Sign in to follow this  
g60rc

How should i get my charger rebuilt?

Well, story so far is that the g60 has FVWSH, but no mention of any servicing on it's charger in it's 180,000 mile life. Naturally i want it done before i drive it and take the revs up. So if i may a couple of questions (which i thought may be in a FAQ, but i havn't been able to find one with a quick search)...

- what is more highly recommended, Gwerks or Jabba (i get the impression it's GWerks)

- If i was to get a standard rebuild, would this be ok with a 68mm pulley kit, or should i/will i need to get the upgraded rebuild and P&P?

- Is there likely to be any detremental effects to the 180,000 mile engine with simple mods (68mm kit, and maybe a 4 branch/system) if still a road engine?

- what sort of BHP/Torque/MPG should i expect with the above mods carried out?

- How difficult is the rebuild for a mechanically minded person with correct tools, or is it a false economy?

Thanks in advance for help...

Rich

8)

I don't know specifially about G60s but Gwerks is who i'd go to with one!

I think doing it yourself is okay from what i've read if you've got the right tools & don't scrimp on parts.

Others will answer the rest of the questions!

as above id be inclined to take it to g-werks. im sure ive read somewhere that they will give your g-lader a free 'health check'..

im sure that darren will be able to answer all questions www.g-werks.com, give them a call fella...

Thanks, i think i will be going with g werks. Can anyone shed some light on the above though, Gwerks is closed until monday i think...

If you get a standard rebuild it will be ok with a smaller pulley but you'll notice more difference from putting the pulley on if its ported. I recently swapped my chargers over and put my less heavily ported one on and could notice a difference. Of course a freshly rebuilt charger could be better than a tired ported one if the apex seals are worn and not sealing correctly. In my mind if you are going to get the charger serviced you may as well get it ported too, its not that expensive as I recall.

I have rebuilt my own charger in the past but I wouldnt dream of porting one, I'm not that skillful. A friend showed my how to do it too, it can be done but just warn the girlfriend/wife/mother etc that you arent cooking her dinner and that its your charger casings in the oven!

As for the G wekes/jabba question I'd personally go with G werks I've heard some dodgy stuff about Jabba but then another company who I trusted completely wasnt all it cracked up to be recently it seems.

thanks a lot, just what i wanted to hear. I'll get it sent off then and decide what job i want done. It's an extra £115 for porting (which seems quite a lot to me?) and there doesn't seem to be an intermediate porting job. What BHP difference would a ported vs. standard charger give with a 68mm chip and pulley?

On another note, what should i replace on the engine before tuning it, due to it's 180000mile life?

Does a ported charger sound any different to a standard one ? The other I day I was talking to a guy with a ralleye which had a ported G60 charger (from Germany) and that sounded amazing compared to my one in the Rado.

I'll be looking to get my one done at some point and will definately be sending it up to GWERKS.

Does a ported charger sound any different to a standard one ? The other I day I was talking to a guy with a ralleye which had a ported G60 charger (from Germany) and that sounded amazing compared to my one in the Rado.

I'll be looking to get my one done at some point and will definately be sending it up to GWERKS.

Probably down to an RSR stlye outlet, if you start to modify the boost pipe plumbing away from factory then the G60 makes all sorts of noises, boost return deletion will give you a whoosh noise after coming off full throttle but makes the whole set-up much noisier. Just do a search on here for more on RSR outlets or boost return.

I have got an RSR outlet on mine & the boost return mod. Also a FMIC with re routed piping. It sounds good, but that Rallye was insane !

Don’t ask me why but different chargers sound different. Some seem to be deep and rumbly and others more whiney. I suppose some of it does depend on how they are ported or the size of the pulley. Of course on toothies they sound different again but that’s down to the pulley.

All I meant as in cheap with regard to porting is that if you think you are going to get it ported at some point in the future its worthwhile paying for it now whilst its off the car and in pieces rather than going through the whole process again. I’m not sure bhp wise the difference but it will be worth doing when combined with a chip and pulley for sure. Also just for future, I would also recommend changing the small timing belt on the charger once a year. They are common to snap and then its new charger time. If you are waiting any time before having it rebuilt I would be tempted to swap it now with that mileage on it too.

I'd get it to G-werks. If you don't live near, (it's not exactly central) remember you can remove it and courier it down for them to sevice. You might want them to look the whole car over before modding it though, best discuss this with them. Would be daft to go porting the charger if you've got leaky pipes etc. After I had my 68mm chip and RSR fitted it blew one of the pipes clean off cos of the pressure! :shock:

No idea about BHP gains, but 68mm and porting will make quite a difference for not much money- that's why it's usually the first mod people go for.

All I meant as in cheap with regard to porting is that if you think you are going to get it ported at some point in the future its worthwhile paying for it now whilst its off the car and in pieces rather than going through the whole process again.

Agreed, so long as you intend to keep the car for a while and keep modding it, you might as well have the R-spec porting done while it's being serviced.

No idea about BHP gains, but 68mm and porting will make quite a difference for not much money- that's why it's usually the first mod people go for

ive got a stage 4 port job by g werks and a 68mm pulley its not really the bhp its the amount of boost the ported charger can deliver a freshly sealed and ported charger on a 68 mm pulley should do a happy 15psi and then as the apex strip wear you start loosing alittle pressure bearing in mind that a standard charger only does about 8psi

it then all depends on how you use the boost to what bhp your car will make extra if you go for the 68mm id recommend the sns chip aswell from darren it suits mine great and makes mine do about 168bhp at wheels with that an rsr outlet, air filter, and exhaust

cheers stu....

Cheers for the extra replies,

I'll be going for the stage 4 porting i think (£500 service :shock: ) damn g60's can be expensive.

Will i see negative results if i use the standard chip/pulley with a ported charger? I will be upgrading in the future, i'd rather just get used to it standard (or there abouts) and then add another batch of power.

No negative results but you'll just not be making the best of the porting. If your apex seals were worn though it will probably just feel more lively due to being serviced.

On another note, what should i replace on the engine before tuning it, due to it's 180000mile life?

My first G60 was found to have 250K + miles on it's original engine and was still putting out 160+ BHP on the standard pulley, chip and original (although ported) charger! The engines can take mega milage as long as they're looked after properly...

Things to do depend on how much you can do yourself, and how much you'd need a garage to do for you (putting the cost up considerably)...

Things I would do to the engine would be:

New oil pump

New water pump

New sensors (oil pressure, oil temp, water temp - blue and black sensors)

New bottom end shells (MKIII TDI shells fit and are uprated/better wearing... ;) )

New piston rings + re-hohning the cylinders to ensure they bed in properly

New head gasket

New cam followers

That'll give you a basically mechanically fresh engine which, although it'll need bedding in again, should last for a looooonnngggg while... They're all jobs I'd do myself and can be done without taking the engine block out of the car, but I understand that many people wouldn't be comfortable doing this kind of work themselves...

Things I'd recommend changing on a 100K+ mileage engine, even if you can't do the jobs yourself:

Oil pump

Water pump

Either of these die, and you're engine and charger won't have long to live if you don't notice in time... :eek:

Brilliant, just the replies i was looking for!

I've just been out and taken the charger off ... a bit more difficult than i was expecting, i'll definately be taking out the rad/slam panel to make things easier on refitting.

I also noticed that it has a blue aluminium pulley, which measures about 71mm from outer edge to outer edge and about 66-67 on the ridges that the belt runs on. Both these being close to pullies available, so is this a 68mm or 72mm pulley? The car was RR'd at 164bhp, which would lead me to believe it's the 72mm, maybe without the correct chip? What would you suggest to do?

I don't think i will go as far as the engine rehone/piston rings etc yet, but oil/water pump are good suggestions. How difficult is the pump to replace if i was to drive onto some ramps giving me enough space to lie underneath? Water pump shouldn't be too bad to replace with the current charger-off situation.

Cheers