Sign in to follow this  
harrisvr6

start, please start.

I got a vr6 rado, and it broke down about half a year ago. I believe it was the head gasket, and heater matrix[ which was bypassed] so it would get me home. Matey at vw reakons it was deffo the head gasket and possibly cracked block or head??

Anyways, i couldnt afford getting it fixed untill now, lo and behold the battery was completley dead, so i gave it a good charge overnight. The dash lights came on and the milage appeared, but nothing, just a very faint ticking???

What could be wrong? when connecting the battery i noticed the water had gone down [usually i keep it at max] but had dropped to around a third to half way from completley empy to max[ on the sphere tank]. could this have seeped into the engine inards and flooded it from within??? it was dead for at east 6months, how can i get it going, just need it to start so i can get to vw.

It's could be a bit stiff from being sat around and the starter motor / solenoid could be struggling (the ticking noise), or the starter could be just dead full stop.

Try turning it over by hand (with the spark plugs removed) by putting a 27mm socket on the crank pulley and turning clockwise. If it turns OK, it's more than likely starter related....

That will be your Battey, i had this problem with mine when i bought it, it was sat on this guys drive for 6 months, we re-chared the battery but it still didnt work. i went and borrowed a battery off a friend and it worked first time.

the charged battery had enough power to start the ignition ect but not enought to turn the car over,

Hope this helps

Yep battery sounds most likely. Could be a seized starter though, had this problem with mine a while back, got a mate to turn the key and keep it held, whilst i bashed the starter with a pole, the shock just freed it up and it fired into life! worth a try!