Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Lowering 40mm - shortened front bumpstops?

Do they need shortening for this drop?

On the mk2 golf I was recommended to use 30mm shorter powerflex front stops, whats the crack with Corrado's?

I have bought a new set of std. front bumpstops (they are the same part number as the mk2) I was thinking of cutting them down slightly ??

Will it be riding on the bumpstops if I don't ?

Its hard to see how much suspension travel there is with the dust covers in place but I reckon with a std. 80mm bumpstop there is not alot of free travel at standard ride height!

Cheers,

I dont know bout n e 1 else, but on all of the uprated suspension sets I have put on cars, I usually dont put on bump stops - even when I went flying in my mk2, it didnt bottom out.

Don't need to do anything at the front as there aren't any damper bumpstops, just a pleated plastic sleeve, but you do need to trim the rear bumpstops down by the lowered height, e.g 40mm. The rear bumpstops are actually spring assistors and the car rides on them permanently, hence needing to trim them.

K

my car was already set up when i bought it, but the invoice from AMD shows that they used bumpstops when they put on Koni TAs and lowered 35mm with eibach springs!

HTH

Errmm.... Kev, there are bumpstops on the front of the C. They do need one segment trimming off them if you fit shorter springs - or you can fit the shorter bumpstops from a Mk4....

!!! Front bump stops are definately required on all VW's, to protect the damper piston from bottoming out in the shock thereby ruining it, and also to absorb the shock from bottoming out that might otherwise damage the suspension after hitting a large pothole/bump.

I think the rule is that the piston should not go in further than 25mm protruding?

I was having the 40mm springs fitted today, so I decided to chop 20mm off them, seemed a fair compromise.

The pleated dust sleeves actually attach to the bumpstops, so if you haven't got bumpstops surely they are just sat there loose?

Are they buried inside the black plastic outer sleeve then? Can't say I noticed front bumpstops when Stealth fitted the Konis.

K

Yeah I had a look last night, if you look right at the top you should see where the sleeve clips on to the bottom of the black rubber bumpstop