Sign in to follow this  
greasegriff

My quest for the perfect Storm! Now supercharged..

oh btw,your Corrado won't ever qualify for free road tax under the current legislation,the 25 year tax exemption was stopped from being rolling in 1997/8,so cars only up to 1972/73 are tax exempt

No way! :mad2: No point keeping it now!! Anyone want to buy a Storm?!

Haven't updated this for a while so here goes! Just had the car back from the garage and had a few bits done :

[strike:1he1tarl]1. Lowered on coilovers (thinking KW but open to suggestions)[/strike:1he1tarl]

[strike:1he1tarl]2. New exhaust (again, would love some advice on this in the future)[/strike:1he1tarl]

3. Re-map

[strike:1he1tarl]4. Induction kit (thinking BMC CDA)[/strike:1he1tarl]

5. [strike:1he1tarl]288[/strike:1he1tarl]/280 [strike:1he1tarl]brake upgrade[/strike:1he1tarl]

[strike:1he1tarl]6. Clear side repeaters[/strike:1he1tarl]

[strike:1he1tarl]7. De-wiper the rear[/strike:1he1tarl]

[strike:1he1tarl]8. Uprated headlight loom[/strike:1he1tarl]

[strike:1he1tarl]9. 16" alloys[/strike:1he1tarl] - although I went for 17's!

10. Moonroof

11. Red brake calipers

12.Red rear lights

13. DDI dials

14. A trip to Stealth for some extras! Quite like the sound of a turbo!

[strike:1he1tarl]15. Sort out a couple of small patches of rust on the drivers side door and rear sill[/strike:1he1tarl]

A silly women went into me in the supermarket carpark and dented a wing so with 'betterment' from the insurance, I got a few small patches of rust sorted out. Looking almost pristine now although a bonnet re-spray wouldn't go amiss! Maybe when she's a second car and not a daily this will get done.

Also got my 2 box Jetex fitted. Really pleased with it. Looks lovely and shiney and doesn't sound chavvy in the slightest. The garage commented that they thought it was very good quality too which is always reassuring.

Few more bits to do but for now I'm happy. I've got Schimmel 263's to go in in the near future but still wondering if I should get tappets replaced as a matter of course when this is done or if I should leave alone? Once they're in, I shall be making a trip to Stealth for a rolling road re-map then jobs a good un!

As in the above replies, I'm now considering a Schrick too - any comments from people who've had/got one would be welcome!!

Pics to come in the morning as long as the biblical rains subside!

http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/jetex_exhausts_chooser.php?mak=Volkswagen&mod=Corrado+VR6&mat=Stainless+Steel

what the difference between the two on their website?? which one did you go for and have you got any pics with it fitted

Cheers

Jon

I wondered the very same thing before I got mine. One is a 2 box, the other a 3 box. From what I can work out, the 3 box is a little more restrictive and a little quieter. However, I went for the 2 box and it's not too loud for me. Shall have pics in the morning but I think it looks pretty good!

So yours is the second one in the list??

Yeah. Click on the pictures and you'll see that one has a straight through pipe (on the right of the pic) and the other has a silencer unit. Don't think it'll make too much difference to be honest which is kind of the reason I went for the cheaper 2 box version.

I'll get pics up tomorrow and if I'm feeling techie, maybe a vid!

Cheers fella new exhaust for me soon between magnex and jetex now after you commenting on good fitment and not too boomy!!

Great progress, like your list a lot :)

I think new new tappets are definitely the recommended way to go (INA ones IIRC). I got Stealth to fit them at the same time as the cams.

Lovely car! Did you have to have any arch work done to fit the 17s? What tyre dimensions are you using?

I'm about to lower my car with some old but refurbed 17" ABTs (not sure on offset) but I do know that they are 8.5" wide and will be shod with 205/40 Falkens.

Would be interested to hear if you have any rubbing issues!

I enjoy reading this thread along with Vornwend's members gallery as there's always lots of ideas about what I can achieve with my Storm. Mine's still extremely standard but all might change in 2010. If it sees me through the winter without letting me down then I think it's time to reward the old girl. A 140k makeover awaits....that's mileage not cost I hope. :clap:

read through the thread and really liking the way you have it looking, you pretty much have everything on your list which i want done too, and as said above the difference in stance is night and day in those pics - looks really good

look forward to hearing what you think when you get the engine work done with shrick, cams and remap

last thing, are rear wiper an mot requirement? Norn Iron has a government run mot test centres so a little more stringent than rest of uk?

Cheers for the comments guys, I'm liking the way it's going so far.

IMG_1013.jpg

This is a pic of the Jetex. It was shiny until I started running up and down the motorway - all cacked up already now!! It's settling in well, even feels a bit more responsive but I may be dreaming on this note!!

The Rx's have got Kumho 250/40/17's on. I did a fair bit of research into tyres before I went for these and they seem really good. I had all the suspension and wheels changed at the same time so I haven't really got a benchmark to test it to but it grips a hell of a lot better than the last set-up (i.e. - stock!). They rubbed when the suspension was first on but the garage slammed it - think they liked the look! I raised it up about 10mm and it's cured now.

Can't wait to get the engine tinkered with although I'm not sure when that's going to be. Stealth are a good couple of hours from me and they'd need it left with them I think so not all that practical. Something will get sorted in the New Year no doubt!!

Good luck with all your cars - it's really not that tricky once you get started. As I've said in Vornwends thread - most of my ideas came from his car and I'm very appreciative of his ideas!S

read through the thread and really liking the way you have it looking, you pretty much have everything on your list which i want done too, and as said above the difference in stance is night and day in those pics - looks really good

look forward to hearing what you think when you get the engine work done with shrick, cams and remap

last thing, are rear wiper an mot requirement? Norn Iron has a government run mot test centres so a little more stringent than rest of uk?

I'm pretty sure it's not a requirement too. Lots of cars haven't got rear wipers. Don't quote me on it though!

I'm pretty sure it's not a requirement too. Lots of cars haven't got rear wipers. Don't quote me on it though!

I have been thinking the very same thing recently as I'm thinking of removing my'n.......I know other cars dont have rear wipers Alfa GTV for one......but not sure if there is some regulation that says it should have one if it came out the factory with one :scratch: ........can anyone comprehensively clear this up ??

Love the car by the way, stance is absolutely perfect :notworthy:

afaik if there is a wiper there the blade has to be in working order but if ther eisnt anything there its NOT a failure!

afaik if there is a wiper there the blade has to be in working order but if ther eisnt anything there its NOT a failure!

cheers guys, i think ill just bluff it at the MOT... "nah mate, them rados never came with rear wipers" :D

cheers guys, i think ill just bluff it at the MOT... "nah mate, them rados never came with rear wipers" :D

Mine's been MOT'd without the wiper on and they didn't say 'ought! Although, they didn't mention the piece of insulation tape over the ABS light either (still on the list of things to sort out!).

Mine's been MOT'd without the wiper on and they didn't say 'ought! Although, they didn't mention the piece of insulation tape over the ABS light either (still on the list of things to sort out!).

Neither are requirements.... TVRs don't have ABS and E36 BMWs don't have rear wipers.

ABS is a requirement if fitted as standard and as your is a storm it will be a requirement. Find a garage with VAGCOM and you can then find out whats causing your light to illuminate, could be something simple like a sensor!!

ABS is a requirement if fitted as standard and as your is a storm it will be a requirement. Find a garage with VAGCOM and you can then find out whats causing your light to illuminate, could be something simple like a sensor!!

All these mixed messages! Nah, it is on my list of things to sort out. The guy who owned it before me said it was a sensor but he hadn't bothered replacing it either. How much are ABS sensors to replace?