Sign in to follow this  
joinerboy

My corrado VR6 - progress

hello all, im recently new to the forum and to Corrado ownership

i just thought i would start a thread on the life of my VR6 (which is at this moment in time nameless)

i brought her about a month ago after seeing the ad on ebay. i went up to see her and it was love at first sight. she is in great condition

she is a 94' with 78778 miles on the clock and a full service history

Corrado-ebaypic2.jpgCorrado-ebaypic1.jpg

these are the pics i got off ebay, i have yet to take some of my own but i will do soon

she has her faults,

heater fan not working(i have a new one just need to fit it)

slight lacquer peel on some panels(not sure what to do yet)

and a misty front fog light

but other than that all electrics work spot on and she has no rust!

i have plans for her but nothing major. YET :wink:

suspension upgrade first on my list

Looks very nice. I'd sort the lacque peel out asap. You can buff it down and try to blend it but moisture and cack will always work its way under the laquer. Mine's off to the bodyshop next week for a partial re-spray to address that very issue :)

yep adz it is completely standard

the car is under cover at the moment neil so i will prob do lacquer peel last, just in case i damage the paintwork while im working

some more progress pics:

i got the rear axel off the other day(i had to cut one of the bolts off)

there wasnt a lot of rust but i treated what was there. i sanded it down and gave it a spray of a rust protection paint.

100_1826.jpg

i sprayed the axel black today.

im waiting for my my new bushes to turn up now so i can fit it again and move on with the suspension

two of the bolts holding on the rear brakes are siezed. thats my job for tomorrow

so now the rear axel is completely stripped and sprayed. i have just got to wait for the spray to cure properly

i have had to cut the heads off 3 bolts now :( - im finding new muscles :lol:

now onto the front

100_1830.jpg

the c is all jacked up. removed the front brakes earlier.

there is some more rust on some of the components im not changing so i have got more cleaning/spraying to do

my powerflex bushes turned up today and i ordered all my new bolts from VW. i should have everything i need

i got next week off work so hopefully im going to get the majority of the suspension finished :)

i picked up the bolts today from VW Canterbury. the guy who works on the parts desk called taffy was a top bloke and was happy to help which was nice

my new brakes will be turning up next week.

Ap racing 4 pots up front and a big rear disc conversion. Godspeed are making a cool set up for the rears. it will make changing the rear discs as easy as the fronts (hopefully)

i have now just got to work out what to order for replacement rear calipers(im trying to go down the Mk4 golf upgrade path)

im going to try and get some more pics next week of progress

for now some tasters of whats to come

100_1828.jpg100_1829.jpg

some very good progress mate, what wheels you going for then?? as your gonna need some 17's for the AP's

karl

hi Karl

im getting 16's - Black MO competition 6 spoke

the alloys are being made from scratch so they have checked the clearance of the calipers and its looking good so far - fingers crossed :lol:

should be a snug fit - i think others on here are running Ap's with 16's though

ye coullstar they dont charge any extra to change the offset which is cool

i got my new rear mk4 calipers and carriers today. im going up the workshop latter to paint them

heres the before:

DSC00103.jpg

at last some progress:

DSC00106.jpg

5 bolts needed grinding off but i eventually removed the front subframe in one piece :lol:

i was so happy last night when i had finished it. now im going to cover it in gunk and see if it needs any rust treatment

i have painted the rear calipers but need to get some pics of them to post

wheels have now def been order(only needed to move them out 5mm to clear the calipers) 14- 21 days turn around is a long time to wait though :(

It'll fly by (and gives you time to contemplate what to fix next :) ). Keep it up old boy,

Tom

Iv been a little busy lately and my beloved VR6 hasnt had much attention. poor girl. that is all about to change(hopefully)

I finished off the sub frame. i got arms like Arnie now after all that sanding :lol: minimal spots of surface rust needed to be treated then i resprayed it

this is the finished result n im pretty pleased how it turned out

DSC00115.jpg

i got new engine mounts(ouch!! VW really stings your wallet) then re fitted the subframe. not the easiest job in the world but i got there eventually.

also fitted new ARB and wishbones with powerflex bushes but i will talk more about that when i take some pics

more to come

How did you treat the subframe?.

primer, paint etc?.........gona do pretty much the same with mine soon....:)

hi Mawrick

i used hammerite Kurust on the rust spots.(its meant to convert rust to metal or something like that,it worked anyway)

i then sprayed it with Hammerite Anti rust primer and finished it with a couple of coats of Black metal spray paint

got it all from halfords and it wasnt to expensive just a bit time consuming

hope that helps

ok a lot of progress has been made.i will take some pictures to show you as my thread def needs an update

brakes are nearly all done and she has lost a lot of weight. she will be on the road soon .. i hope

ok first update to mention - new alarm fitted.

we had some pikeys hanging around the workshop and then a caravan got stolen :lol: so i thought it was time to secure my ride. brought the alarm a bit on impulse.. bit expensive looking back

DSC00192.jpg

top quality alarm though packed with features, plus i got remote start with is cool. it has text alert so i know when it goes off(i now sleep with my phone) and its got a tracker fitted just in case they manage to pinch it.

brought it from gap secirity. not overly impressed with service or fitting but it works. its a little to sensitive and buzzes at anyfin. need to change the settings i think. anyone else got this alarm and know how to?

Without wishing to be the harbinger of doom GAP have got a terrible reputation. They're paid by the installation so there's no incentive for the technicians to take time over their work. I had an alarm installed by them which went wrong and was subsequently re-installed by Huets and the quality of the original job invalidated any CAT 1 status the alarm had in the first place. Any place which installs alarms from a van without proper workshop facilites is a bit dodgy in my opinion. The other thing to consider is that (I think) having a remote start invalidates any kind of Thatcham accreditation which will be necessary for your insurer to recognise your alarm. There are some good places on this forum for alarm fitters, the likes of Trimwizard which has dozens of happy customers (me included)