Supercharged

Rain-X Glass Cleaner

OK so I am going to resurrect this thread a bit.

I went down to Hallfords yesterday and got myself a spray-like-bottle of 2in1 rain-x product. It is the one with glass cleaner and reppelent in one.

Do I need to clean my front wind shield upfront with some other product and then apply rain-x, or just don't bother and spray the thing and wipe alone and it will do?

Also, some people seem to claim that once rain-x on front glass it can create smear-like effect. Is that true?

I do not have any wiper mod's at all, just original stuff that came with car... and damn, these are pretty much useless... so I guess I have nothing to loose.

Saturday was raining all day so didn't get chance to do any cleaning at all. This morning woke up at 6am - to see live Japan GP - and then tried that Rain-x product on all windows, also used it on front/rear lights. Now, need to wait for rain and will see how it really work.

edit: would rather prefer no rain - but need to test so, a quick shower could do... after that NO rain please ^^

Edited by guildmage

Saturday was raining all day so didn't get chance to do any cleaning at all. This morning woke up at 6am - to see live Japan GP - and then tried that Rain-x product on all windows, also used it on front/rear lights. Now, need to wait for rain and will see how it really work.

edit: would rather prefer no rain - but need to test so, a quick shower could do... after that NO rain please ^^

Ditto on the Grand Prix. I use Rain-X on my C. I've put it on all the windows. I wasn't too impressed to begin with as I got wiper judder. I persevered and have put a coat on every month or so. Juddering has cleared and you realise that actually you've missed bits, so redoing it makes sure you get full coverage. Also I find below about 50mph, i tend to need the wipers as it doesn't clear too well. So if you do a lot of slower driving and need the wipers, expect to redo it. Definitely recommend it and persevering.

Quick update: after using that Rain-x 2in1 product. I can say:

a) it doesn't create smear/smudge like effect for me

b) the greater travelling speed the better it works. On slow speeds wipers are still a must. Also when there is just light rain it also doesn't work very well

c) standard Corrado wipers (retro fit and not aero blades) work quite well with Rainx applied - it's actually massively better than no Rainx at all

quite impressed so far :)

Yep - needs consistent rain but still better than none at all...

I use mine on everything now - number plates, headlamps, house windows, shower door etc etc

I've recently upgraded to gtechniq's rain repellant it works at lower speeds to the rain-x. Doesn't judder only draw back is on first application you need to use there cleaner(supplied in the kit) before layering up the protectant(3 coats). Does the job tho, I could sit watching the water just run off the windows

is it any good for keeping the windows from fogging up?

Don't think so. My windows are still fogging up, but I know there is product called Rain-x Anti Fog, it's worth giving a try...

First came across rain x when I was a liney on harriers , thought I'd give it a go and no lie its awesome ! Specially this time of year

When I worked the flight line servicing harriers , we were called lineys RAFism

Cheers - I worked at a place in Fife with Lightnings and Javelins for a few weeks in a previous life.

Never heard the term - mind you, I never heard anything - period - 'cos of the racket!

Nice of the MOD to train people so that they can look after their motor cars! (Jealous)

Thanks to your recommendation from an esteemed source, I will have to be digging out that bottle of Rain-X again.

I really like this stuff, its cheap and easy to use. I use it a lot much simpler than treating and cleaning separate. I find it even outlasts some just treatment products.

Still using it and still have the same pair of lupo blades which are now over 10 years old!

Currently BOGOF in Halfords so 7.99 for 2

Ooh cheers for the heads up Stevie, having a new windscreen in today so will go get some :)