Sign in to follow this  
swiftkid

Scene tax and 'rare'

Well Ive had VW's since passing my test over a decade ago and it was just pure chance I bought a Mk2. Im an engineer and have liked tinkering with things, the VW scene at the time was more about the engineering side than the look of the car. I went to a few shows to start with but I got bored very quickly. Id rather just drive my car than stand about and speak about it. About 4yrs after this I got my first bike and I wish that the modifiying car scene was more like the bike scene.

Up here they are more into going out and actually using thier machines than meeting up to chew the fat although there are some that seem to prefer that option. Its all horses for courses and were all different I suppose.

The thing that I just dont get (and this is just not related to ED38, its the whole VW scene) is the fact that a lot of people are making there cars worse by fitting silly wide wheels with stupidly streched rubber then "slamming" them. It can look good but must completely bugger up the handling etc. The whole trend, stance, silly little sticker, gangsta crew stuff is beyond me, must be getting old.

The rare thing is also quite funny but on the flip side people expect something for nothing these days. You see people offering half of what the (realistic) asking price is and dont see a problem with that. Ebay is to blame, people think thier entilited to a bargin nowadays.

There's a flip side to all this. Sites like this, www.golfgti.co.uk, southern dubbers, No-Rice etc are all that is good about the scene. Varied ages of people wih an interest in driving and modding there cars but keeping some level of sanity and respect for each other. I used to be heavily involved in the Classic Mini Scene and while less bitching there was far more anoraks and beards that made life hard work.

In many ways the VW scene is a victim of it's own success. Enjoy the good stuff and ignore the bad. As for shows I avoid Edition 38 and it's ilk and prefer the more aircooled orientated events and also the events that involve using your car like SPring and SUmmer festival and action days at Castle Combe.

Nick

About 4yrs after this I got my first bike and I wish that the modifiying car scene was more like the bike scene.

Up here they are more into going out and actually using thier machines than meeting up to chew the fat although there are some that seem to prefer that option. Its all horses for courses and were all different I suppose.

Agree with you there mate, but the bike scene is completely different kettle of fish. It's all about ride out and meeting up to go on a trip somewhere.

I've been without a bike for the past 6-12 months and I do keep thinking about getting back into it but my missus is not 100% about riding pillion and I we don't do enough things together at the moment without me buggering off to go riding all day on a sunday!

My Dad has been riding for over 40 years and every single year he does a easter egg run with his bike club in aid of a childrens hospital. Imagine if you suggested a car club did that? You'd be beaten to death with a pack of wheel whores stickers!

My Dad has been riding for over 40 years and every single year he does a easter egg run with his bike club in aid of a childrens hospital. Imagine if you suggested a car club did that? You'd be beaten to death with a pack of wheel whores stickers!

The Stoke Mandeville run?

Funny you should say that as I was looking at doing something similar next Easter for Gt. Ordmond Street... Think I should bother?

Funny you should say that as I was looking at doing something similar next Easter for Gt. Ordmond Street... Think I should bother?

That could be it there, I'd have to double check with him though.

It's definitely a good/worthy idea, and I think it would be possible in a local clubs that were open minded enough and able to organise themselves. Not sure how well it would be received if you put it on E38 though. Not like the bike runs where people come from all over country to join in.

BTW the best "scene" out there at the moment as far as I'm concerend is the whole retro scene. All different brands getting along and having a bal fiddling with motors. Admitadly the Corrado is viewed as a little too young to be considered retro but I think this is just proof of it's ahead of time styling as many newer cars are considered retro when the Rado isnt.

Check out retro rides - http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index ... rd=general

nick

That could be it there, I'd have to double check with him though.

It's definitely a good/worthy idea, and I think it would be possible in a local clubs that were open minded enough and able to organise themselves. Not sure how well it would be received if you put it on E38 though. Not like the bike runs where people come from all over country to join in.[/quote:28h5yh79]

Ah well Balls to it let see what happens... Seem to get better reactions from some of the "Model" boards.

We have a few details to iron out (Including speaking to the Met) and will announce in the new year so for those who want to support a great cause please come along....

BTW the best "scene" out there at the moment as far as I'm concerend is the whole retro scene. All different brands getting along and having a bal fiddling with motors. Admitadly the Corrado is viewed as a little too young to be considered retro but I think this is just proof of it's ahead of time styling as many newer cars are considered retro when the Rado isnt.

nick

I'm kinda with you there. Certainly the aircooled guys have the best shows. Stanford Hall, Stoner Park & BVF are all much better shows than anything watercooled - at least in the UK.

On the other hand I'm more in love with the idea of a Beetle than I am with the thought of owning and driving one. Give me a VR6 anyday.

Dare I suggest the easy going nature of the Retro boys is down to age? I haven't been to a retro meet, but they strike me as the engineering types, building Hot rods and the like in their garages at the weekends. A real eye for carbs, old school engines and knowledge of how to set them up etc....real spanner boys :D They're not interested in 20" Bentley rims, orange leather interiors, leather engine covers or purple venetian blinds on the back windows....

They're not interested in 20" Bentley rims, orange leather interiors, leather engine covers or purple venetian blinds on the back windows....

Who told you about my latest project!?! :(

The car run would be a good idea, there is already a northern 1 every year, forget what its called but goes something like scarborough whitby etc.

or purple venetian blinds on the back windows....

I know 20" Bentley rims, orange leather interiors, leather engine covers are all for real but please please please tell me that purple venetian blinds on the back window is a tongue in cheek comment :nuts:

Just conducted a little experiment to see how many ebay adds containd the word 'rare'

Went on to ebay > car parts and vehicles > car parts

Then typed in 'rare' into the search box and click on the 'chose more' section under 'manufacturer'

The results are as follows:

In 3rd place we have joint effort from Peugeot and Ford with 36 adds containing the word 'rare'

In 2nd place with an impressive 47 we have Land Rover

And at number one, if you hadn't guessed it already, is..........VW with 82 adds containing the word 'rare'

Check out retro rides - http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index ... rd=general

nick

retro rides is good site and one of favorite shows is wheels day awesome show

leather engine covers or purple venetian blinds on the back windows....

I think you might have prepare to eat your words in the new year Kev, purple venetion blinds is a great idea, especially on Nice Gay Violet :lol:

You could control the slats from the spoiler switch - facking awesome!!! 8)

leather engine covers or purple venetian blinds on the back windows....

I think you might have prepare to eat your words in the new year Kev, purple venetion blinds is a great idea, especially on Nice Gay Violet :lol:

You could control the slats from the spoiler switch - facking awesome!!! 8)

But would that be deemed as Enineering?

Scene would be a Blue-tooth set with Diamonte's

Air-cooled went through this with "NOS" (New Old Stock) parts... some were just that, found in the back room of an old dealership... some were manky old rusty tat found in a garage...