Sign in to follow this  
Gforceuk

What small mods make all the difference?

Nice mate. i had every intention of sorting the paint on mine this yr with a full spray but with the price of shares at the mo im unlocking none of em :(

May settle for front end & rear bumper + the plate surround now :D It really does look top! She really is getting some treats this winter!! Currently sizing up new brakes too :D

Again great looking motor :salute:

Yeah I was surprised by the Euro kids this yr, I thought they were all very much a "less is more" crowd..... ah well each to thier own.

the last thing i want to do is ruin mine.....

I just want to make it look smart and have a bit of extra performance if i need it..

Now when people say they have a bda air filter ... is that just an air filter or an induction kit ?

cheers for all the replies , much appreciated.

Hello mate, the BMC CDA (carbon dynamic airbox) is a carbon cylinder with an air filter inside. They're pretty pricey, but many people on here have them, I liked mine a lot when I had one and I think it was Stealth who got a +7hp difference after it was fitted. It makes a sweet induction noise too.

You can also get a plastic version which is cheaper, think its called the DIA, there is or was one for sale in the parts section.

Just noticed your in Notts mate.

If it helps you, you are welcome to come over to my neck of the woods (matlock) and I will gladly take you for a spin so you can see if a BMC filter is your cup of tea or not/decide what mods you fancy :D

Matt

Just had a think of all the "subtle" stuff I've done on mine over the past 6 years. It's a lot more than I thought!

Black VW badge in front grille

Black detailed headlights

Colour coded rear VW badge and

Corrado badge, engine type badging binned (front and rear)

Clear side repeaters

Colour coded side mouldings (looks better than just taking them off imo)

Colour coded door handles

Custom high level brake light

Colour coded no. plate surround

Rear wiper scrapped (I use mine daily and never used it, it's just dead weight)

Audi TT wipers

Etc

Any close up pics Kev? Never noticed this on your car - prob busy staring at the engine @ the time :D

Cheers - C

Couple of quick suggestions :

1) Convert rear light cluster so that both foglights work. If you open the panel up the bulb holder on the non-operational side is covered by a blanking plate which is easily removed. The bulb holder is already wired up, so just insert bulb & it's job done.

2) Swap the foglight switches in the cockpit around. I personally prefer to have the front fogs switch on the left. I normally find the right hand button is obscured from view by the steering wheel. Sounds stupid, but I liked it.

3) If you want a growl of a VR6 without the cost of an induction kit, remove the airbox and drill some holes in the bottom section ONLY before refitting. This will free up the airflow a bit, makes a great noise, and is easily reversible if you don't like it by covering the holes with some duct tape.

HTH,

John

Swap the foglight switches in the cockpit around. I personally prefer to have the front fogs switch on the left

Did you used to own my C John, cause my front fogs button is on the left, rears on the right???

Any close up pics Kev? Never noticed this on your car - prob busy staring at the engine @ the time :D

Cheers - C

Haven't got any mega close ups, but these are the only useful pics I have on my work computer.....

My detailed headlights versus StormchargedVR6's non detailed ones below :D I hate the look of the stock corrado lights, too much silver. Partioning the lamps with black paint gives the front a lot more character imo :D

My indicators and fogs have had a little black work done too, which is more subtle.

Couple of quick suggestions :

1) Convert rear light cluster so that both foglights work. If you open the panel up the bulb holder on the non-operational side is covered by a blanking plate which is easily removed. The bulb holder is already wired up, so just insert bulb & it's job done.

2) Swap the foglight switches in the cockpit around. I personally prefer to have the front fogs switch on the left. I normally find the right hand button is obscured from view by the steering wheel. Sounds stupid, but I liked it.

3) If you want a growl of a VR6 without the cost of an induction kit, remove the airbox and drill some holes in the bottom section ONLY before refitting. This will free up the airflow a bit, makes a great noise, and is easily reversible if you don't like it by covering the holes with some duct tape.

HTH,

John

Some good little tips there 8)

Partioning the lamps with black paint gives the front a lot more character imo :D

My indicators and fogs have had a little black work done too, which is more subtle.

Looks good. Is there a guide to do this anywhere Kev?

Cheers :D

It's one of those things you do when you're bored, and then think, actually, that doesn't look half bad, LOL!

I've not typed up any guides on it, but all you need to do is remove the headlight, pull off the black plastic surround (careful not to lose the 1 way clips), then you need to unclip the glass from the headlight carcass by removing the 10 or so grey metal clips. I just wedged a screwdriver in the middle and levered them off.

With the inner part of the headlight exposed, give it a nice clean up. A good chance to check for "yellowing" (Chrome flaking off) whilst you're there. On either side of the reflective bowls, you'll notice flat sections with vertical ribs. It's these ribs you paint black. I used smoothrite :D

Then reassemble the lights and you're done!