Kevin Bacon

MK4 expansion tank upgrade

I did in December but not with a Mk4 golf one. Too late now not doing it again for the sake of it!

wat did u use?

:censored:

After I go and pay the £37 (Plus new cap) for a new VAG header tank...

and a pair of waterpump pliers too for the cap when it's pressurised! :p

In a word.... BUM_HOLES!

Great little mod Kev :D. Out of interest, do you have the part number for the tank - I find my VW dealer easier to deal with if I can give him part numbers, otherwise we can spend ages on the phone going 'is it this, or this, or this?'.

:censored:

After I go and pay the £37 (Plus new cap) for a new VAG header tank...

and a pair of waterpump pliers too for the cap when it's pressurised! :p

In a word.... BUM_HOLES!

x2

Great little mod Kev :D. Out of interest, do you have the part number for the tank - I find my VW dealer easier to deal with if I can give him part numbers, otherwise we can spend ages on the phone going 'is it this, or this, or this?'.

They're all the same mate. Bora 4, Golf 4, Polo 7 etc etc... they all use the same tank mate! If your dealer can somehow f'ck that one up, tell him to seek an alternative career!

If I remember, I will get the p/n off mine later on.

They're all the same mate. Bora 4, Golf 4, Polo 7 etc etc... they all use the same tank mate! If your dealer can somehow f'ck that one up, tell him to seek an alternative career!

You have obviously never been to my local then. Muppets ain't the word for it....

I find the 2-handed 'squash' approach quite effective. Use the heels of your hands to push towards eachother on either side of the cap, like you're squashing an orange. And a pair of grippy rubber gloves will help too.

You have obviously never been to my local then. Muppets ain't the word for it....

I find the 2-handed 'squash' approach quite effective. Use the heels of your hands to push towards eachother on either side of the cap, like you're squashing an orange. And a pair of grippy rubber gloves will help too.

:lol: mine does have his moments - hence I like to give as much info as possible. Cheers for checking though :D

Just looked on Vagcat and it appears to be:

1J0121403B

Not sure if that includes the cap too, I think it does.

Yeah sorry I forgot to get the p/n..... I'll double check tonight and confirm, but that 1JO one you've found is more than likely the one.

Yes, the cap is included :D

You lot are a bunch of pansies!!!!!

You lot are a bunch of pansies!!!!!

You've seen my arms mate - 10 1/2 stone weakling! :lol: Not all of us have the advantage of having that 'farmer physique'...i work in an office and was brought up in Purley!

Anyway, I've renamed my technique 'the beseeching monk' :dorky:

Ignore toady sausgage fingers..... a couple of my burly mates can't get the friggin cap off either. It just needs that little nudge of leverage from pliers to get it started :D

If you're interested, I worked out it's a size thing. Bigger isn't always better.

You see, the rado tank has a full girth O ring round the circumference of the opening, so more friction on the cap. Some of us clearly can't handle all that girth and friction (except toadstool it seems, he likes that) and it's biaatch to shift.

Now, the MK4 one proves small is good. The O ring is a little weener of a thing and captive on the cap itself rather than the tank opening, so it's Faaaaaaar easier to remove....without the need for some lubed up, plier twisting, fist action....

Rofl. I've worked hard on my grip, and like to think that I can take the extra rubber girth quite easily. :p

I find the expansion tank cap is far easier to open when the car is warm - when it's cold, it's a complete and utter turd!

Toad does have a surprisingly sturdy grip - helped in no small part I'm sure by the sheer amount of force needed to restrain farmyard animals when he's attempting to have his wicked way with them... ;)

Toad does have a surprisingly sturdy grip - helped in no small part I'm sure by the sheer amount of force needed to restrain farmyard animals when he's attempting to have his wicked way with them... ;)

It's not just animals....

02122007155low.jpg

lol.. I remeber you doing the same at Eric's a while back when Steve bent over to get into his car. He protests but I think he loves it really...

02122007155low.jpg

the pic doesnt show that they are both naked from the waist down :camp:

how muchy is the sensor and no mods req to the mounting bracket?