Sign in to follow this  
davebirl

94 Aqua Blue VR6

08.jpg

I went to the UK April 2007 with a mate Paul aka TIL2143 and we spent 2 whole days driving miles around Bermingham to Wigan and then on to Newcastle.........we looked at no less than 13......yes 13 different Corrados.

Yeah I know its the same colour as my old one but it wasn't my intention.

2 reasons I sold my old one...... No.1 I drove the mental 345 BHP MTM S3 of Fahys and was mad for power and bought it and No. 2........... I'm a knob.

The S3 has no soul like a Corrado :)

I had gone over to see a supposed mint Storm and a 50k mile mint BlackBerry VR6 to find they were very much abused and probably had alot more miles on them than the clock showed. The rest were just rough in general and I wanted one as good as my old one so I was been quite fussy..... its my money so its precious to me! lol

Drove to see almost every VR6 advertised on both Autotrader and Pistonheads and in the end we found this one in Newcastle.

Car has been garaged all the time and hasn't been driven during the Winter periods and it does show. None of the usual under body corrosion as found on most UK cars.

All MOT's and service history plus receipts to back up genuine milage of 79k. Brand new original VW suspension and boy am I impressed with the ride quality. I honestly don't plan to lower it or put back on 17's. The ride is just too good and handles extemely well in the corners. It does have a nice new Miltek CAT-back exhaust too.

Needs a few small things done to tidy her up. First thing she needs is a nice induction roar........

14.jpg

11.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Sept 2008

Got the Recaros fitted over the weekend. New clips on the rear panels really make a different, much tigher fit than using the old ones. I also packed the rear quarter panels with 3 inch foam, cuts down on the road noise from the rear wheels. No squeaks or rattles either! yay! :)

I have to say Michael Pinnock aka MJ Interiors done a great job on the interior. The only problem now is I don't want anyone sitting in them! lol

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Myself and Paul aka TIL2143 with the sweet storm on here got ourselves a few Porter cables a few months back and I've been waiting to try out mine for some time. Finally got my garage/shed sorted out so this past week I completed a major wash job on the Corrado.

Dont have much time in the evening so havin the shed it was possible to do a few hours most evenings. I got a whole kit from Andy "Detailer.ie" and started with the super slick suds wash, removed tar and then clay barred the entire car. The difference in the feel of the paint was unreal after proper use of the clay bar. It went from almost sand paper like to glass.

This first pic is of the bonnet after washing and clay bar but prior to any polishing.

5.jpg

I then used SS3 twice and the a shot of SS2 and SS1. Followed by poorboys polish and then a shot of Poorboys sealant Carnuba wax.

6.jpg

I only cut the paint on the bonnet, there was lots of swirls and also some blind bastid had painted it previously in the UK and there are still inperfections that I can see under the lacquer. I polished the whole car and used the sealant too. There wasn't many swirls on the body but the bonnet was the pits.

The bonnet and rest of the car is a much deeper, kinda wetter blue now.

7.jpg

Then I drove it out of the shed and said fuck this it could rain and put it back again! lol

8.jpg

1.jpg

Thanks to Andy for the info and the great products. I'm a newbie to polishing and never used a PC before but I enjoyed it and theres plenty of vids on how to use them right on You Tube. I plan to attack the folks car next weekend and try and jazz it up a little. Might even try out the high speeds on their Fiesta! lol

August 2008

I got those fantastic Gotti Rims from Diesel Dave and just started the refurb process last night

Heres how they look prior to refurb. No serious damage just general laquer yellowing and oxidation. Some minor enough curbage

gotti2.jpg

Thanks to Dave for spliting them for me too! I know I'd have made a balls of them.

First I picked out 1 wheel and gave it a quick power wash to get off any dirt etc

1.jpg

Then a good coating of Nitromors, which is powerful stuff. Once the nitromors starts to do its thing I dosed the rim with the power washer again to peel off the loose paint and laquer.

2.jpg

Centre came out like this. Theres a few nice chips and scratches but I can easily sand/polish them out.

3.jpg

Once the laquer was off the lip I started on it with 1200 sand paper and some steel wool to remove any curbing. To get the shine back I used some Poor Boys SSR3 and final shine thanks to Brasso. Forgot to take a photo of this process but this is what I ended up with. Outer lip looks perfect now and I'm real happy with it. Corrosion / oxidation and curbage has more or less disappeared.

4.jpg

Side by side of the outer lips

5.jpg

6.jpg

Now the really nasty part of polishing the hard to reach places. After an hour with 1200 sand paper I was just starting to see the shine but I abandoned for tonight and will get some 400/800 paper tomorrow. I also have a few fancy drill attachments I want to try out too. Hopefully it will speed up the process.

7.jpg

Basically laquer removal and outer lip refurb will be easy but polishing the centres will be more of a bitch than I expected. I have sourced new centre caps and I have to order some new bolts yet. I've been on to Gotti in France and I've been told the wheel model is G1001 and the bolts should be Titanium with Aluminium Nuts. Seems these rims have been refurbed sometime in the past before as there are BBS style bolts in there already. I am gonna stick with the BBS Bolts cos I dont fancy the black Titanium look on the outside.

October 2008

ahem :) after 6 weeks my fingers are f@cked! :) but it was well worth it :)

super high res photo here

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/dav...ti/P1000290.jpg

1-1.jpg

lol, dont get too excited lads, fingers were goosed and I wasn't getting the finish I wanted.

Checked a few of the forums and the Porsche guys swear by Mr Cecil Lane of Rainbow Polishing in the UK. Gave Cecil a phone call and after telling him how I wanted them to look he said to send them over to him and that he'd do a top job and have them finished in a few weeks.

Theres no way on earth you'd get the mirror finish without the proper equipment.

All praise goes to Cecil Lane. He is very very reasonably priced so if anyone is interested please drop me a line and I'll send on his contact details.

Awesome write up mate and gorgeous looking car. You almost have me putting my aqua one back to std now you bugger :lol:

MJ's look like they have done a TOP job as well (as always)

So if you are fitting the Gotti's (which look the dogs) surely you are going to lower it arent you?

Matt

P.S whats that pod type thing on the transmission tunnel :confused4:

Looks realy good!

Out of interests may I ask if that's the cloth seats that's been redone in leather?, and did they have the whole car in, or do you just send them the bits?.

And if I may ask how much the redoing in leather costs roughly?

thnx

p5.jpg

I placed the spanner inside a latex glove to protect the rim from any damage when holding the Bolt in place. Torqued the inside Nuts to 23Lbs

P6.jpg

P7.jpg

P8.jpg

p9.jpg

stuning mate, looks really immaculate, seats look so new and tight! - as said. you lowing her now youve got the gotti's

Feburay 2009

This is how they look now with New Polished Centre caps and Gotti logos back where they belong. I got a local print company that was able to create the exact logo for me on clear sticker so it looks like its painted on. they were so good they even printed 40 of them for me for free! :)

5-1.jpg

To tell the truth, the car has been garage since September and was out for its first drive today with TIL2143 at the helm. I've gone through Speedlines, Brocks, BBS 722, BBS LM reps and now these Gotti and still the car only done about 10 miles. lol

I just couldn't decide which rim suited it best. I still think there is no substitute for RS 301's.

I will keep the Gottis for special days and the BBS LM reps for not so special days lol

Here is a photo with the LM reps

P1000211.jpg

March 2009

Finally Gottis on the Car and a few weeks ago I fitted the Koni SSK27 kit from Awesome GTI. The Kit came with Koni top adjustables and springs. Lower about 30 to 35mm.

DSC01509.jpg

DSC01510.jpg

smlP1000440.jpg

smlP1000445.jpg

Hiding from the rain again lol

smlP1000451.jpg

That looks seriously good 8)

I think I like your wheels better than mine tho which is bad :wink: LOL

How do you find the ride now, any rubbing at all?

Hey Leonard,

Yup, lowered it alright on the Koni SSK27 kit from Awesome GTI

The pod is a cup holder. I like a coffee on the road, I got it from a VW dealer in Germany. I just picked one out from the internet and gave them the part number and they posted it to me for 40 euros. It was over 90 + VAT here in Ireland. Its used in Transporters and Passats but also fits the Corrado and is the exact same trim colour and finish. I can dig out the part number if you want it but I know it listed somewhere on this site already.

Awesome write up mate and gorgeous looking car. You almost have me putting my aqua one back to std now you bugger :lol:

MJ's look like they have done a TOP job as well (as always)

So if you are fitting the Gotti's (which look the dogs) surely you are going to lower it arent you?

Matt

P.S whats that pod type thing on the transmission tunnel :confused4:

Hey Mawrick,

I got those Recaros from a Corrado which was been broken for parts. They were cloth Recaros originally and are not the original interior from my Corrado. I sold my one last year.

MJ retrimmed those for 1200 sterling last year for me and it took him about 3 weeks. He is such a gent of a guy and the finish is second to none. He packed them really well in boxes and placed them back on the same pallet that I sent him.

Looks realy good!

Out of interests may I ask if that's the cloth seats that's been redone in leather?, and did they have the whole car in, or do you just send them the bits?.

And if I may ask how much the redoing in leather costs roughly?

thnx

Ride is firm but not too harsh. I did have H&R coilovers in my last VR6 and to tell the honest truth the Konis at the softest setting is maybe on 20% softer than the H&R coilover kit. Pound for pound I think the Koni SSK27 kit is a good buy. Not too low and not too harsh. There is no rubbing at all and I would not drive a car myself that rubbed in anyway. I am particular about certain things and rubbing is one of them :)

I wanted BBS RS 301's for my VR6 just like my old one but its almost impossible to get a perfect set at the right money. I came across a few sets that had been widened but I wanted them 7.5 inchs wide.

That looks seriously good 8)

I think I like your wheels better than mine tho which is bad :wink: LOL

How do you find the ride now, any rubbing at all?

You want my garage? lol

I love to have the balls to supercharge or turbo my VR like you! Honestly the garage cost very little, if you shop around specially now you should get a good deal. The concrete base you can do yourself with a shovel and rent a mixer or just ready mix to deliver. The whole shed I think cost me about 2200 euros and that was at the height of the so called celtic kitten boom.

The shed internals are 20FT 3 inches X15FT. I can open both doors fully and still have about 4 foot either side and still got room for some shelfs and crap etc. I priced around a few places and was quoted up to 7K for it. I got it done by a man in Leitrim for 2K. His work is excellent and its a very strong frame. Its got that non drip insulation on the ceiling too. Myself and the old man done the conrete base and ramp and that cost 300 euros from ready mix. EndaWinger on here done a great job and looked after me with the lights and sockets.

very very nice example mate, and i soooo much want your garage.