Sign in to follow this  
garrett

Values will rocket people!

".. running costs should be low .."

WTF?

Corrado running costs are low. It's just that enthusiasts like us spend more than we need to, fixing the smallest of issues by throwing lots of money at the issue (see your steering problems as a good example!)

Fuel economy is... reasonable... insurance isn't great.... parts are mostly quite reasonable. I just bought new injectors for my car this week (£44/each) - I'd wager they're a damn sight more on any modern engine from VW other than a 3 cylinder Polo or something. Similarly I got 280mm genuine brake discs a few months back and they were like £25 each or something stupid. It's only body panels / trim pieces which are a bit of a rip off!

".. running costs should be low .."

WTF?

Corrado running costs are low. It's just that enthusiasts like us spend more than we need to, fixing the smallest of issues by throwing lots of money at the issue (see your steering problems as a good example!)

Fuel economy is... reasonable... insurance isn't great.... parts are mostly quite reasonable. I just bought new injectors for my car this week (£44/each) - I'd wager they're a damn sight more on any modern engine from VW other than a 3 cylinder Polo or something. Similarly I got 280mm genuine brake discs a few months back and they were like £25 each or something stupid. It's only body panels / trim pieces which are a bit of a rip off!

Got to agree, anything that is not unique to the Corrado is not too expensive but any Corrado specific items are definitely on a premium. Top example would be headlight switches, early one (common with the passat) are half the price of the later unique to the Corrado items.

We are at the low point of the cars value, another year or 2 will see prices start to head back up.

[...]

It's only body panels / trim pieces which are a bit of a rip off!

Ok, so for mechanicals you're right they're not *that* bad I guess. But trim parts are either outlandishly expensive (and they fail regularly too) or simply unavailable other than from scrapyards ..

We are at the low point of the cars value, another year or 2 will see prices start to head back up.

TBH I can't see this happening. New cars are getting ever cheaper and it's only the handful of truly mint cars that will show gains as their rarity increases. The average run-of-the-mill Corrado is just going to be another slightly ugly ageing coupe in most people's eyes. Less and less people want to run ever older cars, particularly one with the known foibles and part supply problems of this one..

TBH I can't see this happening. New cars are getting ever cheaper and it's only the handful of truly mint cars that will show gains as their rarity increases. The average run-of-the-mill Corrado is just going to be another slightly ugly ageing coupe in most people's eyes. Less and less people want to run ever older cars, particularly one with the known foibles and part supply problems of this one..

Got to disagree with that comment, just look at mk 2 Sciroccos, 5 years ago you could not give them away - even mint examples with FSH, now try to find one under £500 for sale. Mk 2 Golfs are the same, a half decent GTi will set you back £1000. Prices will start to creep back up but not until the supply of sheds starts to fall off and the cars go past the 20 year old point.

Got to disagree with that comment, just look at mk 2 Sciroccos, 5 years ago you could not give them away - even mint examples with FSH, now try to find one under £500 for sale. Mk 2 Golfs are the same, a half decent GTi will set you back £1000. Prices will start to creep back up but not until the supply of sheds starts to fall off and the cars go past the 20 year old point.

Ok maybe they'll "head up" but I hardly think anyone's going to be in danger of making back their annual insurance costs here, let alone making an actual profit .. !

Noting that the youngest Corrado is still only 14 years old -ish and they're not THAT rare yet, even in minty condition I think you're gonna have to hold on a fair while yet before they start making inroads into the collector's realm.

Noting that the youngest Corrado is still only 14 years old -ish and they're not THAT rare yet, even in minty condition I think you're gonna have to hold on a fair while yet before they start making inroads into the collector's realm.

Im keeping mine until I can sell it for more than the £8900 I paid for it 8 years ago :grin: Thats my excuse for hanging on to it for the next 20 years anyway :lol:

..you're gonna have to hold on a fair while yet before they start making inroads into the collector's realm.

Im keeping mine until I can sell it for more than the £8900 I paid for it 8 years ago :grin: Thats my excuse for hanging on to it for the next 20 years anyway :lol:

LOL indeed. :) You'll be waiting for the devaluation of the pound then .. ! Let's go hire Zimbabwe's finance minister..!

From all angles my Rado is the best car I've owned so far.

It's in better condition and just as well made as my 2008 Ford Focus (wife's fault in the Focus condition stakes - she thinks it's a bumper car!)

and it's a million times better to drive!

It's reliable

Not too bad on fuel

Costs £127 to insure (classic policy)

It never fails to get attention wherever it goes

It cost me £1200 last November and has cost me (including £325 of wheels) another £600 since.

..you're gonna have to hold on a fair while yet before they start making inroads into the collector's realm.

LOL indeed. :) You'll be waiting for the devaluation of the pound then .. ! Let's go hire Zimbabwe's finance minister..![/quote:3jruj2jb]

Heh, I dunno the muppet in charge at the moment is more than capable of doing this without Zimbadwes help...

I wasn't ever suggesting that values would go through the roof, just that we are at the low point of the car's value.

ditto

topic total rubbish - but funny !

there is scriocco gts on evilbay for near 3k..........

got too be soon the price of the c will rise for good examples :salute:

all i can see is a madly bid upon gt II, going for 1k. mad.

All the rest are pie in the sky private ads.

Its the same for TT's, privates are asking silly prices. Whereas go to a trade advert in auto trader and they're bottom, half of them there.

Face it, the dealers got 6 year old celica going for 4k, a 5 year old RX8 going for 5 to 6k, he isnt going to flog an old scirocco in a hurry if he asks over 1k.

Can't see it taking 20 years to be worth that much...