Sign in to follow this  
20vtvw

how can i remove rear quarter glass??

i have noticed a bit of rust around my rear quarters and wonderd if it is possible to remove sort the rust and fit it back myself ?? if i manage to get the glass and ruber surround out what should i use to stick it back together??

thanks .,hope someone can help .. :notworthy:

As I understand it this is a REAL pig of a job and you risk breaking the glass (which is not cheap)

If there is any possibility I would try and treat the rust with window in place.

Matt

So you sit in the back seat, take the trim off and get a Stanley knife... then 14hrs, 8 packs of blades, 4 shredded fingers and more swear words than you thought you knew later... it's cut out and away you go :lol:

Then you spend a few more hours cleaning it up so it's ready to be bonded back into the car with some Wurth black gooey stick stuff (windscreen bonder?).

It's not a fun job...

Is the rust actually going under the window seal? If it isn't I would leave the window and seal in place, but pull the rubber away from the bodywork and stuff some chord under it to keep it away, that way any new paint still goes under the seal. Someone else on here told me about doing that, tis a good idea. :)

You can go and see some local windscreen places, some of them will take them out for you for a little cash in hand :) They will however take no responsiblity if they break them, but a good windscreen place should have no problems, i have had mine out twice in the last 5 years with no problems.

The will bond them back in for you aswell for another nominal price.

Beavisjem

You can go and see some local windscreen places, some of them will take them out for you for a little cash in hand :) They will however take no responsiblity if they break them, but a good windscreen place should have no problems

Beavisjem

I called 6 local places up and nobody wanted to know :(

You can go and see some local windscreen places, some of them will take them out for you for a little cash in hand :) They will however take no responsiblity if they break them, but a good windscreen place should have no problems

Beavisjem

I called 6 local places up and nobody wanted to know :(

Have you tried some of the smaller companies, man in a van types i found the major ones didn;t really want to know because they didn't want to break the window. I found a guy who works for himself and he was happy to sort it for me.

Good luck

Beavisjem

Get your wife/girlfriend to drive in and ask, worked for me once, although not on a Corrado!

Inspired thinking man!!

Theyre bonded in, ideally need an osolating glass cutting tool, stanley blades will take for ever, make more of a mess and likely to end up in AnE after slipping. Whoever's doing ur paintwork should have access to one? Buzz it out, use a "gasket scraper" to remove the left over sealer from both glass and body, repair and paint as required, prime the paint, apply sealer to primer, line up any location legs on the glass to the holes in bodywork or copy gaps on other side and press in, Tape in place to stop from dropping/moving.

:salute:

sounds like lots of fun :scratch: think i will try and get someone to take them out for me and i will sort the rust and stick em back in thanks for the advice didnt think it would be easy!!

i have just watched recently the glass taken out of my car... they used a piano wire type stuff like thicker cheese wire... pushed it throught the gasket/bonding then the wire gets wrapped around a metal spindle one each and and you literally slice around the window and it comes out be carful doing it though you can easily cut the paint.....use plenty of lube too...like fairy liquid with water

The wire is better for panels your replacing or dont need to worry about painting as it 90% of the time will scratch a surface sumwhere, plus ideally you need two people to use it without struggling like a d**k.