Sign in to follow this  
Ugly Bloke

Corrado wipers....

After about 5 weeks of Corrado ownership, I've just driven mine for the 1st time in the rain. I've seen snippets of conversation on various forums and heard conversations at various meets about how poor they are. So can some kind person in the know, give me a brief potted history of how rubbish they are and some easy remedies/modifications for them. Thanks.

Try searching for lupo wipers or tt wipers, there's even a sticky in the exterior section. There's loads of info on this if you do use the search.

Try searching for lupo wipers or tt wipers, there's even a sticky in the exterior section. There's loads of info on this if you do use the search.

I am off to search now! I've owned some right old sheds and some stuff from the 1950's and the Corrado is worse than all of them. Thanks.

Firstly welcome, it's nice to have a new owner for one of the rare Campaign models.

Well as you've probably noticed the wipers aren't exactly a strong point of Corrado design. A common 'fix' for this problem used to be to upgrade to VW Lupo wipers. You need two left side arms to do the conversion. VW used to sell the arm seperately, but at some point wised up to what was going on and now will only set the Lupo wipers as complete kits, which makes the whole thing pretty expensive.

Frankly the best advice I can give you is to buy a bottle of Rain-ex. That will fix your wet weather visibility problems for a fraction of the cost of new wipers

HTH,

John

Yep, as John says RainX is great and the new combined glass cleaner they do is supperb and much easier to apply.

Forget Lupo wipers now as the TT ones are only slightly more expensive but work much better - improved design and seem to be much more suited the the angle of the Corrado screen

Factory ones are ok but they need to be in very good working order.

A good tip is to fit bosch model blades with spoilers to each side, this helps stop the wiper lift at speed due to the back of the bonnet aerodynamics.

New arms help, although you can try to bend the wiper end of the arm to improve the blade contact.

Windscreen condition, if your screen is heavily scratched, chipped or just dirty then it won't help the performance of the wipers. Give it a good clean with a decent glass cleaner or you can use this to get the scratches out here

Have standard ones on mine - the ones with little spoilers....never had any probs with them.

Have standard ones on mine - the ones with little spoilers....never had any probs with them.

Aye me too.. Bosch ones from Helfrauds... just gone over to two spoliers as the old drivers was ok, so gone to passenger side and new on drivers side... Also need to put some new Rain-x on sthe screen but need to clay it first to remove all the old gunk off it!

Not teally had problems with lift at speed but then I don't "Speed" in wet weather! :cuckoo:

Yan havre you used that screen polishing kit??

Yeah on the Passat, it got rid of all the wiper score marks, only did the drivers side and the passenger side looks terrible by comparison. It was quite tough to use, I found the pad wanting to buck around and it has left a few light marks where it did that.

Going to try it on the G60s passenger window as that has some deeper scratches in it, then if that's ok it will attack the front and rear screen windscreen wiper marks.

I was given a tip a few years ago about a “surgical procedure” with the wipers that did the trick for mine.

On the spindle side of the hinge on the wiper blade there are two sort of lobes on the top side that the outer hinge part (wiper blade side) sits on when it’s against the screen. If you have a close look at them they seem to bottom out as it were, preventing the blades from being pulled onto the screen any further by the spring. I took the blades off the car and cut these back using a Dremel, takng a couple of millimeters off each lobe. This allows the spring to pull the hinged part tighter against the screen and gives a much better wipe. It's a bit fiddly but worthwhile, just remember to paint over any scratches you make to prevent rust starting

It radically improved the performance of the wipers on my 16v. I replaced the passenger side arm about a year ago and its poor performance was instantly noticeable. I must go and modify it this weekend, keep forgetting to do it.

Wullie, Yep - that mod does work well and sorted most of us out until the Lupo mod was discovered...

Now the TT wipers are even better, almost perfect I'd say so if you've got a spare £100 I'd highly recommend visiting your local Audi dealer!

£100 on my pension? LOL. That'd be pushing things a bit futher than she who must be obeyed would allow, every time I fill it up it's a moan. Maybe have to pinch some like the *&%^$£)* who stole the centre caps off my Sebrings in Edinburgh last week.

Hehe - you live in Scotland don't you? - wipers are probably never switched off!

Ok... test drive a TT and take it back with Corrado wipers :)

You're giving me ideas mate! They might just notice though. Where can you get Sebring Centre caps from? Tried a search on here but no luck.

I was under the impression they were no longer available. I'll give them a call and see what they say, perhaps if I show my bus pass they'll give me a discount, worked when I got two tyres a while ago though not from VW.

Yeah Dremel your lobes with new standard blades works fine, spent years bending the arms trying to get better blade/winscreen contact pressure then realised that as the spindles wear these lobes actually stop the blade contacting the screen properly. took a few mm off carefully with a drill bit & now they're great.

Mick :wave:

I was looking for some replacement wiper blades for my Lupo Gti arms today and happened across these:

http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/product-de ... on=5&ID=34

Bosch aero blades that fit on the standard corrado arms. All the benefits of the Lupo set-up at a fraction of the cost.

Now I wonder if they fit...

Neil

94 Flash Red 16v

*cough* viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79190

The problem with the original wipers is not the blades but the arms. They just dont press the blade against the glass hard enough. See the thread references above