Sign in to follow this  
Rick

noisy fuel pump

wen my corrado (1.8 16v) idles it sounds like an old xr3i cos the fuel pump is so loud i know a new one is gonna cost me about 90quid but is it hard to change cos i heard the pump is in the petrol tank?

Yeah it's not too bad a job. Pull out the carpet. Unscrew the large black metal cover (3 x self tapper, phillips head). Then you're presented with a large bathroom fitting type white plastic ring with ridges. You need to either tap the ridges with a screwdriver and hammer to drive the ring off, or using a fecking great plumbers wrench! Choice is yours.

Once the ring is off, unplug the electrical connections and remove the fuel hoses. VW use the metal retainer clips, so cut them off and find yourself some small jubilee clips to replace them with, or go to VW and buy the same clips again.

Pull the white cover plate out and lay on the boot floor (will have some wires attached to it). Reach into the tank (best done the fuel level is low), grab the pump and twist to the left or right, can't remember which direction I'm afraid, and then lift out of the tank.

Replacement is the reverse of removal as they say!

Kev

... at least that's for the in-tank pump.

AFAIK the non-VRs have two fuel pumps. The in-tank one is small, and most prone to failure, but is quite cheap to replace. The main fuel pump is inline, and not in the tank, and is the £90 job.. The little one usually goes first, which places so much stress on the main one that ultimately it goes too.

Or am I mistaken (again)?! :)

My old Mk2 and the C both had a fuel pump just in front of the off side rear wheel. The pump on the Mk2 went but was fairly simple to sort and managed to get one from the scrappy for 20 quid!

Haven't had any probs with the one on the C (its abot the only thing that hasn't had a prob) but had to replace the fuel filter - which involves removal of the pump... not a hard job took about half an hour.

If it sounds noisy it should be easy to locate the faulty one?

Ah yes, Matt is right.....I think the Valvers retained the old external main pump! Silly me! In which case you'll be best off ignoring me :lol:

K

Just check that it isnt the sound insulation that has perished around the pump behind the drivers seat. this happened on my 1.8 injection scirocco and made one hell of a noise. Cost me about £2 in pipe insulation to fix

Jim

If it does have an external pump, I'd check the lift pump in the tank. Usually a p*ss poor lift pump streeses the main pump and takes that out too.

It would be a shame to replace the main and have it fail again shortly due to the lift pump. Lift pumps are a £40 from the usual scources.

Gavin

Mine was noisy on my VR when i first got it, so thought i would have to replace the pump, then the fuel filter was replaced at the service and it has quietened right down, try replacing this first as it is the cheaper option. Mine was full of gunk so think the pump was struggling.

As eliot says do the filter first, the filter should be done from time to time, i changed mine and the pump cant be heard.

there is no external pump on a G60 the thing infront of the right rear wheel is the filter, not sure about VR's having twin fuel pumps either, i know they have two water pumps

not sure about VR's having twin fuel either pumps,

Lift pump, main pump and pressure accumulator in one unit...so yes, twin pumps.

K

not sure about VR's having twin fuel either pumps,

Lift pump, main pump and pressure accumulator in one unit...so yes, twin pumps.

K

in theory i suppose you could say it has more than 1 pump......however in practice i think i would be right in saying that......if for instance its the lift pump part of it that goes.....then you have to buy the complete fuel pump unit......might be talking crap but thats the way i understand it to be :?

i thought the lift pump was in the tank and the main pump by the wheel?

they can't make u buy both surely if they're separate units

i thought the lift pump was in the tank and the main pump by the wheel?

they can't make u buy both surely if they're separate units

AFAIK its just the fuel filter beside the wheel :wink:

Hmm, just to confuse things even more, my 1991 1.8 16v has a noisy main pump (in front of the right hand wheel), seems to also have a lifter pump in the tank. I am going to replace the lifter pump in the tank hopefully tomorrow. Will post either way if this quietens the main pump down or not...assuming that is a) I dont ignite the fuel tank fumes and burn the car to a crisp, b) can get the pump in/out satisfactorily, and c) it's not raining /too cold! :roll:

BTW, A quick Insurance advisory! My opinion of NUD!.... :fist: Never again will those to##ers 'quoooote me happy'

Replaced the lift pump today, as mentioned above. Made no differecne to the buzzing from the main pump though, so am going to just monitor it a bit more before throwing more money at a new main pump as well as the new lift pump. At least now I can confirm that on my 1.8 16v 1990 /91 there are definately two seperately located pumps, coz i've seen it!

Ive got a brand new, boxed, still in the wrapper 16v main fuel pump I bought in error, £50 plus p&p if ure interested, there about £90 new.

Ive got a brand new, boxed, still in the wrapper 16v main fuel pump I bought in error, £50 plus p&p if ure interested, there about £90 new.

its a long shot but have you still got it?

First thing would be to try changing the fuel filter, if its partially blocked it can make the pump loud.

ive got one sitting just need to get round to fitting it! cheers. where in glasgow are you?

cool. had a look at filter on car its got some very rusty ends so need to soak it with wd before i try takin it off. i love old cars!!

I ended up bursingt the fuel line going to the engine bay trying to changethe filter on my old 16v, was about £30 for a new one so new fuel line on and I gave up trying to change the filter as the other end looked like it would probably go as well. :mad: