Sign in to follow this  
tribetype40

24V conversions made 'weekend' E A S Y !!!

BTW How's your VRt running, did I read you junked the DTA in favour of a return to OBD2? I owe you some tuning info too don't I! I must dig that out and mail it over

I'll PM you!

Hmmm, not up on my Autos. I cant see why not as you could think of this as a 24V VR but I'm not sure how the Auto ECU's workout when to change gear. I'm guessing its torque related but I dont know how this is monitored by the Ecu etc. maybe someone with more knowledge on the working of auto ecus could shed some light...?? anyone.

The beauty of this conversion is you could try it and if it doesn't work you can put the standard engine back in as very very little is actually modified!.

I got to drive mine for the first time this weekend. It was only moving it about on the drive but it pulled strongly so I think it will drive ok as is - ie, no mapping.

I have a few bits to do to the rest of the car before I can get it MOT'd but I'm thinking of booking it in on Tuesday. I will then be getting it mapped so we can see the results...!

Time to keep my eyes peeled for a VR with a shagged engine I reckon!

Time to keep my eyes peeled for a VR with a shagged engine I reckon!

Too right. Im watching this with great interest aswell.

Well done on your hard work - Im sure youll make some good money once you have a polished product :D

GOOD NEWS!

managed to bolt enough of the car together to get a shakedown drive done. Just got back from a blast up the road and things are looking really good! As it is at the moment I haven't wired up the variable inlet and there is no cam advance but it drives very well. low down pulls very keenly but it feels a little flat higher in the rev range but that said, its had NO mapping at all, its running and totally drivable entirely on the standard VR6 mangement!

I would have taken a vid but my power steering pump it knakered so squealing like a cornered virgin plus there's no interior in it so its all a little noisy in there. i will have it all tidied up by Tuesday as tomorrows job is to book it in for the MOT.

Then I will finally get around to getting it mapped.

:)

Very interested in seeing how this progresses. A long way off doing anything like this but has to be a good alternative to doing the timing chains!

no, not yet. sorry. got side traked on making some progress on the interior (which is starting to look pretty spanky!.. cue teaser shot....) DSC_0215_01_1_1.JPG[/attachment:c0pl7a1k]

plus I get married in 2 weeks so all spare time has just been utterly consumed with that!

Should be back on it when I get my time back after the honeymoon. ;-)

no, not yet. sorry. got side traked on making some progress on the interior (which is starting to look pretty spanky!.. cue teaser shot....) DSC_0215_01_1_1.JPG[/attachment:3qkimkni]

Is this going into a Corrado?

I think I recognise that dashboard and amazingly I have seen one of them inside a Corrado before. :notworthy:

So... Where is the interior from and how does it fit in a Corrado?

Looks sweet in that pic.

Aftre last post I reread entire thread from start and the work you are doing is hugely impressive... Depending on final costs I will be taking you up on the 24v conversion fairly soon after you start doing them commercially really.

pm me when ready to organise a build pls mate...

haha, you should see the rest!

The dash is actually the old one I did (was brown last time) but it been totally reworked. The old dash was unique but looking back at the old pictures, fit and finish was pretty ropey. This time the entire dash was stripped back, most of the panels cut right back so I only had the bits I actually needed. It was then a grafted back on the origonal corrado dash so I knew it would all fit 100%.

Theres actaully very little of the corrado dash left under there now, just the air ducting really and parts of the frame which bolt to the car. all the edges between the parts were all reworked making sure the fit between the panels was spot on. I also spent a lot of time working out how, where and what type of fixings to use.

If you saw the old one, this one is a world apart! I think (when I try and look at it through an unbiased eye!) thats its verging on OEM but I'll see what peoples feedback is once its finished.

The only thing that bugging me now is, with the engine bay looking new and the interior going the same way, that the exterior is letting the side down! lol

cheers for the encouraging comments.

Yeah, sorry guys, progress has been hampered with 'other things'

Progress has been more 'intellectual' more than 'physical' as I haven’t touched the car in weeks. Good news is I believe I have come up with a device to control the cam advance. I'm now delaying the mapping until I get this made up.

Hopefully the parts should arrive this week so I should be able to bust out the soldering iron and get it made up and fitted over the bank holiday.