Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

Painting Wheels - How To?

Bonjour!

I've got a set of Audi RS4 reps, I was going to sell them and buy something else but funds are low so i'm thinking about painting them black and sticking with them.

I've had a little search and cant find a good 'how-to' on painting wheels, so - any advice here on what paint/primer etc to buy and how to go about painting them?

:awesome:

Be really sure you will be able to do a good job first mate. Not doubting you but I was quoted £100 for 4 wheels resprayed or powdercoated. I've sprayed stuff myself before and spend a fortune on primer, paint, laquer only to do an iffy job which took me ages! That said when I have sprayed stuff and got it right its really satisfying. Wouldnt want to suggest any methods though as I probably go about it totally wrong! Good luck!

£100 for 4 wheels? :eek: that seems pretty damn cheep! I assumed it would be double that! I'll have a ring around next week and get some quotes.

i tend to rub the wheels down with wet+dry, depending on condition of wheels apply primer, wet+dry again, then panel wipe them, clean of any dirt, then apply paint in layers.

Layers

1."the biting layer" - light coverage of spray paint.

2. 2nd light spray paint,

3.allow to dry and then wet+dry and panel wipe again,

4.slight heavier coat of paint

5. Allow to dry over night

6. light wet and dry, panel wipe, again coat it

7.lacquer if you wish.

(i use spray cans)

here ive masked off the rim

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/nmahi/?action=view&current=19092008205-small.jpg

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/nmahi/?action=view&current=07102008212.jpg

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/nmahi/?action=view&current=07102008218-small.jpg

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/nmahi/?action=view&current=07102008216-small.jpg

simoniz matt black engine enamel is awesome stuff, i did my RC's with this stuff last february and they still look brand new, i only did 2 coats then shoved them in the oven to really bake the paint on.

it did stink the kitchen out though, and before anybody says it, yes i did take the tyres off.

simoniz matt black engine enamel is awesome stuff, i did my RC's with this stuff last february and they still look brand new, i only did 2 coats then shoved them in the oven to really bake the paint on.

it did stink the kitchen out though, and before anybody says it, yes i did take the tyres off.

thats what i use aswell.......brilliant stuff

if you go to a powdercoaters they're normally £80 - £120 to bead blast and coat a set of 4.. not much more than doing it yourself and so much easier!

i did mine, i think one of the threads above is of mine.

i'd pay for a proper job if i'm honest, mine came out well but not 100% happy with them, the laquer finish is hard to get right. And it does end up costing quite a lot in primer, paint, sand paper, laquer, dremel bits etc

Just doing the original 16" rims off Sarahs 4Motion. Pretty scabby with bad lacquer peel and bits of corrosion all over the place, fortunately no chunks missing.

Doing them in dark metallic grey and will be used as winter wheels so am not too fussed about a top quality finish but pleasantly surprised at the results, my process has been:

Rub down with 200 grade w+d

Coat of grey primer followed by flat down with 600 grade w+d

Two coats of satin black followed by flat down with 1200 grade w+d

Two coats of top coat followed by flat down with 2400 grade w+d - allowed to harden for at least 24 hours

Two coats of lacquer - allowed to harden for 48 hours

Two coats of Poorboys wheel sealant then a couple of coats of Collinite

Got to be powder coat mate :tongue: I done mine on the Punto. Got a set of coupe wheels and refurbished them in our 'Black Sparkle'..Powder coat is very tough, durable and easy to clean..Heres a before and after..

DSCF1193-1.jpg

DSCF1201.jpg

Got a set of coupe wheels and refurbished them in our 'Black Sparkle'

does that mean you work for a wheel refurber mate? any chance of Cforum discount? :wink:

Got a set of coupe wheels and refurbished them in our 'Black Sparkle'

does that mean you work for a wheel refurber mate? any chance of Cforum discount? :wink:

Not as such..Its just that we do have a powder coat plant for our products...Sorry but we can only do our own wheels :scratch: Not worth losing a job over :lol: