Sign in to follow this  
MikeVR6

Opinions on Mk4 GTI Turbo

Spotted a nice looking 2001 Golf GTI Turbo for sale not far from home.

Nice spec, Metallic Black, Xenons, heated leather recaros, climate, factory upgraded audio, sunroof. Exterior looks good.

Owner has said this about the engine...

"118k with a full documented serviice history with VW Dealer to 116k where it got an inspection service and second timing belt.

i have receipts for approx £5,800 and i can show it on service computer (i work in volkswagen)"

Is this high mileage for a 20VT engine?

Car is for sale at top money IMO £3995 ono and would be a stretch but it is practically on my doorstep.

Worth a punt or forget it??

That seems expensive when compared to the similar spec V6 4Motion I bought, 50k lower mileage, less than 12 months older - I paid £2700

If the service history is good I would not have thought that the mileage would be an issue although items subject to normal wear and tear are obviously going to need doing over time

Had a wee look on Autotrader.

Similar spec with a lot less mileage...

http://tinyurl.com/a285bk

But the car in question is only a short drive up the road from my folks in N.Ireland and I'm popping over next weekend.

A car in Mainland UK is gonna have the added cost of flights, ferries etc Say £500.

So I shouldn't worry too much about the engine then? At 118k and with good history a 20VT shouldn't need any major work?

Just want something with Aircon for the summer as the Rado is like a greenhouse.

So are you registering it in the UK?

If so, a post March 2001 car is going to be higher road tax than a pre march 2001 car, as that's when the new CO2 bands came in, in theory that should make the slightly later cars cheaper to buy.

Yes car will be registered in the UK. The same tax bands etc apply to N.Ireland registered vehicles. Although we have a separate licensing authority. The DVLNI instead of the DVLA. We have to obtain a Certificate of Export for cars purchased in England/Scotland/Wales.

Further complicated by the fact that I live in Belgium, but because of my employer I do not have to go through the nightmare of registering my car there.

So I shouldn't worry too much about the engine then? At 118k and with good history a 20VT shouldn't need any major work?

Nothing to worry about there. I know of a couple of standard 1.8Ts approaching 200K with no major work other than cam belts, a clutch and servicing.

That is expensive.

I have been looking at similar 60k mile cars with same spec for between £3.4 and 4k

Nice cars though!

Matt

Expensive yes, rules of supply and demand I guess. That's why I tend to buy my cars from Mainland UK.

But I will contact the guy and see if he is open to offers. Buyer's market at the moment ;)

My main concern was the engine. Thanks for the advice! 8)

my 2 cents;

Very high mileage - my corrado has less and is 8 years older.

I wouldn't pay over £3000 for it no matter what the spec.....remember it wont matter how beautiful the car is, if the gearbox/engine/turbo isn't sound.

if you know the cars history then fair enough.