Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Silly Accelerator niggle...

i've noticed a few times, (mainly because i'm weird) that when i'm sat in car with it idling, and i very gently touch the accelerator, the slightest amount you could possibly press it to make the engine note change and hold it there.

If i do the above for a few seconds and then let my foot off, the revs drop lower than idle speed and the engine nearly stalls, battery light comes on, then it just about picks up and idles as normal.

I know i could just stop doing it, but i reckon it could have something to do with why it feels quite sudden/jekry when i'm off and on the accelerator during normal driving.

Have a look at the throttle lever damper on the throttle body. Its a yellow and red thing. If its too far in the throttle shuts too quick and the engine cannot deal with the sudden change. Would have thought it would deal with such a small amount of peddle though!

Have a look at the throttle lever damper on the throttle body. Its a yellow and red thing. If its too far in the throttle shuts too quick and the engine cannot deal with the sudden change. Would have thought it would deal with such a small amount of peddle though!

will look this up in the manual as i've no idea what that looks like or where it is :lol:

cheers for the tip, will see how i get on

3CM if you look at the throttle body there is a yellow and red disc shaped piece. If you were to blip the throttle usign the throttle body lever instead of the throttle pedal, its next to that! :D hope that makes sense.

yes, all it does is cushion the throttle body so that it doesnt slam shut, just adjust it until it feels right. and make sure you lock the nuts in the right place otherwise it will just wind itself back in.

Have you got VAG-COM?

If so, connect it up and monitor the behaviour of the throttle position sensor.

Press the throttle very slowly and the throttle angle should increase 1 by 1 smoothly. If not, the carbon tracks have bald spots.

At throttle rest, the angle should be

The

Replace the dashpot aswell, which is the throttle damper the other guys explained. The Corrado throttle has very strong return springs, so the damper stops the throttle snapping shut too quickly, thereby giving the ISV a fighting chance of keeping up!

no, haven't got VAGCOM, is it worth investing then?

i always assumed they only work if something is wrong and a light is on, maybe that was just my old vauxhall.

i've noticed a few times, (mainly because i'm weird) that when i'm sat in car with it idling, and i very gently touch the accelerator, the slightest amount you could possibly press it to make the engine note change and hold it there.

If i do the above for a few seconds and then let my foot off, the revs drop lower than idle speed and the engine nearly stalls, battery light comes on, then it just about picks up and idles as normal.

I know i could just stop doing it, but i reckon it could have something to do with why it feels quite sudden/jekry when i'm off and on the accelerator during normal driving.

I have the exact same thing occurring on mine, but it's more serious because I am invariably caught in traffic every morning on the way to work and in my case the revs drop too far when I disengage the clutch when coming to a stop in traffic and it stalls (though obviously the cluth is down at this point so I can just quickly restart it before engaging first again, but it is a pain in the arse).

Hopefully this might be the cause of my problem also. Is there any chance it could be the ecu though?

i've still forgotten to check this out on my car, i need to write a "TO DO" list, but that might put me off :lol:

Bought a 2nd car recentely so corrado is sat in garage

This is generally caused by either a busted/seized ISV or a duff sensor. It's typical with big sixes because they are run so lean to keep the emissions and economy under control. The VR6 is not alone in this..

You can work around it by resetting the ECU - it'll go back to running slightly rich for a while..