Sign in to follow this  
Emkayvr6

My 1st Corrado - Updated P3 Rear axle refurb and new lights

Hi all,

Have today purchased me 1st rado, most of my cars have been dubs, and all but one golfs (the other was a polo) but have always had a soft spot for the corrado and after my last golf was a vr6. There was only one car i really had in mind after a couple of years beeing abroad and not needing a car..... a Corrado VR6, After searchin for the last month or so all the forums and adverts and viewin a few this last week, finally settled on one that was tucked away in the corner of a dealers yard. It's a '93, got 125K on the clock, completely standard, 9 months ticket, All the electrics work :shock: although the sunroof is a clear glass one, and there was a painted sunroof in the boot, Was the glass one from the passat?? Picked it up for just under 2.5K

It needs a bit of tlc:

The Paint needs a proper machine polish, mostly just swirls but no signs of rust or evidence of respray work.

Front drivers side fog and ind are cracked and fog doesnt work,

Both front windows have scratching runnin down them, looks like something is scratchin them when the windows have been wound up and down

Mechanical its seems fairly sounds, no smoke, pulls well, no signs of anything leaking, suspension and chassis all feel soild, does pull slightly to the left under very heavy breakin, only slight though

There is a quiet rattle from the left hand upper engine area, fairly certain its the serpentine belt tensioner

Other than that everythings else seems ok although bound to come across a few other little niggles im sure, anyhow here's a few pics from the dealers adverts, will try and get some of my own pics up in the next day or two, but was too busy driving it to take photo's this afternoon :D

Cheers

Mart

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfNew Toy 1.jpg[/attachment:1vvcjdhx]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfnew toy 2.jpg[/attachment:1vvcjdhx]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfNew toy 3.jpg[/attachment:1vvcjdhx]

New toy 4.jpg[/attachment:1vvcjdhx]

Well....hard to say, definatley enjoying it, 1st thing that struck mw was that i felt right at home within a mile of leaving the forecourt, have only driven hire cars in the last couple of years when ive been home for a week or too and its taken me an hour or so before i've felt comfortable behind the wheel. I've had a mk1 gti, a few mk2's 1.6's 1.8's and gti's a mk2 polo and a mk3 vr6 and the rado feels like a mk2 in the way its drives and feels like a mk3 from the seat, although can definatetly feel the weight difference from a mk2, doesn't feel overly heavy and balance feels quite good but can definately feel a bit heavier, but my driving style had matured over the years and i don't want something to race absolutely eveywhere, think thats what i loved about the mk1, just felt like a go kart, rado feels bit more of a crusier but has the ability to take for a kane when in the mood, And i love the grunt of the thing and the noise is awesome, plus the spoiler makes me smile everytime u opener up and it raises and that, i know its a little thing but i dunno just think its a cool little thing that suits the rado

anyway thats enough ramblin from me tonite, best get to bed, sooner i sleep, sooner i wake up and can go for another play and start gettin her back to former glory :) cheers

mart

Congratulations looks a very tidy example to work with.

Spend any time on here and you won't be short of ideas for upgrades and mods :wink:

The window scratches are a known problem. Check for grit in the rubbers/ worn felt before you get into more extensive investigations. Some people may have replaced their rubber trims to ensure a flush fit.

Vaughan

Hi all, Have today purchased me 1st rado,

cool, how many are you going to get in total?! :grin:

Cheers guys, Phil i like the black ones too but mine is blue!! does look almost black, paint code is lc5m, midnight blue is it???

Congratulations looks a very tidy example to work with.

Spend any time on here and you won't be short of ideas for upgrades and mods :wink:

The window scratches are a known problem. Check for grit in the rubbers/ worn felt before you get into more extensive investigations. Some people may have replaced their rubber trims to ensure a flush fit.

Vaughan

Got u few mods and uprgrades in mind mostly little touches at the moment, funds are tight at the moment due to moving back to the country and havin to sort furniture and that shite for the house and my other hooby/ sports takes up a fair chunk of my dosh...race this beast with me old man :

Corrado conversion V2 (3).pdfDSC08794.JPG[/attachment:wqv4nocv]Book1.pdfgarage1.jpg[/attachment:wqv4nocv]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfpembreybay5.jpg[/attachment:wqv4nocv]ETKA Corrado.pdfpembreybay4.jpg[/attachment:wqv4nocv]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfQT6F9753.jpg[/attachment:wqv4nocv]

Old Man drives and i passenger, but will be gettin my 1st chance to drive next week :D

Anyway back to the car took these today, needs a good clean mind :

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC09763.JPG[/attachment:wqv4nocv]

Corrado92.pdfDSC09760.JPG[/attachment:wqv4nocv]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC09763.JPG[/attachment:wqv4nocv]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC09769.JPG[/attachment:wqv4nocv]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC09770.JPG[/attachment:wqv4nocv]

DSC09771.JPG[/attachment:wqv4nocv]

and a few more .......

Corrado looks excellent and as others have said, a fairly solid base to work on fixing little niggles, etc. Keep us posted with progress! :)

....and a few moreCorrado conversion V2 (3).pdfDSC09783.JPG[/attachment:24j7b6fm]Book1.pdfDSC09785.JPG[/attachment:24j7b6fm]stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC09764.JPG[/attachment:24j7b6fm]stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC09779.JPG[/attachment:24j7b6fm]DSC09780.JPG[/attachment:24j7b6fm]Corrado92.pdfDSC09784.JPG[/attachment:24j7b6fm]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC09774.JPG[/attachment:24j7b6fm]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC09788.JPG[/attachment:24j7b6fm]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC09765.JPG[/attachment:24j7b6fm]ETKA Corrado.pdfDSC09767.JPG[/attachment:24j7b6fm]

Plans for the summer are just too get all the little niggles fixed and attack any rust thats startin to develop under the chassis, some polishing under the bonnet, I have a spare manifold from a 2.8 golf, are they the same?? Get the paintwork mint, paint headlamps as not that keen on inpro lights, change or paint rear light and side inicators basicall get everything looking mint and replace wipers and wiring loom for lights, then come winter i should have some more money to start with some mods :D

cheers

mart

Hi all, Have today purchased me 1st rado,

cool, how many are you going to get in total?! :grin:

LOL, who knows :grin:

nice 8)

Did i buy a set of Compomotive Mo's off you a couple of years back? A place near peranprth and goonhaven etc? Saint somethign?

only from the last couple can you tell its blue really! it looked black in the first ones :D still looks really nice tho mate!

nice 8)

Did i buy a set of Compomotive Mo's off you a couple of years back? A place near peranprth and goonhaven etc? Saint somethign?

oh yeah u did mate i remember now, St Agnes, lol u still got em?

only from the last couple can you tell its blue really! it looked black in the first ones :D still looks really nice tho mate!

Cheers, yeah it does look black alot of the time, doesn't help that its covered in filth at the moment, will have to wait till next week to give her a good clean as off to donnington park for the weekend

:D

Yeah, its where I got mine from back in August last year!

He told me some story about him being a Corrado fan and how he bought my car thinking he was going to use it as his personal motor but instead decided to sell it, wasn't sure how much of it was true but I've noticed he always seems to have a Corrado or two kicking about for sale so he must be a bit of a fan :)

Good luck with the little fixes on your car anyway :D

haha he told me the same story, though he was havin to sell this one due to havin to fund an extension on his house, judging by the state of it the 1st time i viewed it, it had definately been being used. This one has only done 4k in the last 18 months though so think it might have been sitting amongst the dealers forecourts for a while.

Yeah I had a strong feeling it was mostly salesman's talk when he was spinning that story to me! :lol:

At least your car now has an owner that'll look after it and sort the little niggles that might otherwise have gone un-sorted.

Spose he's gotta pitch something to try and sell the cars on his forecourt :lol:

Does feel good to have rescued this one from a possible life spent rotting away on the dealers forecourt :D

Well haven't had much time too tend to the C yet as was away at donnington park for the weekend and have the sidecar Fairing to repsray this week before i go home to cornwall for a bit, but did have a problem yesterday with a slight missfire and i could hear the expansion cap hissing very slighty but it hasn't lost much water yet, seal looks ok but a bit tired so MK4 upgrade is on the cards shortly and as i'd forgotten how much of a cunt the cap can be to get off, might as well change it. Checked the coilpack for cracks etc, all ok, tested leads and weren't bad, Plugs on the other hand we're covered in shit, cleaned em up and put back in and missfire has gone but will be ordering new plugs tomorrow. Also have been and sorted new oil filter from VW and some fresh oil from halfrauds, was cheapest place i could find Mobil 1 oil.(forgot that that the vr needs more than 5l so had to go back again and get some more :brickwall:) . So hopefully get that and the plugs done on thursday and if its not rainin give it a good clean :grin:

Anyway for all the photo junkies out there heres a couple of pics of the old mk3 vr and the rest of the dubs in the house :grin: Oh and some french thing :lol:

Corrado92.pdfFront_vr6_.jpg[/attachment:1d3l2g70]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfengine_bay_vr6_.jpg[/attachment:1d3l2g70]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfrear3_vr6_.jpg[/attachment:1d3l2g70]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfthe driveway.jpg[/attachment:1d3l2g70]the driveway 2.jpg[/attachment:1d3l2g70]

Vr wasn't the tidiest of ones but only cost me £400 and was brought to drive until i found a mk2 to put it in, Shell was a rust bucket. But ended up goin abroad so never got to put it in a mk2. :(

but now i have a Mk2 Vr6 but with a sexier body :nuts: :grin:

Well didn't get as much done on the C as i had planned today as when i tented the garage off for spraying i forgot to get all the tools and stuff i needed to work on the car :brickwall: :censored: and haven't got time to rip it down and tent it again so the oil change and clean will have to wait till early next week but i did manage to get a wrench plug socket and spark lead tool outta from behind the plastic so changed these....

Book1.pdfDSC09810.JPG[/attachment:3m7t6g3t]

For these....

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC09809.JPG[/attachment:3m7t6g3t]

She's running smooth as pie now :grin:

Here's a few pics of whats been keepin me from the C.....

ETKA Corrado.pdfDay 1 Sanding MF.JPG[/attachment:3m7t6g3t]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDay 2 Sanded MF.JPG[/attachment:3m7t6g3t]

Corrado92.pdfDay 2 Sanded SF.JPG[/attachment:3m7t6g3t]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDay 2 Primed 7.JPG[/attachment:3m7t6g3t]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDay 2 Primed 6.JPG[/attachment:3m7t6g3t]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDay 2 Primed.JPG[/attachment:3m7t6g3t]

Day 2 Me.JPG[/attachment:3m7t6g3t]

More sanding tomorrow and hopefully 1st top coat colour :D

well finally managed to finish spraying the sidecar fairing, although it still needs cutting back and polishing but will get that done when i come back from cornwall before our 1st race of the season :

SDC10038.jpg

SDC10039.jpg

SDC10040.jpg

Which meant i could finally change me oil and give the C a quick wash to see what state the paintwork was actually in.

Some nice new golden engine juice and Vw oil filter

SDC10041.jpg

Nice and clean .....

SDC10042.jpg

SDC10043.jpg

SDC10044.jpg

SDC10045.jpg

SDC10046.jpg

SDC10048.jpg

SDC10049.jpg

SDC10050.jpg

....though paintwork is full of swirls and stone chips with a fair few random scratches, so full machine polish and detail will be happenin once me polisher turns up :grin:

blimey over a month since i last updated my thread :eek: Have managed a couple of things but nothing major:

have been busy sorted a few dents and rust patches on me bro's T4 and kinda waiting to move into my house next week and sorted out before i can really get stuck into her. But have changed the camshaft sensor and fitted a new cam cover gasket, was a nice oily mess under the intake mani and all over the head from the gasket leaking and oil being spilt when topping up so clean all that up while i was at it. Car feels much better with a new sensor, more power and tourque and much more lively to drive now :D Also fitted some new front tyres Avon ZV3's, not my ideal choice but were goin at a good price and i've had em before and rate them as being pretty good for the money.

Noticed fine coating of oil in inlet manifold on cylinder 2 and 4 the odd bit of smoke sometimes on hard acceleration and on overrun, plus also reverse, thinkin its prob the valve seals any other/better ideas? Also a slight knockin noise when turning left, c'v joints possibly? had a quick look, boots look ok but will have a proper investigate once i'v moved.

Was goin to put some pics up but seems to be playin up so will try tomorrow :brickwall:

here are a few pics that i was tryin to put up last night :

Filthy mess i was greeted by after takin the manifold n that off :(

SDC10078.jpg

SDC10079.jpg

SDC10080.jpg

SDC10081.jpg

Yep even the coil pack came off so as i could clean up behind it :cuckoo:

SDC10083.jpg

SDC10084.jpg

Filthy cam cover :bad-words:

SDC10085.jpg

Nice and clean cam cover :clap: Will get polished soon :lol: