Sign in to follow this  
antinkariba

Ants Blue 2.0l 16v (ABF) Corrado - Heater Matrix Change :-(

So I thought that I would start a thread about my car. Since getting it I have had it serviced, replaced the water pump, new top mounts, new tyres.

I have been putting a list together of what I want to get done

Few trims missing from the interior.

Steam clean the carpets

I want to change the colour of the dash lights and instruments

Front bumper respray

Side molding colour coding

Fitting of Oil Pressure guage and maybe a few more

Sunroof needs sorting out, It wont slide back

New Exhaust

And then I want make the engine bay look a lot better!

However since its service been running like a dream!

I managed to get some time to go and take some pictres of the Corrado today.

Corrado4_5.jpg

Corrado4_2.jpg

Corrado4_1.jpg

Corrado4.jpg

Corrado3.jpg

Corrado2.jpg

and my favorite one

Corrado1.jpg

What do you think?

The paint code is LC5Z. Blue Pear i believe.

I am also wanting to fit a debadged front grill but from what I have read the debadged 3 slat ones dont fit with out making some mods. Do you know what I need to do to fit one?

Best thing to do is - if you don't get any pointers off fellow valver owners, is to buy one, and then see what you have to work with. But I'm sure someone will help you out on here.

I changed the grill on my J plate 16v to a three slat but with the VW badge, it had the grill that you've got at present beforehand.

From memory it's not a direct replacement the only difference are the upper and lower lugs are in different positions. I think i modded some of the upper or lower bodywork to take the new positions of the lugs. :scratch: :scratch: Sorry i cant be more accurate it was maybe 8 years ago when i had my 16v.....

But yes it is possible to change... PS nice looking rado....

Thanks guys. I have a few things that I want to do to it, but U feel that I must get all the little issues sorted out first. Its needs a few dents and chips removing and possibly some paint work.

Will keep my eye out for a grill, am in no hurry. Will have to wait till after Xmas to buy her some presents! :-)

One thing I do need is a front splitter if anyone has one laying around......

:)

Well I thought that I had better update this as its been ages!

I had a few run ins with the old KR engine... While driving the oil pressure switch decided that it would bow out and spurt oil everywhere...... Was not very pleased.... However, it still ran but leaked and was not in a good way.

IMG00100.jpg

So I decided that it was time to upgrade the engine so I sourced a 2ltr 16V ABF engine :D and decided to run it on the K-Jet. Seemed simple enough so I got researching and found an engine and some guide to follow too!

_MG_0364.jpg

Got to work with removing the old KR

_MG_0349.jpg

_MG_0419.jpg

While the engine was out I thought that I would get the bay clean. Cleaned everything and had to get the oil out of every nook and cranny!

_MG_0433.jpg

_MG_0440.jpg

I also decided to sort out the wiring and get it looking a little nicer...

_MG_0405.jpg

_MG_0456.jpg

Finally got the new engine in!

_MG_0457.jpg

While it was out I decided to paint the block it so that I could see if there were any leaks and it looks pretty cool!

So I was very happy when it started first time. It had some little issues, the exhaust manifold was blowing a little and there was a fuel leak as one of the fuel lines stated leaking. Replaced the washer it was fine. While the engine was out I replaced all the gaskets, seals and the exhaust manifold studs. I did new cam belt and tensioner, new clutch and I had to get a crank shaft sensor - even though its not plugged into anything!

After I got the fueling and stuff sorted out it runs like a dream. I am very pleased with it. It so nice to drive especially with the new clutch. There is just so much more power out of it now. I love the fact that I can accelarate and it pulls away no matter what gear you are in! :D

All in all I am pretty pleased with it. Biggest project that I have ever undertaken and not knowing much about it it turned out prety well. All in all cost me less than £600 too!

I then also treated her to a new front grill.

_MG_0476.jpg

I like the 3 slat look. I just need to source a front splitter now!

:D Am very pleased!

Future mods:

I have an uprated wiring loom to fit.

I also have a set of KR cams that I might look into fitting

New Exhaust

Good job! I was wondering if you had any clearance issues with the ABF under an early style bonnet. I was always under the assumption that an ABF wouldn't fit? :shrug:

nice build mate, is that the 2ltr 16v you've dropped in then?

Yeah it is the 2ltr. Out of a MK3 GTI!

Good job! I was wondering if you had any clearance issues with the ABF under an early style bonnet. I was always under the assumption that an ABF wouldn't fit?

Nope, got no issues what so ever, but then I am using the KR inlet manifold. From what I am lead to believe, the ABF inlet manifold makes the clearance a little challenging. I kept all the KR and K-Jet ancillary's and just used the bare engine!

the abf lump won't benefit from KR cams, its only the 9a if i recall correctly as the cams were restricted for emissions purposes. good work on the car though!

the abf lump won't benefit from KR cams, its only the 9a if i recall correctly as the cams were restricted for emissions purposes. good work on the car though!

I have just read that on another forum... i seemed to have mixed them up! :?

you can always go piper or kent cams, but then maybe become a bit peaky

nice project and good effort btw, prepping something similar myself :D

So not done a great deal to the old girl. I did manage to get a new areial as my one was beyond repair.

_MG_1552.jpg

Have been slowly getting round to gathering all the bits that I need to fit guages. Am wanting to do them this weekend if I get the chance!

Took some pics. I love the look of it!

_MG_1548.jpg

_MG_1558.jpg

_MG_1575.jpg

_MG_1557.jpg

Am on the lookout for a new exhaust as mine s blowing. I really would like a stainless steel one.

I have also managed to get a new steering wheel. Got a great deal on a Momo Leather one for £10

The engine seems to be running better, but am going to get the fuelling adjusted and then I should be on to a winner!

So a little update.

Spent last weekend doing little bits and bobs. Changed the oil, filters, changed the water flange as it was leaking and attempted to tackle the gear box oil but it rained so I gave up. will try and get that done next week sometime.

I managed to get an inlet manifold for £0.99 on ebay - what's the best way to colour this. I really fancy having a matt black inlet manifold and then doing the rocker cover red. Should I look at powder coating or can I paint it?

Have managed to find a clean and hole-less parcel shelf too. I also got myself a nice new stereo - does bluetooth hand free etc and I now bluetooth my walkman to the stereo. Its fantastic. While I was doing that I decided that I might as well fix the stereo loom and ran new cables and sorted everything out behind the dash!

Am now on the look out for a driver seat as mine is a little tatty.

I was hunting the internet and came across these - so am looking at getting some.

corrado10.jpg

This is his website if anyone is interested.

http://moman.pl/en/index.php?a=lista&k=26

[:y:]

Was just wondering, What is the power output on your ABF engine? Does it feel like it has alot more torque?

Was just wondering, What is the power output on your ABF engine? Does it feel like it has alot more torque?

It has considerable more torque. I was some what surprised when I took her out for the first time. As for current power output I don't really know. I want to get it on a RR and find out. The ABF engine I believe is 150bhp as standard.

It has more torque all the way through the revs. After 4k it really comes out and accelerates very smoothly.

So I ran into a few issues the other night. While driving along the car just cut out... So I poked around a little bit and discovered that oil was leaking onto the spark plugs. So I whipped off the rocker cover to change the gaskets.

IMG00195.jpg

All looked nice and tidy but the gasket looked something like this -

IMG00184.jpg

So i cleaned it all up, fitted the new gasket refitted the rocker cover, stuck it all back together and then - nothing. It turns over but I have no spark....[:^(]

Am on the case and need to work out why its not sparking?!

Anyone have any ideas as to the spark?

have you cleaned out the HT leads? make sure all traces of oil are off the spark plugs, even try replacing them. you could heat them up with blow torch or something to burn the oil off.

have you cleaned out the HT leads? make sure all traces of oil are off the spark plugs, even try replacing them. you could heat them up with blow torch or something to burn the oil off.

Yep! Did all that. Cleaned all the oil out and cleaned all the plugs. There does not seem to be a spark coming from the coil to the distributor, I removed the coil lead and there was nothing.

did you put a spark plug in the ht lead whilst testing if there was a spark? just check make sure all wires are plugged onto the coil securely as well

did you put a spark plug in the ht lead whilst testing if there was a spark? just check make sure all wires are plugged onto the coil securely as well

Yeah I did. Nothing....

Check all teh wires going to the coil and they seem ok. :shrug:

So I have the car back - was a few issues with the dizzy (human error I think :( )

Have done a little work with her since then and as the MOT is due this month I needed to get the brakes on the front done and the stupid radiator started leaking. I also noticed that the steering rack boot was damaged so have ordered that too. Ordered a new radiator too - just need to get round to fitting it and should be ok. I have also booked it into The Phirm during half term as I am off to get the WUR done and the fueling set up correctly.

Am hoping after that she will be running nice and smooth again! :)