Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Serpentine Belt tensioner pulley

i have a lot of noise from this area when i start my cold, i think the cold damp weather is making it worse.

I was thinking of changing the tensioner and pulley and also the belt. Can i get the tensioner and pulley from Ford cheaper than VW? I take it its expensive from VW.

Also i notice Gruvenparts make a pulley but thats nearly £100.

anyone done this job?

Its a straightforward job (changing the tensioner & belt), Use an MB bolt to release the belt tension. Slide teh belt off teh pulley - this is a bit fiddly, but take your time and use a few smallish screwdrivers. Remove the belt from teh pulleys - if you dont have Bentley, make a diagram of where the belt goes!!! I have aircon so an aditional pump pulley which makes it even tighter. Three bolts hold the tensioner on, unscrew. Remove the pulley from te tensioner - this is a reverse thread screw!! Replace the bearing if you wish, or just replace the toal pulley. Reassembly is the reverse. Allow some time to refit the belt, you may need a few extra hands. Its not difficult, just a bit fiddly, like most jobs on the C.

HTH

I don't think you can buy the pulley separately, but you can get the bearing from an engineering supplier. I did it once, long ago, and have forgotten the bearing size and the supplier, but I'm sure someone else will advise you on that. In fact you dont need to take the tensioner off if you just intend to replace the pulley; just undo the centre bolt (undo clockwise as Hasan has advised.) It's a fiddle to pare back the pulley to get the old bearing out; use a sharp knife and take care not to trim your fingers at the same time!!

If you take the whole tensioner off, be very careful not to overtighten the three bolts when you re-assemble it; they are threaded into the aluminium cylinder head and are easily stripped by heavy-handedness.

Going back to the original problem, which is the noise; have you considered that the problem could be the water pump, the alternator, the PAS pump or (maybe) airconditioning compressor. When you have the belt off, check them for smooth turning and no slack in the bearings.

Best wishes

RB

i see gruvenparts make a pulley, nearly £100, but thats not so bad if i don't have to buy the tensioner as well.

I will investigate the noise then, i spose it could be any of those pulleys/bearing.

Not sure whether to do it all myself, or ask stealth to change the water pump when i take it there to get geometry done

arghhhhhhh....

now i'm thinking i NEED these bits :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gruven-Billet-VR6 ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gruven-Billet-All ... dZViewItem

i've got nearly all the other parts, still not fitted the water pump bracket as i never knew where it went.

I could do with getting a new aux water pump i reckon

I still have original on at 105k.

It wasnt noisy, but after reading about noisy ones, I took the pulley off about 3 yrs ago and got some oil or melted grease down the side of the bearing.

Dont know if it helped or not, but you could try it as it may save some money.

I have changed pulley belt myself and I am in my 60s. A real pest on your own :bad-words: but I did it. Make sure you have diagram of belt's path round pulleys for refitting - you may not remember it!

The fan motor on our 18 year old Pug 205 was very noisy for the last few years - common fault. New motor is £65, so I dismantled old one and got some oil and silicon grease into the dry bearing and it has been OK for several months now. :D

Done this on mine today using gruvrnparts pulley and it took only 10mins no need to

remove tensioner just took the tension of with a m8 bolt then simply unbolted and refitted. :clap:

I don't think you will need to change the tensioner it self, after all it is just a spring, so would probably not make a noise.

You can change the bearing on the pulley for £5 as long as you have access to a vice and a socket set or similar to go against the bearing face as you press it out.

There's a good write up here http://wiki.the-corrado.net/vr6_belt_tensioner_pulley_repair.html

Cheers

Have just changed mine Bill, thought it was the 6203, cost a fiver, replacement simple enough if you cut away the retaining plastic ring. Have not got the paperwork to check, but a common bearing take it out first to be certain!

Have just changed mine Bill, thought it was the 6203, cost a fiver, replacement simple enough if you cut away the retaining plastic ring. Have not got the paperwork to check, but a common bearing take it out first to be certain!

Thanks Dave :)

Just snapped mine earlier trying to take out the rattly old bearing - D'oh!!!!

Planning to oder one from AVS in the morning it's 63 for the whole unit as I can't find the pulley on it's own (bar from volkswaparts who seem a bit dodgy).

Any better places/prices before I order? Need it fast car's not going to be used until it's done.