Sign in to follow this  
Chris Smith

Track Day

I'm going to a track day at Oulton Park in February. I'm in two minds about taking the Corrado, I really don't want to prang it or wring it's neck and end up blowing the engine or the brakes etc. But on the other hand I'd love to put it through it's paces and see what she's really made of.

Have any of you guys got any experience of track days?

I might take the C and drive it conservatively, but there's always the risk that some other numpty loses it and takes me with him. Another thought is that I may snap up an old banger on eBay and thrash that around the track.

Any thoughts?

Provided you get it checked over (or check it over yourself) before-hand and do the same afterwards, and make sure you let it warm up and warm down you should be fine! Possibly factor in an oil & filter change afterwards as well, and possibly brake pads depending on how hard you're driving and for how long.

These cars were designed to be driven and I think you'd be doing your car a disservice if you never took it on a track personally. I know there are lots of people who want to mothball and cuddle their cars, and I understand that - but the Corrado is wonderful fun on a track and as long as you don't drive it like a total idiot it'll be fine.

I drove my 2.0 16v to the Nurburgring back in 2006 - it'd done about 160k at that point.. all I did was get it in for a full service and good check over beforehand.. drove it there, did one sensible lap, one as quickly and as hard as I dared, drove it round in Germany and drove it home again. It never once hiccupped or made out anything was going to break :) I'm on 189,500 miles now and I drive her daily and still not seen any fallout from that trip :)

Oh - and just take out track insurance with an agreed valuation if you're concerned about getting hit by someone else!!

I'm going to a track day at Oulton Park in February. I'm in two minds about taking the Corrado, I really don't want to prang it or wring it's neck and end up blowing the engine or the brakes etc. But on the other hand I'd love to put it through it's paces and see what she's really made of.

I might take the C and drive it conservatively, but there's always the risk that some other numpty loses it and takes me with him. Another thought is that I may snap up an old banger on eBay and thrash that around the track.

Any thoughts?

Take the Corrado!

Go and wring its neck. If anything blows up then it would have blown up on the road eventually anyway.

An old banger will quickly become a liability, only take a good condition car!

I've done 2 track days at Oulton, great fun. Theres plenty of run off if anything goes wrong. Idiots and dangerous drivers are kept off the track.

You will soon want for more suitable track suspension though!

Just do it mate; Ive done 3 sessions around Castle Combe in my Punto GT (I have a video of it which i could post on here!!) and it was great fun..As said above you do have a lot of run off areas on a track unlike roads so you should be fine..

One thing I would suggest is change your brake fluid for some good stuff..You can end up boiling your brake fluid..My clutch also took a bit of jip were it got a little to warm..Melted the paint on my calipers as well :lol: :lol: A good set of grippy tyres is a must..I also stripped as much as i could from the inside, shed over 6 stone in all

But it was GREAT fun.. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Do it mate, I took mine round Snetterton just before Christmas and it really show's you how damn good the Corrado is as a drivers car. I loved it and will definitely be taking it on again.

Action shot!!

MichaelSnetterton034.jpg

Any thoughts?

There are quite a few threads on trackdays & trackday preparation in the history of General Car Chat if you want to do a search for them. Enjoy your day.

Awesome! How GREAT does a VR sound on track!!! I'm taking mine to the ring 4 weeks today and I can't wait to see what she is like!!

I'm glad you had a good time, I must say I absolutely loved my track time in the Corrado (cocked wheels and everything) :D

Looking forward to doing it again?

Cheers,

T

i wanna some sort of track day in mine, would put standard wheels on for it, just so i could see what she can do :D

Nice one mate. Always great to see (and hear!) a Corrado on a track. You'll probably now be counting the days till the next time you can hit the track.. it kinda gets you like that :)