8vMatt

My Rado,VR6 Mystic Blue. Going VEGE diet....

Spent the last couple of months picking up bits and bobs for my big brakes conversion.

Bought a pair of Porsche Cayenne rear Brembo calipers, was very lucky with these. Came with pads, pad locators and brake lines still attached. Have now bought new pads as well. -

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

Next came nice shiny new 323mm Cupra R discs from KipVR (thankyou so much mate), bloody huuuge-

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

Had a very clever mate do some computer designs for me for the brackets, I've now made one in oak and have been playing about with fitting positions of the holes. Very nearly there, just a small bit tweaking and I'm sure it will be spot on-

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

So all I need to get is the final metal versions of the brackets, and 5.1 brake fluid. My brother will make sure I don't go too far wrong with fitment as he's a mechcanic by trade.

Cheers for looking.

looking good mate, those discs and calipers look mahoosive! i wanna see em behind the wheels! lol

So do I mate!!! They do look scary big, should be big grins from braking soon. Have to watch out for the idiots behind :shock:

Had time to do a bit of a wash and clean up today. Tried the clay bar I bought the other week. Was amazed at the amount of crap it pulled off the paintwork Worked a treat guys, oh no I'm liking this detailing game more now!

Anyway a couple of pics to hopefully show the standard of cleaning this stuff does-

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

Those brakes are looking good mate :D

Does claying the car take ages? My Mk2 paint feels really rough when you run your hand over it. But I'm not bothered enough to spend lotsof time on it, I've got a corrado to finish after all :lol:

Those brakes are looking good mate :D

Does claying the car take ages? My Mk2 paint feels really rough when you run your hand over it. But I'm not bothered enough to spend lotsof time on it, I've got a corrado to finish after all :lol:

Haha, yeah there getting there. Just need to get my ass into gear and finish off the mock bracket :norty:

I'm a real novice on this detailing business, so others would prob take all day to clay the car :cuckoo: I took about an hour to zip around the car, including drying it all after the clay process. I bought a Meguiers quick detailing kit, it had a clay bar and a spray bottle. It was only cheap but has made a great difference to the 'smoothness' of running my hand over the paint. Go for it on the mk2 mate, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results :clap:

they are very wide callipers! are the wheel going to fit over them?

I was all happy about my measurements and positions of everything until your post made me question myself and start to get a little worried :pale: . As I hadn't been in a position to physically put the wheel over the disc and caliper, I thought it was best to double check it all!

Lucky the TT Comps have a big area behind the face to house the caliper, be interesting to see what other wheel choices I will have (prob not many!)

Well good news, the wheel spins freely :nuts: It is quite close though but not down to a few mm though.

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

Lets hope its not totally different on the car and causing loads of headaches :gag:

christ on a bike that close mate. you are lucky they have that bit extra space lol, really liking the look of em tho! :D

the clay does wonders tho dont it. havent clayed mine since 2008 so it will be time soon to whip it all out and give her a proper seeing to!

You have struck it lucky on the clearance, what's the offset of the wheels?

I had to run 12mm spacers on mine.

An hour to clay it.... Maybe in the summer!

Cheers for all the positive feedback guys.

Struck it lucky on the clearance? Pah, had it all worked out :norty: Phew!

Very happy with the results of claying, saw a few mates today and they all said how good the car looked :salute:

This month has been about getting hold of new parts to either carryout maintenance or uprate things.

Firstly a new head, well not brand new but fitted with parts that have done around 5k miles. Here's a breakdown of what has been done to the head-

Head including -

New SP 263 cams

New Light weight lifters

New Autotech HD Springs

New Genuine spec Valve Guides

New-ish Genuine retainers and valve keepers

New GSF stem seals

Work carried out:

Head given a cleaning skim

3 angle inlet valves and single angle exhaust valve (all re-machined in this way, a lot better than standard air flow wise)

valves re-seated.

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

Thanks for the purchase Chris, very nice man :wave: Also picked up a set of ARP head bolts for the head fitment and new timing chains and tensioners (128k and not sure if they have been done :shrug: ). Hoping to get this little lot fitted with LOTS of help from a friendly mechanical genius :nuts: around Easter time if poss.

IMG_0295.jpg

wait a minute!! Mystic Blue? Big Fat Brembos? SP 263 cams?? SNAP!! :lol: :lol:

Mate the cams are very very good.... enjoy :D

Haha, so what are you planning next for yours then Chris? Our cars could be twins!

Yeah I'm really looking forward to getting the new head on and seeing the difference that makes.

How are you getting on with progress on yours then mate?

Im not telling you!!! :p:p:p

Only kidding mukka. Ive plenty to be doing when Im back (4 weeks till I fly - yes!!) bought: Steering Wheel, Audioscapes, propper Gucci bonnet stay (off my pa for crimbo) Brembos (still need carriers) and maybe a milltek :clap: :clap:

Cant wait man 8)

Are you going to map it when you have the head on? Mine is sooooo much smoother than before & is sharper too :D

Thats a cool list of new toys.

The more I'm thinking about the re-map, the more I think I will have to get it done, just a question of lots of costs. Sounds worth it, would you say there's much extra power or just revs and drives better?