Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Is your Corrado the most unreliable car you've ever owned?

I've never owned an unreliable car. I don't do many miles these days but I used to. I've only owned one car for less than three years; that was my second Mk2 Golf GTI that I had for 18 months. The Leon is the sixth car I've owned in 17 years and the newest (just under four years old) at the time of purchase.

I consider myself very fortunate as I know a few people who've piled a fortune into some complete sheds.

Wow am I doing the right thing here in getting a Corrado :lol: :lol: Having just spent over 2k in 8 months on my Punto Gt I thought that was bad..Turning to German build I was hoping for more miles to the pound :clap: Well time will tell, I hope this is a good move,,haha

Don't let this thread put you off - they're definately worth the hassle! Me and my wife have 2 VR6s between us, and I've had to spend ~£3K in 3 years, but in the same period shes just had MOTs (all cheap), tyres and a wheel bearing. Buy a good one (or one thats already had all the work done!) and you should be ok.

My Corrado is starting to complain now. For one reason or another I only drive it short distances and irregularly, which isn't helping matters. At the moment the drivers door handle has gone (no big deal, just a pain in the arse), allied to the £300 I had to shell out for the new alarm yesterday and a few hundred a month ago or so for some random ignition nonsense, it's getting costly. I now find myself defending it from the missus' jibes about it costing us the earth and can't really say much except it's 14 years old, it happens.

Luvs the Corrado, just learning the hard way that if you don't keep on top of it, things can get costly.

Nope, none of the 3 I have owned have been unreliable.

Especially compared to the 3 year old Pug 306 that I had, that never broke down but the stuff that went wrong was just due to poor build quality or design.

Previous (only other!) car was a renault 19 1.4 Energy, which blew up at 112,419miles

I'm on 190,000+ (bought with 79,000) and no major engine probs yet! 8) 8) 8)

It has not been the most unreliable car I have owned but Nearly, However no car I have had has put such a smile on my face both from driving it or solving some issue or other.

My Corrado's have all been wonderful. In a combined 5'ish or so years ownership across 3 Corrado's, I've only ever had to call out the AA once and that was my own fault for driving through deep water.

Current Corrado took me to Germany, round the ring, to Karmann in Osnabruck in some truely dreadful weather, and back home again without even a hiccup.

I have spent a fair few quid on preventative maintenance and stuff though, but it's worth it to know you can just hop in it and drive it anywhere and it'll do you proud every time! :)

Well my Corrado has sat in my parents garage since the end of September and my Dad started it up this afternoon for the first time and it started on the button!

MINCY THE SUPER-CORRADO!!!!! :lol:

I wouldn't coin it un-reliable but it certainly likes the touch of my hands under the bonnet :lol:

Don't get me wrong i love the G60, but sometimes i feel it likes to wind me up, i changed the oil today and whilst unscrewing the filter (pretty sure the worlds strongest man did it up) it decided to unscrew the whole double threaded bolt, so the entire oil to water cooler housing came off to :epicfail: Not a hard job, but when your trying to get it all back together with two hands stuffed through the drivers light gap its a little frustrating :) This did have its advantage though, it defiantly drained ALL of its oil.

Touch wood its fine for the moment, driving it after all that hassle makes up for all its done wrong.

If i could i'd buy a second in a heartbeat :salute:

Corrado is the second worst, but that's not saying much as it only let me down the day I bought it when it chucked coolant everywhere. Luckily I was only down the road from Toad's and he came down with a long rubber hose... :eek:

Leavst unreliable was my Ibiza Cupra TDi. The AA called out 8 times in the 8 months I'd owned it :shock: Sold it after the 8th breakdown as I thought I'd given it enough chances!

As has already been said here, its not the unreliable for me, its more maintenance parts that need done.

Ie replacing bushes, wheel bearings etc etc, all parts that would need doing on every car given enough mileage and age.

Mine has never let me down, but certains parts have failed such as the spoiler not working, the common faults, but that doesnt mean the car cant get me from A to B.

Compared to my mother in laws S reg MkIV Golf, its reliable. The only thing I would be worried about in a long distance journey is if I get stuck in traffic but thats only due to me needing a new radiator, other than that I'm very confident taking it anywhere, whereas my mother in law is surprised everytime it manages to make it up from Manchester to Dundee.

I think that says it all :clap:

I would say that I've got total confidence in mine. Its only had the stalling problem a couple of times and doesn't hinder use when it did happen. I've only done about 1700 miles in 9 months but its started first time every time after being out of use for a couple of weeks or so. And for each bit of maintenance I do, I can actually see or feel the benefit in the car.

So coming this year will be new brakes, bushes, prob TT wipers etc. All stuff to improve an already great car.

Buy the best car you can afford with a good history of being looked after and you should be alright with them, unless they don't like the look of the new owner and get a bit fiesty on you!!!

MY Vr has never let me down but its certainly testing our relationship at the moment. Trouble is its high milage and bits wearout especially as its my daily. But i am looking at it through different glasses now. "As a Classic" It needs love and attention. Okay bits need replacing and it annoys the hell out of me sometimes, but on those days when its all working fine its the best drive in the world. Stop at any traffic lights and watch the 9-5ers in their modern company executive faceless computer designed safety bubbles and be glad that you are driving automotive history in what is arguably the best handling car Vw has ever made. Sure any one of them could afford it, but have they got the balls to own and drive one. I am proud of my car. Okay its not the tidiest, and its a bit worn but thats classic car character for you. Just the smell when i open the door and get in makes me happy as i cross my fingers and turn the key praying that today wont be the day it decides not to start. The Corrado will achieve cult status in future just as the MK1 Golf has. Just be happy that they are under the radar at the moment and so therefore affordable. :clap:

Hi all I'm a newbe at this but here goes, my wife bought her 95 (N reg) Corrado in 97 with 32K on the clock. It has now covered 120K miles without much problem, usual stuff, tyres, batteries, services, clutch, brake discs and pads etc no other problems until 2 months ago. Insert the key engine fires then the immobiliser cuts every thingb off. Very weird anyway VW solved the problem for about £350 so aprt from that in 13 years very reliable. :D :D