Sign in to follow this  
vr6-phil

"Green Sciroccos are good"...discuss!

The new Scirocco is just generally good, but yes, it does look awesome in green.

Sorry to take this a little OT already but has anyone else noticed way more ABT cars around recently? I saw a Toureg the other day!

But... it's GREEN???

Currently waiting to see who cracks 1st: me (with willingness to buy), or Sales Director (with NEED to sell).

Yes folks: now is the time to make LUDICROUS offers (they didn't say no outright)...

Yes folks: now is the time to make LUDICROUS offers (they didn't say no outright)...

Suppose I could try at Listers VW Coventry :lol:

Use arguments like

Problem is the margins in the cars haven't changed. So you can't get any more of a discount now than you could six months ago on the vast majority of cars. The franchises aren't getting any discounts from the manufacturers to pass on to the consumer and there is only so much profit we're gonna give away before we say NO DEAL!

Problem is the margins in the cars haven't changed. So you can't get any more of a discount now than you could six months ago on the vast majority of cars. The franchises aren't getting any discounts from the manufacturers to pass on to the consumer and there is only so much profit we're gonna give away before we say NO DEAL!

What is the usual margin?

When my sis was buying a new 3dr corsa 1.2 breeze in May, list price was just shy of £10k. We managed to get the local dealer down to £8.5k cash in person.

Then sis just rang round a few dealers and one not far off said he had one for £7.5k outright, no haggling. This is brand new, not pre reg or ex demo.

Whats the deal there then? I thought we did ok getting 1.5k off but a 25% discount would leave a dealer with almost 0 margin if you believe the majority of them on pistonheads and here etc. I believe the dealer was still making a worthwhile profit so will continue to believe the smarmy (*applies only to the particular saleman I dealt with) salesmen are lying to me in future.

Well the margin depends on the manufacturer. It is complicated by the fact that there are ladder bonuses (the more you sell the bigger the bonus you get on each car) and things in some cars that will allow a dealer to blow a car away to meet a target. Say the first dealer you went to had only sold 2 Corsas that quarter they would only get a small bonus on each car. If you went to another dealer they may have sold 10 Corsas that quarter which means the bonus they get for each one is bigger and therfore they can start offering them for less than the first dealer because they now have a bigger margin. I'm not saying that's the case here but it's one possibility.

There's all sorts of things like that but they have always been there. Mind you I can only speak from the point of view of the franchises I work for. Certainly Hyundai only recently just put the prices of their top selling models UP!

So the question to ask is "How many of these have you sold this quarter?"

Then offer a ludicrously low price?

You could try that. I think the thing to do is just shop around and play dealers off against each other if you can. And defo don't listen to the salesman. Of course he's gonna say you're getting the deal of the century! :lol:

Hmmmm.... Maybe I shouldn't be telling you all this! :lol:

I couldn't believe it when I went in the other month to have a look at a Scirocco. The salesman told me the price of the car in the showroom but then told me that the price was actually going up slightly...obviously 'the credit crunch' hadn't reached VW's offices!

The motor trade is a scary place to be at the moment. That's for sure. Every day it seems I come in and hear about another garage in trouble or more redundancies.

It seems a bit counterintuitive I know but you're probably more likely to get a better deal from a garage that is doing alright at the moment than you are from one that is struggling.

Don't like the Green Scirocco, sorry!

Starting to see some weird prices on the Inchcape VW forecourt in Colchester..... like £9992 for used Beetles and things. That must be the massive 2.5% VAT reduction? Saw a Polo GTI up for £16072 aswell. As the chap further up says, seems VW are snubbing the recession. Who the heck is going to pay £16K for a Polo when you can get 2 year old R32s for

Glad I don't sell cars for a living. I'd tell everyone to F off with their silly offers, LOL! And then I'd starve :lol:

Glad I don't sell cars for a living. I'd tell everyone to F off with their silly offers, LOL! And then I'd starve :lol:

Cheers for the message of solidarity Kev! :lol:

VW have always been arrogant about what they sell and how they price it.. but they'll change their tune when the credit crunch really takes hold.

To be fair though my local dealer has had some reasonable prices on cars lately but I did see a new Scirocco parked on their lot priced higher than list - pretty optimistic!

Despite my initial grumblings about this car i've actually seen a few photoshopped examples, and ive got to say that some of them look stunning. The right choice of rims and a nice drop seems to completely transform the car.

How do i get one for £15K?!? haha

They must be selling OK if VW are dreaming up new models already!

Or the opposite, if the launch of all sorts of special editions of the Mk2 Rocco very early on in its life cycle is anything to go by, which according to the recent VW book on the Scirocco was all to do with getting sales going.

Well, life cycles have shortened, so it may just be optimism despite the credit crunch. At least some are starting to make an appearance on Germany

I hated the car initially and was a hater but i went to VW the other day to look at getting 1, i like them alot now i have seen them on the road, just too pricey.