Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

What Rado cant make up my mind.

r32 + cams + induction kit + remap = racecar noise :D thats what motivated me to do it, its different to a vr but its still growly and is not necessarily cheaper than a supercharger converison cos this all depends how much work you'll do yourself and where the parts are got from

What's all this ridiculous talk about VRs and valvers? What you want is a nice G60 ;)

i am interested because like everyone i want MORE power, i am thinking of supercharging mine at stealth racing later this year, but its all going to cost money!!

if your budget can stretch that far, go for a turbo, much more potential for big power later down the road...if you want tried and tested convienience limited to about 350-400, then go charger, preferably Rotrex.

I did neither and got a Vortech VF9, which I am still very happy with...but I want more powerrrrrrr :vamp:

Best advice i can offer is to get the very best example available at the time - regardless of the distance you have to travel to get it - it will pay you back long term. Don't be fooled by a cheaper car that you can 'restore' over time - it's by far the most expensive and involved option. Take your time finding a car - youre right in saying there aren't very many around - and you will find 70% of whats on sale are tired examples that require thousands spent on them - everything on the cars can need fixed/replacing (thats not a joke!) - so don't rush and find one thats already been pampered. Therefore I'd add another 2-3k onto your budget - it may seem too much now - but in 2-3 years you'll be glad you spent another 2k on the car, not another 6k on receipts.

Listen to this man. Think about the running costs too. Corrado's are classic cars now and parts are being discontinued all the time as I've been find out to my detriment recently. I had a misfire on my VR and it turned out to need a new MAF, new plugs and leads and a new dizzy. Including labour and parts I was looking at a bill for £700. Heater matrix also blew without warning - £500 all in. So that's well over a grand for a car with is worth about £4K (probably less now). Personally I wouldn't use a Corrado for a 40 mile per day commute. I've had a G60 and a VR and they're both brilliant - the engines are very much the soul of the car for me and I wouldn't get a valver - it doesn't get my pulse racing :ignore: If you're liquid enough to deal with costly problems as and when they arise then fair enough but I don't know of many 19 year olds with hundreds of pounds sloshing about ;-)

EDIT: Thinking about it I'd get a tidy Mk 2 8v GTI for a couple of years as there are tons of spares available for them and then upgrade to a Vr or G60 in a couple of years once you've got some NCB

personally I prefer the interior and the front end from the early cars, much sharper.

Yep.

VRs don't drive as nicely as the 4 cylinder varients, far more nose heavy.

Yep.

but the first time a VR goes past he'll wish he had one.

Nope.

:lol:

G60s are where it's at. Best sports car of the lot.

Nope.

I don't believe you're not just a little bit jealous of the VR.... :tongue: There's no replacement for displacement.

Nope.

I don't believe you're not just a little bit jealous of the VR.... :tongue: There's no replacement for displacement.[/quote:3ca0ysc1]

Well, I am a little jealous of your car because it rocks. But if I could only have one it would be (and in fact is) a G60. :grin:

That doesn't stop me from wanting a VR as well though..... :lol:

swap your g60 for my vr6 then... actually i changed my mind sorry!!hehe

my last post didnt come up :confused4:

if i had £4000-£4500, what mods should i carry out on my rado for the ultimate power gain??? i want it reliable and im useless at any work under my bonnet so someone would have to do it for me...sorry this is off topic, going back to that, buy a vr6 hahahaha!!

swap your g60 for my vr6 then... actually i changed my mind sorry!!hehe

Wouldn't swap it anyway. :tongue: Love my G60. :luvlove: :luvlove: :luvlove:

Personally I wouldn't use a Corrado for a 40 mile per day commute. If you're liquid enough to deal with costly problems as and when they arise then fair enough but I don't know of many 19 year olds with hundreds of pounds sloshing about ;-)

Exactly what I was doing with my 9a... 200 miles a week in all weathers through Sun/Rain/Ice/Snow all on A/B roads... only things that failed were Dizzy arm and cap (Arm disintergrated and took the cap with it) cost about £20, and the Back-box departed at 7am in the middle of Amersham, up hill.. noisy!

Touch wood apart from "Service Items" (inc discs/pads/etc) all I've had to change is a Rad and some of the rubber Coolant pipes that had come to End of life.

This is of course discounting all the shiny stuff I have bought! :norty:

Not bad for a car that set me back £1200 4 years ago, when a smiliar mileaged (90ish-k) VR/G60 would have set me back 3-4times that! :gag:

TBH yes VR's "sound nice", and yes "Played with" G's are quick (Eh Lisa?) but for all that I love the sound of a 4-pot with exhaust and intake mods at above 4000rpm...

If you get a well maintained 16v and service it regularly, (not scrimping on parts, try to use VAG where possible) then they are very reliable, and quite economical motors...

And it doesn't matter what flavour you end up with, it will always make you smile as you walk out the front door!

I'm probably a bit sad but I still walk a little way from the house and just look at mine when I pop out for a fag, even at night! :luvlove:

TBH yes VR's "sound nice", and yes "Played with" G's are quick (Eh Lisa?) but for all that I love the sound of a 4-pot with exhaust and intake mods at above 4000rpm...

And it doesn't matter what flavour you end up with, it will always make you smile as you walk out the front door!

I'm probably a bit sad but I still walk a little way from the house and just look at mine when I pop out for a fag, even at night! :luvlove:

Snap, well said that man. I love my valver and the noise it makes on cam is just brill, sounds like a proper sports car. Sure by modern standards it's not that quick (damn those funky new TDI's) but it still more than a match for a chav in a saxo or corsa.

Best £1100 I ever spent.

Nick

you guys are right, i have never walked away from my corrado and not looked back, at least once, twice even three times!!! thats not coz of the engine, thats coz they are such good looking awesome cars!!! if i was 19 and had a 1ltr corrado, i wouldnt give a crap!!!

As much as I would love a G60 or VR Some how I dont think I will be able to get hold of a ressonabley priced insurance cover for my age.

So I think a Valver will be the best car for me. Mainly because the insurance will be cheeper, also the proformance will be preaty good too :ignore: I say this because at the moment I drive a 1.4 golf :camp: and I think a 2lt 16vl will be considerable more powerfull than my golf.

As much as I would love a G60 or VR Some how I dont think I will be able to get hold of a ressonabley priced insurance cover for my age.

So I think a Valver will be the best car for me. Mainly because the insurance will be cheeper, also the proformance will be preaty good too :ignore: I say this because at the moment I drive a 1.4 golf :camp: and I think a 2lt 16vl will be considerable more powerfull than my golf.

Why dont you get some insurance quotes for a G60 VR and Valver before you commit? You dont have to own the car to get an insurance price, so you cant lose. Give HIC, Adrian Flux and Chris Knott a ring and see what they offer.

I'm certainly someone who's normally camped in the VR lot but if he's spending £2,500 on a VR ... a) it's not going to be the finest example and will undoubtedly need a fair bit spent on it over the first 6 months (not guaranteed I know but you'd be daft to expect it to need nothing spent) b) his insurance will be in the region of AT LEAST £1,500 so his budget is £4k right away, ignoring any tax, MOT and other costs that spring up.

Be serious guys, as much as VR is nice, it's just majorly unrealistic in this case, unless his pockets are a lot deeper than he's told us thus far.

Yup.

You'll spank £1000 on a few repairs to a corrado in no time at all. Trust me.... I'm a professional...

When VR guys tell you to buy a valver, take them seriously ;)

Especially when one of them is the Toad. He does things to young men that would make your eyes (amongst other things) water :tongue:

When VR guys tell you to buy a valver, take them seriously ;)

Especially when one of them is the Toad. He does things to young men that would make your eyes (amongst other things) water :tongue:

If you want to have a good look round a couple of cars to see what to look out for, come over.... You're more than welcome... Just don't tell anyone where you are going, and promise not to scream when I push you in the car boot... It's a... errr..... tradition round these parts. ;)

Seriously though, find someone who can show you round a car... And make sure you wear clean socks. :)

I'm certainly someone who's normally camped in the VR lot but if he's spending £2,500 on a VR ... a) it's not going to be the finest example and will undoubtedly need a fair bit spent on it over the first 6 months (not guaranteed I know but you'd be daft to expect it to need nothing spent) b) his insurance will be in the region of AT LEAST £1,500 so his budget is £4k right away, ignoring any tax, MOT and other costs that spring up.

Be serious guys, as much as VR is nice, it's just majorly unrealistic in this case, unless his pockets are a lot deeper than he's told us thus far.

when you put it like that you have it spot on!!! do as much research as possible and only go for what you can afford at the end of the day!!!

Well I'm going to get some quotes to see what it would cost on each of the different models and take it from there, but I think we all know which car will be cheaper for me to insure.

Which ever car I get I will still be on top of the moon because its a CORRADO :D

And yes most of you are right my pockets arent lined with money ( altho it would be nice). If I'm not spending stupid amounts of money to insure it and in the unfortunate event of something going wrong then I should be able to aford the repairs

Another thing to bear in mind when listening to all us lot talk about running costs and expenditure is the standard of car each of us drive. I spent quite a bit on both my cars to begin with and personally I can’t tolerate much in the way of body or mechanical defects. An example was the lacquer peel on my wings and stone-chipped bonnet. Many people would have left it (the car’s 16 years old!) but as I’m a bit of a perfectionist I had to have it re-sprayed at considerable cost. Now I’m several hundred pounds down as a result where lots of other people would have left it and still enjoyed the car as much. A lot of the expenditure bar the obvious consumables is driven by how much you care about your car and how much of a ‘doer-upper’ you are.

If you're worried about insurance costs,petrol costs and maintenance costs it's not a Corrado you need.

You need a Ford Ka.

If you're worried about insurance costs,petrol costs and maintenance costs it's not a Corrado you need.

You need a Ford Ka.

HAHA I never said I was worried. I was just wondering which one was the cheapest to run. :D

I think the problem is that a lot of the newer (younger) owners are buying at the cheaper end of the spectrum not expecting massive running/insurance costs. Unfortunately I don't think a lot of them are worried to begin with. Admittedly, I think I'd probably be in the same boat, but hindsight is a fantastic thing!