Sign in to follow this  
The Hub

New Scirocco R concept

There's unlikely to be an R32 variant, due to the emissions bracket for tax (it's a mainstream car after all not a proper sports car), but there are rumours of a tuned 2.0 T with about 275 bhp.

Performance VWs from now on will more than likely come with the 5 pot engine US Golfs currently use, albeit turboed.

A 5 pot 325hp Golf 6 "R32" equivalent (R32 V6 is going apparently) is rumoured....

No need to be harsh to Boost Monkey. Not everyone gets a stiffy every time the word Scirocco is mentioned :roll:

Harsh.. but funny...

Boost Monkey is always aching to tell people to use the search.. I thought it only seemed fair to give a similar response :)

Is the 5 pot engine the same as the one used in the mk4 generation golf? I've heard various people say they sound like the scooby boxer engine?!? Any truth in that?

If you're talking about the V5 engine mate, they're quite nice sounding.. like a hybrid between a VR6 and the classic Audi 5 cylinder engine, but obviously muted / toned down.. I reckon they'd sound awesome with a good air filter and exhaust combo!

Harsh.. but funny...

Boost Monkey is always aching to tell people to use the search.. I thought it only seemed fair to give a similar response :)

touch

Nope, I'm referring to a straight 5, as per the old Audi design. I think it may even be the same Volvo / Ford engine as used in the 850 / Focus ST. I need to do some more research but when I was in California in April, just about every single "Rabbit" I saw was a 5 pot and it sounded like a straight 5.

I don't think its the Volvo / Ford engine but it is definitely a straight 5. Some rumours suggest that when it goes in to the TT RS next year it will be both supercharged and turbocharged, others say it will be a single turbo - both sources seem to indicate about 330 - 345 bhp though

I'm not aware of any problems with the V5, certainly not the later 170hp version at least. It's exactly like the VR6 12V, but less one cylinder on the rear bank, obviously.

The 5 pot won't suffer any issues with bore ovalising etc like the VR6 does.

They've been turboing the straight 5 (2.5 litre by the way) in the states for a while now and it's a very strong engine by all accounts.....and will almost certainly fit in the older VWs....with a little work.