Sign in to follow this  
Badger

New brakes on a VR?

The plan is to clean/replace the discs,pads and calipers on my stock as a rock 95 VR6.

I was intending to use standard replacement parts from the VW dealer but having read some of the posts on here im quite keen on upgrading everything for some possible track use.

My plan was to use standard front discs and calipers with some red (or maybe green) EBC pads but is it possiblle to fit larger diameter discs without any hassle, a straight forward take the old one off, bolt a bigger one on, and keep the standard calipers and 15" wheels?

At the rear i was planning on standard discs but with MK4 calipers as the standard ones have siezed long ago, using standard vw pads.

So what do you think? Any advice would be great.

:D

do a search for 288mm brakes and you should be kept busy reading for a fair while! red stuff is a good choice too.

I have 288s with standard (as in VR Golf not VR Corrado) discs and redstuffs and they're great. The bite is much better than my old 280s. I actually have confidence to be able to brake hard now, not half a mile from where I want to stop!

I'm pretty sure you won't get away with just fitting a bigger disc as it will foul the callipers.

So your saying that the discs on the front of a Golf VR are bigger than those on the Corrado?

Are these a straight forward swap and can i keep the standard calipers?

Yeah, Corrado VR brakes are 280mm, Golf VR are 288mm. Unfortunately you can't fit the bigger discs and retain the standard callipers as firstly they don't sit out far enough, and secondly the 288mm discs require a bigger pad and braking area.

If you're interested I have a set of nearly new brembo max discs and some mintex extreme pads for a standard Corrado VR. They really improved the braking on my car and I only replaced then when I swapped over to 288mm brakes. I'm sure I can do you a deal if you want (they're only gathering dust in my shed)

Thanks for the offer but i would like to learn more about the 288mm conversion.

I understand what your saying about needing a bigger caliper/pad,but im guessing this seems to be a common conversion whats the answer? Do you use the Golf caliper?

Also after a nose round ebay for bits i see that the 288 disc is wider than the 280 disc by about 3mm, is this a problem?

If you want to go 288mm front brakes you will need: Calipers and carriers, probably easiest from a mk3 golf (VR/16V/ some other later cars), then you'll need suitable discs/pads (so again golf VR/late 16v etc) which are easy to get from places like GSF. Then you'll also need a set of goodridge hoses for a late golf VR or 16v. Take the old stuff off, put the new stuff on and flush/bleed brake fluid. This needs to be done on a pressure system so either ezibleed or at a garage.

Or the rear you'll need a set of mk2 to mk4 conversion hoses from Goodridge and then its a straight swap from corrado to mk4 rear calipers (both run the same discs and pads.

The reason you have to use the capliers and carriers rather keeping the standard vr setup is that not only is the diameter of the disc bigger by 8mm, they also sit in a slightly different position and the braking area of the disc is much wider.

They say a picture speaks a thousand words so hopefully these pics will make it all clear.

First, standard VR setup.

DSC00134.jpg

They the mighty massive 288 setup from a VR golf

DSC00143.jpg

Simple... :lol:

Oh and if you need part numbers etc for the goodridge hoses just let me know and I'll dig them out for you.

Excellent! Thats just what i was after. :clap: :notworthy:

If you can let me have the part numbers that would be great.

Thanks very much for your help and once i have all the parts to hand i'll keep you informed of my progress.

Cheers.

Right, had an expensive day today. Popped up the dealers for some shiny new brake bits.

Two rear standard corrado discs - £36.47

Box of rear mk4 Golf brake pads - £24.30

Six spark plugs - £44.06

oil filter - £10.76

Total - £131.69.

Also ordered new 288mm front discs at £42.41+vat each.

Priced the wheel bearings for the rear and they were £24 each side so i'll try and get some good patten ones. Any ideas where from?

Still need mk4 calipers for the rear, vw wanted £89+vat each so that's not going to happen.

Also priced up the front calipers and carriers, £140 for the carrier and the same for the caliper, plus vat,times two!!!!!!

did you..

do a search for 288mm brakes and you should be kept busy reading for a fair while!

but in any case, did you specfically want new calipers? if not, then:

Still need mk4 calipers for the rear, vw wanted £89+vat each so that's not going to happen.

£80 or less per pair 2nd hand.

Also priced up the front calipers and carriers, £140 for the carrier and the same for the caliper, plus vat,times two!!!!!!

£50 for calipers and carriers 2nd hand - some come up almost every week on here/ed38/vr6oc.

also send bigpantsbaby a pm as he has them all pretty often. shouldn't take you long to find all the bits.

Priced the wheel bearings for the rear and they were £24 each side so i'll try and get some good patten ones. Any ideas where from?

I know they're annoyingly expensive but I just can't recommend that to stay away from pattern wheel bearings enough. They're pants. I'd suggest you bite the bullet and just buy the VW ones mate :)

did you..
do a search for 288mm brakes and you should be kept busy reading for a fair while!

but in any case, did you specfically want new calipers? if not, then:

£80 or less per pair 2nd hand.

£50 for calipers and carriers 2nd hand - some come up almost every week on here/ed38/vr6oc.

also send bigpantsbaby a pm as he has them all pretty often. shouldn't take you long to find all the bits.

New calipers would be nice but at that price im not so sure. Used ones seem to be happy favourite. Im watching some on ebay at the mo, as well as looking at the sites you mention.

Are all mk4 Golf rear calipers the same or is there a specific year/model that i should be looking for?

Oh and if you need part numbers etc for the goodridge hoses just let me know and I'll dig them out for you.

Will Goodridge hoses on a std set up work with 288's?

Ta

Matt

Just bought some 16v Golf calipers and carriers off'a ebay, £40.

Do ineed the hose's aswell or will the corrado ones be ok?

So this is what i have so far.

Two front 288mm discs

Two rear 226mm discs

Box of pads for the rear

Box of pads for the front

Two new rear wheel bearings

Two grotty front calipers off'a 16v mk3 Gof

Still to get

Two rear mk4 calipers

Goodridge brake hose's for the front and rear

If you have any of the these bits knocking about please contact me or if you think i have missed somthing out please let me know.

Hoping to sort the front calipers out this weekend, look out for some pic's.

Sorry chap, been busy this week and forgot to get those Goodridge part numbers for you. Shall do it as soon as I get in this evening.

Quick question though, those calipers in the pic aren't the ones you got off ebay are they? They look more like rears to me, definitely not 288's. Everything else looks correct just the calipers. :?

Sorry chap, been busy this week and forgot to get those Goodridge part numbers for you. Shall do it as soon as I get in this evening.

Quick question though, those calipers in the pic aren't the ones you got off ebay are they? They look more like rears to me, definitely not 288's. Everything else looks correct just the calipers. :?

Ditto that...you need the front callipers from a VR6 Golf, not 16v.

There's some for sale atm on here.

I thought that the calipers were the same on a VR and 16v Golf. :?

These are suppose to be front calipers off a 16v. :scratch:

If you want to go 288mm front brakes you will need: Calipers and carriers, probably easiest from a mk3 golf (VR/16V/ some other later cars), then you'll need suitable discs/pads (so again golf VR/late 16v etc) which are easy to get from places like GSF. Then you'll also need a set of goodridge hoses for a late golf VR or 16v. Take the old stuff off, put the new stuff on and flush/bleed brake fluid. This needs to be done on a pressure system so either ezibleed or at a garage.

yeh i thought all 16v mk3's only had 280's also?? i could be wrong as according to the missus i'm always wrong??

ive seen late mk3 8v and 16v's at the scrappy with 288's so it wasnt just the vr.