Sign in to follow this  
dg

squeaky clutch

I have a VR6 - the clutch sometimes squeakes when starting off. - Is it wear related, how difficult is it ti check the clutch?

if it just sounds squeaky from the footwell when the clutch pedal is depressed then all it is....is the plastic bit at the bottom of the dash getting slightly deformed and getting "flex'd" when the clutch pedal is depressesdi think from either too much heat or the recent cold weather........sounds totally weird but mine was squeaking like mad last year when we had a cold snap.....and thats what it was all down to :?

thanks for the replies

the squeak is in the engine bay area so may be the clutch release bearing. Is it a big job to replace the bearing?

Sounds like I have the same problem. Does it sounds a bit like a creaking door? Dunno how else to describe it. I might try and make a recording of it at the weekend.

yes - it's the same noise as a creaking door

anyone had a clutch change done recently - if so how much?

My car has this problem,

Will be left until somethin else major is done at the same time e.g timing chains, tappets, head gasket, clutch etc and the engine is apart. Its not the part that costs its the labor, unless of coarse u can do it yaself.

yes - it's the same noise as a creaking door

anyone had a clutch change done recently - if so how much?

Mine done that from when I bought my car. 6 months and 5000miles later the clutch started slipping.

Best price I got was £235 fitted from Star Performance, im getting a Quaiffe diff fitted as well though so the final bill will be quite a bit more.

Should get my car back within the next few days. :D

I just had my clutch replaced on my G60 because it was slipping and it cost me about 900$ Canadian.

Do you mean a squeal as you're pulling away or just a creak as you depress the pedal? If the latter, a lot of VR6s do it. Nothing to worry about.

K

I have got release bearing noise on mine that I hear when the car is warm and the clutch pedal is up, I am going to get the bearing, actuator fork and sleeve replaced next year.

But as Kev says if the noise is just a 'creak' when the pedal is pressed/released then a bit of grease on the return spring may help?

Another good tip is to change/bleed the fluid as I don't think most places do this as part as a brake fluid change on a service.

I changed box's on my c not that long ago and i dont mind sayin it was possibly the worst thing i had ever done in my life, my mother was ashemed of me cos of the amount of swearin i did :lol: Trust me dont skimp out and take it to a garage or you will go :mad:

I was going to suggest the slave cylinder and at least a full brake fluid change - this improved the clutch action on my VR a lot, it used to noticeably creak before I got that done.