Sign in to follow this  
Chris Langdon

Snow foam and detailing products

hi still pretty new to the detailing world, and starting to really get the bug since a few of you on here, recommended Zymol pre wax cleaner (cheers kip) and DODO juice (cheers andy 665 and A1 vr6) but im now looking at the other products i use and think if there are any improvements i can make???

ive seen on this website about snow foam what is it? and what does it do? and where is a good place to get it from? Also a number of you are using Megs hyper wash, again what is the gains over normal car shampoo, im using two Auto glym shampoo & conditioner and also sometimes Megs gold class shampoo.

also i have read on a couple of sites that Sonus and chemical Guys products are better than Megs as i mainly use these products i.e tyre dressing, plastic conditioner etc

i also saw this product this guy was using to finish his corrado, i think its called zaino? ive never heard off it what does it do?

the DODO juice i am using at the mo is Purple haze and its a moonlight blue VR

any help and advise i would be most gratful

cheers

chris

i got the cleaning bug when i got my corrado, bought loads and loads of products, now i have a routine worked out and i don't actually use too many polishes, cleaners, wax that i bought.

i always use snow foam though, the idea is to prewash the car and get all the large particles of dirt and grit off, without rubbing it all over your paintwork.

my tips for snow foam would be:

-buy a decent foam gun 1st time round, don't try getting the cheaper ones first, you'll only end up buying the expensive one anway.

-most snow foams are the same thing, i find the clear ones are best, also no need to mix in shampoo with it etc, just use the foam

-you need a good pressure washer to get the most from the gun

i wouldn't go replacing your products you already have just because of internet reviews.

i've tried loads of different products and found what i think to be the best, but everyone seems to have different opinions.

DSC00409.jpg

I bought the snow foam lance (decent one £45) for my Karcher pressure washer and its OK. Its looks really good when it goes on but i Don't think it gets rid of that much dirt. Its also stuck in my pressure washer and I can't get it out. I use the clear snow foam but mix in a bit of maxi suds.

Personally I can live without one but each to their own. I equally bought a lot of cleaning products but tend to only use a few. I like the Sonus gloss shampoo.

I also bought a meguiars polisher which is excellent at removing scratches and restoring the paintwork. Not used it much though and waiting for warmer weather.

I've been snow-foaming for a while now. I use the Bilt Hamber Auto Foam (they do a great car shampoo called Auto Wash), through a foam lance on my Lavor pressure washer.

I find it great as a pre-wash, removing the worst of the dirt before you start with your shampooing (I use a lambswool mitt, Bilt Hamber Auto Wash and the 'industry standard' 2 bucket method). This means there is less chance of you causing swirls when you shampoo, as the worst of the grit & dirt will have been removed.

The best piece of advice I can give re: foaming is to ensure you get the correct dilution levels. If you don't do this then the foam won't work to its maximum capabilities (this goes for mixes which are too strong or too weak). As all pressure washers, foam lances and snow foams are different, there is not one setting that can guarantee the corect dilution. There is however a fairly time-consuming way of guaranteeing you get it spot on (if you want me to explain, then let me know). Once you've achieved this then the results are great.

Oh, and its brilliant fun covering your car in loads and loads of foam...

i was using megs hyper wash last year for snow foam and its very good

but i decided to try valet pro,s snow foam this year will post up id its any good

Chris, not used snow-foam so can't comment...

However, bin the A-Glymm shampoo, I too used to use it but now use the Megs Gold Class which gives enough suds and "slides" better over paintwork (again swirl reducing).

This next statement will send some people into a fit but I still use a Chamois Leather to dry the car, tried a "Water Magnet" type drying towel and just didn't think it worked as well as the Chamois. It's just a matter of looking after it properly and it's fine!

Also to other products I use?

Megs Clay kit.

Megs Stage 1 paint cleaner

Autoglym SRP (best product for hiding any swirls I have found)

Autoglym EGP (Extra Gloss Protection - Gold label) an excellent and easy to use sealer, makes the shine last longer.

Followed by Colinite 915 wax which is a really good "wet-look" wax and has a long life, brilliant for winter.

As most have said it's a case of trial and error, in the valeting bag I also have Megs stage 2 (replaced by SRP) Megs Gold class wax (nice but only last a couple weeks), Zymol cleaner wax (only used to clean mirrors/glass in the house! Rubbish on cars) etc etc..

With all products it's a matter of use the correct applicator (megs foam pads are great, give them a spritz of QD first to stop product sinking in, you use less that way), and use a good Microfibre for removal. Also when applying try to use as little product as possible, and layer them. I generally try to get 2 layers of each down.

A good final finish is all down to time and effort I'm afraid, bad prep will show no matter how expensive the wax! I can spend upwards of 5hrs on the car doing a "full detail" but that's only couple times a year. After that is just regular washing and applying wax!

For external trim I still find Autoglym Bumper care (or "Snot as it's lovingly known, - green gel) is excellent for the Black plastics. Again thin layers is the key!

Saying all that, I'm looking at Poorboys stuff for the summer as apparently they give great results and can be aplied in direct sunlight as well! (If we get any sun this year!). If you need a site to spend too much money, I suggest Elite Car Car, owner Alex is a dubber and always there for good advice!

Sorry for the essay but, HTH.