Sign in to follow this  
M3VWG

clocks

hi all,ive got 1992 2.0 16V.It has white needles on the dials,question is will the later clocks with the red needles fit streight in or are the connections on the back of the clocks different?thanks :confused4:

Just FYI - deleted your avatar picture. A bit too naughty for a forum which people might be using at work! :cry:

I would assume they will be different as the later clocks have a digital odometer (electonic speedo) and have a single block connector fitting on the rear, the early ones have a mechanical odometer and i would assume a mechanical speedo (with a cable)

Definitely not plug n play.

Yes they are.

Right just to clear this up, cars with a mechanical drive for the speedometer will have a mechanical mileage and trip counter built into the speedo. Cars that have a digital panel for mileage and trip have an electronic drive for the speedo. The other difference is that the full mechanical clocks use 2 separate circuit board for the various instruments whereas the digital type use a single printed circuit board.

As long as you have a digital trip and mileage counter you can interchange the clocks without doing anything else.

I was assuming the valver had non-digital clocks, is that not the case?

Nope, in fact only some of the earliest valvers/G60s have mechanical drive speedos, anything from the 1st August 1990 will have the full printed circuit board style clocks with the digital trip/mileage counter. As the official UK RHD G60s were not introduced until after 1st Aug '90 then they will all have the digital trip/mileage.

That's build date maybe, not first registered/sold date, as my Nov 1990 (first registered) has mechanical clocks.

That's build date maybe, not first registered/sold date, as my Nov 1990 (first registered) has mechanical clocks.

Yeah sorry David I didn't make that clear in my last post above, it is a build date number, I don't tend to work off registration dates as they are useless for the reason you have just very effectively highlighted :)