8vMatt

My Rado,VR6 Mystic Blue. Going VEGE diet....

Yesterday I went over to my brothers place to investigate the slight water leak from the front of the engine block. As I'm a complete novice at mechanics of cars, I've never attempted any servicing or stripping a car before. Now I've got a Corrado, I was determined to learn and get more confident at this kind of stuff. My brother is a qualified mechanic, so I can't go too far wrong with his help

So, starting to strip the front end down,

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

As we only needed to get access to view the engine, it wasn't necessary to disconnect the bonnet release cable. I've heard these are a pain to refix.

IMG_1701.jpg

Next up was to carefully lift the rad over to one side, again didn't want to disconnect anything,

IMG_1703.jpg

After an age of searching for any leak at all, only a tiny drip was visible between the crack pipe and thermostat housing. No damage was visible from the plastics, so we made the guess that it could be the O-ring sealing the two.

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

Thats pretty much all up to date at the moment, the alarm and dead battery was sorted out as well.

Oh yeah, changed the spark plugs and the old boys were shagged! A couple of ends had disintegrated, once changed the idle problem was gone completely. Had been stalling when coming to a junction or standstill. Drives smoother and pulls very nicely

Cheers for now.

Good pics mate! I've got a leaking radiator that is currently bodged with rad-weld, by removing the passenger headlight i can see its corroded at the bottom, i've been dreading the job of replacing it! Was it easy enough to remove the bumper/slam panal etc? Your pics will be a great help when the time comes!

Hi B41LEY,

Even to a novice like me, it was a very easy job.

First there are two 17mm bolts either side of the car underneath that hold the bumper legs on. You might need a big bar to undo these as they will be tight. Release the plastics that are under the car that attach to the bumper and inner arches if they are there. Pop off the indicators and release the wires from those and maybe the fogs (trying to remember!). At the bottom of the drivers side on the bumper you might have an air temp sensor, wiggle that free from the bumper. Back down under the car, you will see a long strip of metal running across the car, undo this and pop it off. Now you are ready to pull the bumper forward and off. Its a two handed operation.

The slam panel will have twelve bolts holding it, two either side at the top, two either side under the headlight, one either side into the wing and two in the middle at the bottom. There maybe little bits of trim that need removing but that should get you started. Do the same as me and don't worry about removing the bonnet release catch, just move the slam panel over to one side.

Hope you get on good and if I've forgotten anything then I'm sure the missing info will be filled by someone.

Hi there folks,

Been shopping tonight

Didn't realise quite how much I picked up until I started unloading everything this evening.

Some things I need for spares but there will be a surplus of bits and bobs. Feel free to shout if you recognise a part that you need but don't be offended if I don't want to sell it! Once I go through it all, I'll do a detailed for sale thread.

Here goes-

IMG_1708-1.jpg

IMG_1707-1.jpg

IMG_1712-1.jpg

IMG_1713-2.jpg

IMG_1714-2.jpg

IMG_1715-2.jpg

IMG_1709-1.jpg

IMG_1710-1.jpg

IMG_1711-1.jpg

And some plastic arch liners and a rear bumper as well not in a photo.

What a long evening and about a 110ish mile round trip. Bed now, knackered!

If you had a passenger side foglight (uncracked) i'd be happy to relieve you of it :D

Cheers

Martin

Are those Kenwood Dual Mags in the spare side pods......they bring back memories, someone once told me they were fitted standard in Maclaren F1 :lol:........not much into ICE anymore but I remember a time when everyone wanted them.

Your cars looking good by the way, love red rears on blue c's. Why have you bought all the spares or did I miss something in the thread ?

Hi Danny,

The guy told me all about the speakers being Dual Mags, didn't really mean much to me, good ones then? Thanks for the comments on the car, really pleased with it.

Basically I got a bit carried away buying spares. Initially wanted just what I needed but kept going and he gave me the rest.

Ha ha, the van used is my ex- AA T4 I have for work. Good job as well, it was jam packed with bits and bobs!

Hi Danny,

The guy told me all about the speakers being Dual Mags, didn't really mean much to me, good ones then? Thanks for the comments on the car, really pleased with it.

Basically I got a bit carried away buying spares. Initially wanted just what I needed but kept going and he gave me the rest.

Well in their day they were considered one of the best I think, I just always liked the design and colour of them but when I had a pair they didnt seem to live up to the hype.....as with most things I suppose :roll: .

Suppose if you have space its always good to have spares, with the way this forum is growing there is always gonna be someone who will want them if you dont.

Wow, its been a while since updating things. I'll have to do a bit of a quick skip through things to try to keep it brief and to save my fingers falling off from typing too much :gag: :)

Firstly I had the whole car machine polished to remove swirls, scratches and the like. My mate did a great job on it, really brought out the colour-

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

I finally got round to sorting out the water leak on the engine, it turned out to be a broken section in the thermostatic housing. All bits replaced with genuine VW parts. While I had the cooling system drained, I had the chance to carryout the mk4 Golf header tank mod. Especially as mine was poop and you couldn't see any levels. Used G12 coolant to fill back up, I want to do things properly with this car. Got my hands on a pair of fogs from good old Ebay as well.

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

Just a couple of shots taken the other night, I picked up a set of In-Pros and an original Storm grill that I wanted to freshen up the front end. The lights are covered with smoked headlight protectors. I've not been getting much love for these lights but I like them, especially as they run with HID's to make a big difference to night time driving. I know this car is in need of a serious bit of lowering, that will happen one day, just not one soon :cuckoo:

IMG_0094-1.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

I fitted a secondhand sub and amp from a mate that gives good depth to the music without it being a chav window smashing experience, a 12" JBL sub in a box and a Kenwood amp, no pics but you know the thing 8)

Been out today and picked up a new toy.

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

That brings me upto date now I think, thanks for looking all. :salute:

Another quick update folks-

Recently picked up a new Corrado badge from TPS, under £13 which I thought was reasonable. I sold my chrome badge because I wanted a clean look rear end, not realising the badge would leave 4 holes in the bodywork, oops. So with not wanted to have the panel filled and sprayed, I've got the badge and sprayed it body colour with a mixed rattle can. Was a good match as well.

Also picked up a set of Audi TT Comps in 7.5x17. They were a bit rough when I got them. I've spent the last few days cleaning and polishing them upto a mirror polish finish. They're getting there and will look smart once fitted. Will prob get to fit them in the next week or two, depending on work etc.

This Sat I'll be going to TSR for a Rolling Road dayout. Really not sure what kind of power I can expect to see? Any thoughts guys?

In the next 2-3 weeks I'll be getting an oil and filter change just to keep things sweet before the winter time. Cheers for now.

great thread matey car is lookin nice doin some more to mine at weekend i realy want to go to rolling road what time you goin n where is it? just depends on work at mo ,rob :salute:

oh yea did you use that heat reflective spray on manifold cover n bits you were goin to let me know how it went ,mine needs doin aswell :)

Good work mate, just seen this thread for the first time in a while. I can now see your pics & it looks great!!

The colour (sorry to drag this up again) is Mystic Blue, Id know it anywhere. My old mans C is Aqua Blue but yours (like mine) is darker - looks sweet!

PS sell me your wheels !! :clap: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your good comments, its coming along now. Just doing little tidy up jobs. I've been lucky with it so far but don't want to tempt fate! Haha.

You want to buy the new wheels or the wheels in the pics? If the ones in the pics, they are actually available. Let us know. They are in the parts section at the mo.

well well!! let me have a looksie :D

edit. best to wait & see how much clearence i need with me big stoppers 1st :|

& that would take me to 4 sets o wheels too. good price though & they do look fantasticos!

Been to TSR today, had a Rolling Road test done for the first time. Awesome time and some amazing cars and figures produced, an Audi RS6 had 413bhp, a Leon Cupra R had 364bhp!

My figures aren't as good as most on there today but I'm reasonably happy with what was produced-

BHP-180 exactly

Torque- 168lbs

Was a little surprised at how hard they push the cars to get the figures, suppose they have to, to get the right readings. Mine revved to 6590rpm :gag:

A couple pics and a quick Vid of mine-

IMG_0139-1.jpg

IMG_0136-1.jpg

th_MVI_0137.jpg

Hi Matt, those figures aint to bad at all, down a little bit but nothin major :clap: Like the vid, 1st time i've seen a vr on the rollers, notice how much the engine moves in the bay, especially when coming off the gas. Will look smart with the new rims on there :grin:

Cheers

Mart

I know, I was really surprised myself by the movement of the engine. There were others there that moved loads more than this :shock:

hey bud nice one ,as said when you came round ,would be proud of the vr mate .spoke to robster n he said i hope the one he sold me should be pushin 200bhp dont know bout that! when shes resprayed n back on the road mabe ile take me chances n redline her on the rollin road :lol: .listnin to yours screamin for mercy dont know if i could do it! :)

I know, I was really surprised myself by the movement of the engine. There were others there that moved loads more than this :shock:

I Knew it moved but didn't think by that much, spose i've never seen inside a bay of a vr when been doin that much rpm :lol: