Sign in to follow this  
g60rc

G60 feels very sluggish

My G60 feels very sluggish with small amounts of throttle, you have to push it further down than other cars to accelerate. When you open the 2nd butterfly (or stage of throttle, whatever it is) it is fine and pulls quite well. Its as though small amoutns of throttle dont really do anything in 4th/5th and you have to push quite far until you can accelerate...

Is this a g60 thing, or is there something up?

if your last car was na it will feel a bit more sluggish tbh

depends what revs your at as well, i find i have to change gear a lot more in my g60 than in my golf 16v because the g60 hates being under 2k in 3rd and 4th. remember without the charger its only a shitty 8v!

Cheers,

thats kind of what i had thought.

previous (and other) car is a twin 40'd 1.4/1.6 (depending on what engined atm) small block 8v

vvery pokey wherever...

hmm, so its aabout right? :(

yes,its a low comp 1.8 8v 4 pot, however the g-larder always makes a little boost even at idle.

Thats why I asked how long you have had the car.

What I was hinting at is,is it in tune?

In regards to your original question,for me maybe a little under very small throttle openings but it should come alive fairy quickly around 2k+ imo.

previous (and other) car is a twin 40'd 1.4/1.6

vvery pokey wherever...

hmm, so its aabout right? :(

It will definately feel a bit 'flat' pottering about compared to sommet on webbers, Ive always thought the same when driving about off boost. Especially trying to cruise up a large hill, it feels as though you have to force (excuse the pun) it to keep good momentum going.

I previously ran a mk1 golf 16v on 45 webers (oh how i miss it) and i only wish the G60 was as responsive/snappy on the throttle. My heart lies with N/A really.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v17/m ... evving.flv

Thanks guys,

Mine also does tbh, screaming dellorto's are for me.

The g60 then, it has a freshly rebuilt and ported charger and 68mm pulley. So i was expecting more snappiness i think, but i havnt got a standard one to guage against. It certainly doesn't feel the 180ish BHP you would expect(?), and with a charger running all the time, i was expecting a kick or "go" from any revs.

:(

hows your throttle cable adjustment? The reason I ask is I found I wasnt getting full throttle with the peddle hard against the plastic stop on the floor when I first got it. By adjusting the outer cable clip under the bonnet to take up the slack & cutting approx 1/4" off the plastic stop I now get full throttle & a much more responsive car. My stock G60 will pull from 1k rpm in 5th gear smoothly & no pinking with 97 octane fuel but doesnt really get going until 2k. Also performs noticably better on a cool day as the intercooler has more effect I guess.

Mick

my throttle cable was slack, but i adjusted it just before starting to drive the car, so no problems there.

It currently has no back box attached, the pipe has rusted completely through before it, so its just sitting there. Would this sap power at all? I'm also running a superships chip, probably bought about 10+ years ago, so an SNS might help? It does smell a bit petrolly from the exhuast.

Can't see any boost leaks, but it still feels much slower than i expected, not just off boost. Maybe its coming from a 840kg golf with the dellortos, though the power to weight of this should still be much higher...???

Another thing maybe worth mentioning was that we had it rolling roaded a couple of years ago, then we thought it was standard so the 164bhp was nice, but we now know that it had a 68mm pulley, so that seems down on power. What could be causing this (now fresh stage 4 charger + the pulley)

Cheeers :)

hmmm... Best thing to do I reckon is get the car checked out by one of the pros... I bought my second g60 recently which has a big bore under it. when I bought it I thought it felt a bit sluggish compared to my other standard bore one, so took it to the phirm! He agreed, Saying it feels VERY flat, and that it must feel like a 1.4 to drive!! ... Basically, the timing on the car was well out... not enough advance, leaving me with NO power down low. Just a suggestion...?!

Good Luck,

Jared

Im yet to check the iginition timing - i'm happy to give it a go though.. Could well be a problem though i suppose.

Can somebody tell me where i aim the strobe, the aux pully on the crank has a timing notch, but doesn't seem to have anything to line up with (or put 'x'degrees before) if you know what i mean. Should there be a marker that i dont have...?

Aim the strobe at the flywheel. Take the pastic bung out of the bellhousing on the gearbox. This will expose the flywheel.

Check ignition timing with oil temp

Note - there will be two lines on the flywheel - one for TDC and one for 6degBTDC.

my throttle cable was slack, but i adjusted it just before starting to drive the car, so no problems there.

It currently has no back box attached, the pipe has rusted completely through before it, so its just sitting there. Would this sap power at all? I'm also running a superships chip, probably bought about 10+ years ago, so an SNS might help? It does smell a bit petrolly from the exhuast.

Can't see any boost leaks, but it still feels much slower than i expected, not just off boost. Maybe its coming from a 840kg golf with the dellortos, though the power to weight of this should still be much higher...???

Another thing maybe worth mentioning was that we had it rolling roaded a couple of years ago, then we thought it was standard so the 164bhp was nice, but we now know that it had a 68mm pulley, so that seems down on power. What could be causing this (now fresh stage 4 charger + the pulley)

Cheeers :)

I feel you pain there weather or not your g60 is sluggish not quite the same as a mk1 golf reving its nuts off is it I miss my old gti so much, chip and charger could ahve alot to do with it, get aboost pressure reading that shold tell you alot.