VR6Joni

VR6Joni's Charged LPG VR6

Bit of boost pipework

BoostPipework.jpg

Unfortunately broke the vacuum one way valve trying to remove the blanking cap, Doh!

Anyone rerouted the vacuum hose cos it seems to go the long way around?

And is the vacuum hose supposed to be like glass, think it may have hardened over the years. :roll:

i did the same thing.

They do seem a bit fragile.

Been quite on this front lately so I thought I best put a quick update on. It is now running, however I just could not get the inovate LC-1 to give a stable reading :( :( :( . Anyone else had this problem?

I ended up setting the fueling up with an exhaust gas analyser which I fortunately had access to. With 359cc injectors tick over voltage from the MAF needed to be about 0.81V to give a good mixture (with Lambda disconnected). However this was at quite a high tick over rpm (probably due to me confusing he ECU, see how that goes later).

Now the next step is getting some management wired up.

I'm running the Forge diverter valve with my rotrex and just wondering what spring others have used in it?

I have found that the yellow spring alone is not strong enough as it's recirculating on tick over, surely it shouldn't do this!

So I've disconnected the vacuum line to the DV and am letting it reference atmospheric pressure, this works OK for the time being and gives me the added safety measure of limiting boost as I have no intercooling at the moment :shock:

Is this likely to cause any overrun back pressure problems????

Also what temperature is anyone else's Rotrex running at? mine probable ran close to 70 when it was recirculating on tick over (god knows why), however now its probably 50-60 degC??????? I expected them to produce next to no heat, but hence the oil cooler!

God darn rotrex oil system sprung a leak the other day, I recon I lost a good 20-30quids worth :(

Fixed now but system is a touch low on oil so gonna have to buy another bottle :( :( :( :( at 75 quid a go, beat that for an expensive oil leek.

Was my fault though cos I put a cheapo section of pipe in where it stepped from 6mm to 8mm, and the worst thing was it was on my list of things to sort. :epicfail:

Couldn't leave it on the drive though :roll:

Unlucky mate! I did exact same thing when I first installed my Rotrex, didn't have the oil lines done up tight enough and lost about half the Traction oil :epicfail:

I also had an LC-1 fitted to mine, and likewise it was difficult to get a clear reading as my gauge was constantly going up and down. It only settles out when you are on boost at WOT and it settles to the AFR reading. Me and Kev were just driving up and down a stretch of dual carriageway with mine watching it and then tweaking fuelling as necessary.

Yeah it was rather annoying that little incident.

Anyway aquamist is now fitted and I have to admit it must be doing its job well as you actually see the boost drop off by 2-3psi when it kicks in, I'm not sure of the actual charge temperatures but I'm working on that. It is nice to actually see that it is doing something, it gives me that extra boost of confidence to take it one step closer to the limit :D

When I tidy the wiring up some pictures will follow.

Now it's up and running I thought I'd put a few back together pics up.

Just washed before VWFestival.

RadoDriversSide.jpg

RadoFront.jpg

Just Fitted aquamist so its a bit messy, will tidy it all up when I get some conduit or spiral wrap.

EngineBayUntidy.jpg

Running reasonable but definitely in need of more chargecooling, aquamist is doing its job for now though.

Looking good mate! Glad it's all up and running properly now.

Fancy rebuilding another Rotrex, still haven't looked at mine :lol:

Looking good mate! Glad it's all up and running properly now.

Fancy rebuilding another Rotrex, still haven't looked at mine :lol:

I wouldn't say properly but it's drivable without killing it too easily. On a few hot days I've noticed it holding back a bit after an extended run until the aquamist kick in, this to me seems very much like detonation occuring :(. I really need to get some logging equipment sorted so I can have a look back at what was happening as it's very difficult to monitor guages and take in what happened during the brief time this happens. I have now reduced the boost level from 8psi to 4psi that the aquamist kicks in so hopefully this will help. I also have a high speed solenoid so will hopefully be able to make it proportional soon. (KV automation sell them if anyone is interested)

Anyway Rob, if you aren't able to get the rotrex completely in bits just give us a shout and I can either give you guidance or have a look at it whenever is convenient.

did you go to Harewood Joni??

I certainly did, just got back from ED38 too, saw a few familiar faces at Harewood but not at ED38.

Getting rid of my Golf 16V, on ebay if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vw-Golf-GTI-16v_W0QQitemZ220576140620QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item335b5ccd4c

As I now have an Aqua blue VR run around with Miltek and BMC CDA. Fuel economy is going to take a hit with that noise :lol:

Had to change the Radiator and heater matrix, which was a job and a half, but it had new chains, tensioners and clutch 18 months since so hopefully no major jobs left to do. Anyway it looks OK with a good polish.

AquaFront.jpg

AquaSide.jpg

AquaRear.jpg

Daily looks nice mate!

Wheels suit it well and I think you may have peruaded me to put my rubbing strips back on!

Know what you mean about the BMC. Really should take mine off and get an extra 10mpg LOL

How does the Rotrexed engine sound? 8)

Before it came off the road for the winter, it still retained the VR6 warble with the extra whoosh of the charger. Plus the exhaust note just goes mad under boost.

However that will all be changing as I have now put a short runner on so I could fit a charge cooler, now need to get my ar$e in gear and put it all back together.

Also really need to get a centre cap sorted for that front wheel.

Before it came off the road for the winter, it still retained the VR6 warble with the extra whoosh of the charger. Plus the exhaust note just goes mad under boost.

However that will all be changing as I have now put a short runner on so I could fit a charge cooler, now need to get my ar$e in gear and put it all back together.

Have to meet up some time. Would love to check your car out after all the work you have been putting in. Perhaps we can get the midlands and yorkshire lot together on the edge of the Peak somewhere, somewhere soon.

Matt

Yeah I'd be sure to turn up to any meets in this neck of the woods. I have a very busy June though so hopefully any meets would be either side of then.

PS. I'm hoping to get to the Elsecar meet at the end of April.

Loving those wheels, what are they? 8)

Not a clue to be honest, my brother bought them from another Corrado owner. I'll do a bit of digging to see if he can shine any light on the subject. I'm pretty sure they are 8J (maybe 7.5J) so wouldn't have thought there is too much to choose from.

Yep, they are the LPG injectors. Now relocated due to short runner. Just need to bolt a few things down and its MOT time.

Short runner, but nothing feeding it yet?

Yeah, just a quick tester really. Super charger is sat on a shelf waiting to be fitted, its less than an hours job fit. Will be stuck on straight after the MOT. :D