Sign in to follow this  
dubweiser

Headlamp retaining screw

Hi guys,im having some major problems trying to remove the headlamp retaing screw located in the slam panel.Im wanting to replace my bulbs but i cant get the unit out because i cant remove this screw.Does anyone know of any easier access to it to remove it other than down through the slam panel.Its driving me nuts :mad2:

The easiest way to get to the back of the unit i found before is to remove te airbox but my warm air feed pipe from the exhaust to the airbox is decidely dodgy and has seen better days and if i take it of there is no way to get it re attached.Can i buy a new piece of pipe?Is it a dealer part or is there an alternative and is it easy to fit as i think this will be the easiest route if i cant get the screw out.Im running out of knuckles and dont know how much more the screw head can take .AAAARRRGGGHHH :lol: Cheers guys

make sure your screwdriver has the right sized head on it too, last thing you want is to munch the head up. When you are undoing it put lots of downward pressure on the screwdriver so it doesnt pop out of the screwhead. and as above lots of lube.

Feel for you as I was in the same situation but on the battery side a while ago.

The screw is screwed into a plastic lug sitting on a small metal bracket so there is little chance of getting enough pressure on it if the screw is really b*ggered. The metal bracket just takes the pressure and bends down a bit. We (OK Kip.....) tried the long drill bit but again couldn't get enough pressure on the screw head.

In the end 'we' took the battery out, put a junior hack saw into position, attached the blade (had to fit it around an upright strut) and spent an hour... honestly... slowley cutting through the screw.

I'm not sure of the diamentions on the air box side and you might get a blade in easier but I recon you will have to take the air box out to get anywhere near it.

I've got to get the headlights out of my 'new' storm sometime soon and pray I don't have this trouble again.

Good luck.

Possibly able to use?

g60wishbonebolt1.jpg

I had trouble with mine when i first bought it, needless to say i bought some stainless screws from a local place.

dont think the irwins will touch it, its litterally just a screw head, so theres nothing to bite onto. it'll be a b*tch of a job if you round that head off! when i had the same problem as you, i ended up just pulling the plastic bracket apart, using brute force screwdriver etc, to remove the headlight then fabricated a bracket and put it all back fitting an upright bolt through the headlight bracket and fixed it onto the metal bracket on the car with a nut, until i could get a decent headlight.

The irwins should scare a screw head, they remove allen head bolts! 8) Id definately advise replacing the screws with stainless once you get em out etc.

Neil.