Sign in to follow this  
Dubcharged

BHP at the wheels

Hi guys

What are you losing from your flywheel to your wheels?

2 wheel drive systems lose around 15%, my 4 wheel drive loses 26%.

Anyone got dyno's to verify?

I have a dyno plot at home.. will try and remeber to post some details up here when I get back later this evening :)

Jabba Sport last year but since then I think the power has rapidly dropped as the car seems to run very rich ie: 3.5% so I think I'll be changing the chip shortly to see if that makes any difference!!

my old g60 was 160 @ wheels not sure about fly and 202 lb me new motor is 220 at fly 180 @ wheels with 245 lb for now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: soon to be a lot more

Hi guys

What are you losing from your flywheel to your wheels?

2 wheel drive systems lose around 15%, my 4 wheel drive loses 26%.

Anyone got dyno's to verify?

Just had a thought about this, once on the road how much would a front drive car loose on top of this due to rear wheel drag. I assume this is already taken into account on 4wd losses.

just looked out my last set of dyno figures when i got my milltek fitted by star-performance in september last year

anyway heres the breakdown of my figures(pre-milltek figures in brackets.....march 2002's rolling-road day figs approx 43k btw)

Milltek figures taken at approx 48k miles

Norm power...........193bhp(187.5)

Engine output.........189bhp(183)

Wheel output..........143.5bhp(145.5)

Drag output............45.5bhp(37.5)

Torque...................186lbf-ft(183)

Max power @ 113mph or 5930rpm(110mph/5790rpm)

Max torque @ 81mph or 4270(85mph/4450rpm)

so going by those the vr6 loses a bit more than just 15% :cry:

though i've also been told that as my vr6 is fairly low miles and has had mainly city use that the engine is still relatively "tight"

Quote:

though i've also been told that as my vr6 is fairly low miles and has had mainly city use that the engine is still relatively "tight"

Thats very true mate - I visited a friend down south who has a Classic green Storm with about 70k on the clock and when he drove mine - straight away he said mine felt faster and more reponsive as it revs up faster.. we agreed this was just due to mine having more miles on it..... I think the old age verse that comes up often - that VW's dont really come into their own till 100k miles is true to some extent!... once I got to around 100k miles my old 16V really seem to come to life.......

VR6Storm,

What do you think of the Miltek exhaust? I’ve got a Storm whose exhaust is getting towards the end of its’ useful life and a Miltek replacement was recommended.

What did it cost? At a constant smooth throttle is it any louder than normal – I like relaxed and quiet motorway miles so I can appreciate my hi-fi? Under hard acceleration does it sound a little more interesting?

This dyno was taken a year and a half ago right after my Stage 4 rebuild.

The only mods I had at the time were the Chip (UnKnown), pulley, Stage 4 charger

and Miltek exhaust. I've got less power at the wheels than you Roddy in this read

out. And a massive 52.5 BHP loss through the transmission. Does anybody know

how I can free some of this lost power up? :( I'll see what I've got now at Star

Performance in a couple of weeks.

Norm power...........193.3bhp

Engine output.........182.5bhp

Wheel output..........130bhp

Drag output............52.5bhp

Torque...................205lbf-ft

Pau1

VR6Storm,

What do you think of the Miltek exhaust? I’ve got a Storm whose exhaust is getting towards the end of its’ useful life and a Miltek replacement was recommended.

What did it cost? At a constant smooth throttle is it any louder than normal – I like relaxed and quiet motorway miles so I can appreciate my hi-fi? Under hard acceleration does it sound a little more interesting?

the milltek is a good quality piece though i do have a small problem just lately where its started banging/knocking against the rear bumper(i think)

though hopefully getting that looked at/sorted at star-performance next month

as for price it worked out at approx £340 fitted(cat-back) and all in....the main thing i noticed was the deeper burble at idle which i liked and when you hit 3+k revs it has a nice not too loud roar

as i've mentioned earlier the only problem with it seems to be this knock i've started getting....though not all the time

also it has made a noticable difference to my power figures too

hth

This dyno was taken a year and a half ago right after my Stage 4 rebuild.

The only mods I had at the time were the Chip (UnKnown), pulley, Stage 4 charger

and Miltek exhaust. I've got less power at the wheels than you Roddy in this read

out. And a massive 52.5 BHP loss through the transmission. Does anybody know

how I can free some of this lost power up? :( I'll see what I've got now at Star

Performance in a couple of weeks.

Norm power...........193.3bhp

Engine output.........182.5bhp

Wheel output..........130bhp

Drag output............52.5bhp

Torque...................205lbf-ft

Pau1

maybe your bigger alloys and your dodgy clutch release bearing contributed to your transmission losses :?

as i know my tyres were just replaced 2 months before the the milltek was fitted and thats maybe why my drag output increased :?

Yeah, could of been the clutch release bearing. I'd forgoten about that! Might have to borrow Dubster82's 16's for Star next time. :wink:

Yeah, could of been the clutch release bearing. I'd forgoten about that! Might have to borrow Dubster82's 16's for Star next time. :wink:

dubster82 won't be taking his C down to star next month.....he was in a crash(not in his thankfully) and is now nursing a broken collar bone

also just had glen on the phone earlier on and he's booked my C into AmD for a custom re-chip so hopefully i'll be hitting the magic 200bhp mark after that.....though will get a set of figures from star-p to see how much of a difference their rolling-road has to AmD's

Here's my plot info from my Stealth run on 26.02.03

Maximum power speed - 5672 rpm (109.1 mph in gear used - 4th)

Power at flywheel (Corrected*) - 200.0 bhp (DIN 70020)

Power at flywheel (measured) - 195.7 bhp

Power at wheels - 147.4 bhp

Power loss - 48.3 bhp

Maximum torque speed - 4544 rpm (87.4 mph in gear used - 4th)

Maximum engine torque - 192.3 lb/ft

Maxium road speed reached in test - 119.8 mph

Maximum engine speed reached in test - 6228 rpm

Min ambient temperature - 20 deg C

Max ambient temperature - 24 deg C

Barometric pressure - 998mb

* - Corrected means adjusting figure to take into account temperature and barometric pressure. This is part of DIN 70020 dyno testing.

Cheers

Kev