Sign in to follow this  
dazzyvr6

new car tax rules as of 01/01/2004

New road tax rules

are you up to date?

> NEW ROAD TAX RULES

The new road tax rules mean that the keeper named on a Vehicle Registration Certificate - also known as a logbook - is legally responsible for taxing a vehicle until DVLA has been notified that it is off the road or has been sold, transferred, scrapped or exported.

The tax rules are part of a Government programme to reform vehicle licensing and registration. Having more up-to-date records will help us to tackle vehicle crime and the problems of abandoned vehicles and uninsured motoring.

This leaflet explains how the road tax rules will affect:

your tax disc

vehicles that are off the road

selling your vehicle

your Vehicle Registration Certificate.

Your TAX DISC

If you don't tax your vehicle on time, you will receive a penalty of up to £80. And if you continue to drive without a valid tax disc, you could be fined a minimum of £1,000.

Every month we will carry out computer checks to identify vehicles that do not have a valid tax disc.

We don't need to see your vehicle on a public road to find out if its tax disc is up to date. We just need to check our computer, which stores details about every registered vehicle and vehicle keeper in Great Britain. Even if you don't pay for your tax disc - for example, if your vehicle is in an exempt taxation class - you must still display your tax disc and it must be up to date.

Your tax disc is valid for 6 or 12 months; a renewal reminder form V11 (or V85/1 if it is a Heavy Goods Vehicle) will be sent to you about two weeks before your tax disc expires.

Don't get a penalty. Make sure that your tax disc is up to date.

Once again, the government is out to screw those who try and play by the book fair and square.

Don't worry about those guys out there driving without insurance, driving and with a fake MOT. Or even worse, those people out there car jacking and stealing the cars. Absolutely f*ck all seems to happen to those guys.. just the regular motorists that the government wants to screw.

Roll on the general elections. I can't wait to see the back of Labour.

Roll on the general elections. I can't wait to see the back of Labour.

I agree with your sentiments, but can't see what "the opposition" are going to do differently.

There is no opposition, there is no choice. (You will be assimilated, resistance is futile...?)

Anyway, I don't see how these changes effect anyone on the forum in the slightest. It simply places the onus on the car owner to make sure their tax is up to date, rather than leaving the onus on the police to find and prosecute people who's tax is not up to date.

Of course, that's not going to fix the DVLA database overnight and get all the out-of-date information out of it, but it's going to encourage people to make sure the details are correct when they buy/sell cars.

For the most part, assuming you're buying your tax in the usual way for a normal vehicle, these rule changes will have ZERO impact on you.

Yeah.. sorry bout that.. just got all worked up :)

I think regardless of which party we have in power, we will get done regardless. Though things have gotten much more archaic and unfair under Labour imho.

Agree with Mr Matt and as they say..."Laws are for the 5% of the population that don't give a damn".

£1000 fine....hmmm. I've been done 3 times for not having tax and on each occasion, I received an "out of court settlement" of £75.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a tax evader, I was just either lazy or forgetful but rest assured....they WILL catch up with you eventually.

If the goverment are making such a fuss of it, then it's about time they updated the road taxation system. A bit of paper that we have to get ourselves each year is outdated. If they want to get their money, then they should deduct road tax from car owning families from their salaries.

K

I taxed my C this morning. Its been off the road for 3 months and without tax for 2 months due to me travelling. Fookin nobend behind the counter gave me greif this morning cos i said i hadnt filled out a SORN form blah blah blah blah blahblah...shut the fuck up and give me my tax disc!!!! proper little hitler he was!!

b*gger! I've got 3 cars off the road at the moment. I have a SORN for one of them, one of them has just run out of tax, and the other isn't even registered in my name yet.

I hope they don't come looking for me!