Sign in to follow this  
RichG60

Speaker pod build

Just a taster of what I've started today. Wanted to convert the standard pods to accept 6.5 inch speakers.

Picture_055.jpg

Picture_056.jpg

Picture_057.jpg

Picture_0581.jpg

I have selaed them with Upol Fibral (fibre glass paste). I have Audioscape contact adhesive and Beige Vinyl to match the interior.

Tomorrow I will be smoothing the edges with filler. Will get a proper guide up when I finish : ).

The dls nobelium mids I'm fitting aren't too deep and don't foul on anything. Plus the new baffles brings the driver closer to the front of the pod and more to the right away from the electric window guide :).

Haven't made any progress today as had work Xmas do and not very motivated :?

Ok didn't manage to spend much time today but have Xmas off now :) so will be hard at work on these tomorrow.

Managed to splash some filler on the pods, let it cure a little bit and then using a surform get the contours a bit smoother (saves lots of time with sanding!).

Pod13.jpg

Pod24.jpg

Pod33.jpg

Pod41.jpg

They are looking good so far, i like how you have kept the original shape of the pods :)

I'm looking to start something like this when my infinity's get delivered over the next week.

I purposefully bought 6.5" so i had to improve upon the original pods :wink:

What are you doing with the electric window switch?

Todays work :-

Podc9.jpg

Podc10.jpg

Podc11.jpg

I have managed to sand the pods down, have given them a coating of primer so tomorrow I can see any spots I have missed. I got hold of some of this Hycote Wrinkle effect paint, tried it out on some scrap wood and the results look promising.

Wrinkle.jpg

They are looking good so far, i like how you have kept the original shape of the pods :)

I'm looking to start something like this when my infinity's get delivered over the next week.

I purposefully bought 6.5" so i had to improve upon the original pods :wink:

What are you doing with the electric window switch?

I have retained the electric window switch position on the passenger side pod, the electric side mirror adjuster was on the drivers side pod. I have the loom to switch its position to the door grab. The electric window switch is on the drivers door card lol

Sorry it's so confusing!

hi rich im thinking of doing the same kind of thing on my corrado. have you made anymore progress since your last post?

some more pics would be nice

Sorry its been a while. I have covered one pod in vinyl and have the other one to finish off this weekend.

Also took the whole interior out and laid the cable, built an amp rack and installed my Pioneer P9 so ready to go : )

Need to wire up the components: - DLS Nobelium mid bass drivers and Genesis Absolute Tweeters / DLS Nobelium tweeters (Not sure which ones will image better in the stock location). Wire the amps up (Series 3 Genesis Dual Mono and 4 channel) and Pioneer DEQ. Have left the JL 500/1 out until I get a sub enclosure / build one.

I have not installed my Aliante sub, bit gutted that a 10inch enclosure popped up for sale and I missed it. For the time being I will be running Genesis 6 x 9 subs in the parcel shelf to save space (Already installed in the stealth shelf).

I need to get my oscilloscope out and check my gains again on the amps. Finally I will get the RTA out and set the system up. I have 2 tools a Phonic PAA3 RTA handheld device along with a laptop with Win MLS and Behringer condenser mic / M-audio preamp. So between the 2 RTA’s should get a good picture of what I need to do to get it sounding ok.

Will get pictures up at the weekend : )

Awesome effort! What are your thoughts on the Genesis 6x9 subs? I use Genesis Audiophile 6.5s and I love them. I seriously considered the mini subs but Mr Piano/Cheese/Hay-Wire ended up selling a load of his kit to me in the end and I use a 10.

I used to have the audiophile component set and they are very nice sounding.

I haven't had the 6x9 subs running yet (brand new) so will tell you when they are wired in : )

Smart idea rich. love the stealth aspect and it takes up minimal space. top job

do they get hot at all?

what are the amps running?

Thanks buddy,

Where the the amps are hidden away behind the seats there is plenty of room for them as they sit in the apex. They don't touch the seats and there is ventilation at the top.

I have the Dual mono powering the DLS Nobelium mids and 4 channel powering the Tweeters and the other channels bridged to run the Genesis 6 x 9 subs : )

I haven't had anything playing yet as need to get the tweeters and mids installed.

They look much nicer than the audioscape ones which are too curvy imo. Really good :thumbleft: Sorry that was me that bought the sub enclosure!!

i might start my door pods this weekend. i think i might add the tweeters and crossovers to the build as well.

i was taking the interior trim out of the c today and noticed that there are tons of storage spaces.. spaces that can be filled with hidden ice :lol:

make sure you post up pics of when they are fitted rich

im thinking of doing a different speaker build aswell. if you think it will be a good/worthwhile idea then i will try it and post up a build thread

the idea is to fit a set of 13cm components on the rear parcel shelf supports

speakerbuild.jpg

it would require a fair bit of work and some slight adjustments to the rear shelf but it should still look pretty standard when its finished.

What do you think?

I think there is absolutely no need for rear speakers.

I agree, don't add rear speakers. A decent set of well fitted components in the front will be enough. The rado isn't large enough to warrant rear speakers, it would also drag the sound stage back which you don't want to do.

so you all think its a bad idea :lol:

sourcecars have made some amazing cars junkie(not practical but still good)

you are all saying rear speakers are not needed. does that include 6x9's? or would you regard them as just supplying bass?

im confused, i always though of music being staged throughout the whole car. i obviously have got a lot to learn :(