Sign in to follow this  
phayeser

suddenly a bunch of issues

Just when celebrating the seemingly perfect running of my rado, I was struck with a number of issues yesterday driving across the country.

- rough idle; the car died a couple of times. The needle searches for the right place, after stopping at lights it reaches almost 2,000 before settling again.

- fuel consumption way up - barely 10mpg on major roads so running rich I guess along with other symptoms like gasy smell and much carbon round the exhaust.

- jolting at various speeds, especially when holding 2,500 revs in a high gear. This seems to be less of an issue when the car is cold

After a good inspection I finally found the intake elbow at the engine had become loose enough to work its way off. It seems the CLOWN that recently changed the valve cover gasket had left the pipe clamp loose.

Unfortunately fixing it back on didnt remedy the issues but since I've been reading about MAF, TPS, O2, lambda, blue sensor, etc with regard to all this but would like to hear of any insight considering it all coincided together. Would also like to know what potential hurt this has done to my engine - seeing as unmetered and unfiltered air had been sucked in there.

What should I look out for, are there places where carbon might have built up etc

Thanks Much

when mine had the same issues, it was the catalictic converter,it had just reached the end of its life

give it a shake,mine rattled

What engine is it? Might have a bearing on what we suggest next.

MAF, blue temp sensor and lambda could possibly all play a part in those areas but some are specific to different types of Rado :)

Once you've fixed the inlet pipe I'd give it a chance to recalibrate. I might even be tempted to do the ECU reset and force it to recalibrate from scratch (assuming you're talking about a VR here, since it's the only one that calibrates anyway)..

Failing that sound like your lambda is hosed.

50p says it's a VR.

50p is all yours! I always forget to start out by mentioning that its a 2.9 ABV engine.

Yesterday I took out all the air intake stuff to check. Good bit of oil in there. Put it all back and disconnected the battery for a few minutes before driving for half hour. Guess I need to research how to do a proper ecu reset. Need to look into the cat converter as well...would I need to remove it to shake it then? How do I clean the MAF sensor chip - remove it from the rear and clean with alcohol?

Thanks for help so far.

On a side note, noticed a leak at bottom of auxiliary water pump not sure but might have to replace it and the two pipes. I'm wondering if the pump itself should be secured, as mine seems farily loose. Sorry all questions at the moment. :shrug:

We had the same issue with the engine revving when it should be at idle. it would climb up to 2000 then drop, sometimes would start climbing again and repeat.

We havent got the lambda sensor connected lol! I would say its your lambda! Your MPG is massively effected by your lambda