Sign in to follow this  
CorradoVR6-Turbo

First ever produced VR6 motor in MK2 golf...?

Hello all and happy festive greetings! :tongue:

While being board out of my mind I found a pic on my PC...then looked closer,I think its a early VR6 motor in development as prototype in a MK2 golf,looks like a Porsche set up...but the plug leads are staggered like the VR..

Does any body have any more info on this? :scratch:

that has to be a prototype for the VR looking at that (inlet manifold, rockers, plugs etc), looks like have they tilted the engine for clearance issues instead of running the manifold over the rocker cover...

(be interesting to know what date that piccie was taken)

that's really interesting, i've never heard of anything like that before; guess they must have needed a car for the development of the VR and the golf might have been it at the time.

didn't the VR6 originally take ages to develop - they tried to bring it out sooner than they actually did, but failed due to issues when designing it i think...

cool pic anyway - cheers! :D

The plugs are in the centre of the head, like the 24, and 16v so it's got a different head casting.

For sure its allot different,but its still the makings of the 15deg V6 and that was back in the 80s!

More digging on the net and found out that they made a RV6 motor 4wd sirocco in 1988! and that has 2.5 litres 24valves! also intended for the Corrado

So as you said Pete,they tried and tried untill the got it right...

that rocco is awesome! :D

wonder why they took so long to bring out the 24V VR if they were working on it all the way back then???

the golf mk4 was the 1st time we saw the 24v wasn't it and that was late nineties!

I think they were toying with the idea for some time but probably marketing decided to bin it.... :scratch:

This article says they were going to bring out 4 new versions of the VR6,one is the 24v engine, 2.5 litre 12valve?! ,2.8 litre diesel!!!!! ,and a supercharged VR6 code named "G60"...and we know what happened to that. :lol:

Just goes to show that the technology was there but it was board meetings that decided there fate... :?

There was an article in Volkswagen Driver a few years ago explaining the process behind going for the VR. VW and Audi both developed solutions and they were both evaluated IIRC. Audi's was a more conventional mutlicylinder I think.

Just threw out the magazine before Chritstmas, woops.

great thread.

I love hearing about vw R&D.

I agree, I love looking at the pictures and articles and picking interesting little snippets out. Like the PAS tank on the RV-6. and the fact it's also a crossflow, but going backwards to the production VR6 so the exhaust comes out the front and snuffles away under the sump.