I'm guessing the wrinkle paint described above would) - or a thick layer of paint like powdercoating would - you can see/feel the texture of the metal underneath. I've seen something vaguely similar with a teflon coating so thought it could be the same here - but have no information on any products...

been fine so far, but then a 16v rocker cover doesnt really get touched by much.

id guess its some sort of ceramic coating on that shrick manifold. have seen guys with fabricated turbo manifolds etc get them ceramic coated so think its quite common practice. that would defo be hard wearing- they coat the braking surfaces of high-end mountain bike rims with the stuff.

I have that on my mavic rims! it just doesn't look sprayed on - or powdercoated. cheers for the advice - i bet thats very close if not what it is

If it has a rough wrinkly feel to it, its probably just this stuff Wrinkle finish paint It's been used on classic car engines and dashboards for years and does look very nice when done properly.

Although the powder coaters that did my wheels also had some similar finishes to that on some display racking they where doing.

I doubt very much it would be teflon coated, apart from being very expensive to do, it would serve no real purpose, teflon coatings chip just as easily as most paints but they resist frictional wear much more.

There is a guy tooling around Aberdeen with a G60 Rallye that has a telfon coated engine..

Yeah is that the one we saw at G-werks Yan with the gold plated hardware?

That looked awesome and the finish looked fairly durable...

Yeah it was.