Sign in to follow this  
Majik

Lost locking wheel nut key

well actually my cousin lost it somewhere, what do i do now? tried to open it with the universal socket but no joy.

shall i take it to a tyre shop?

well actually my cousin lost it somewhere, what do i do now? tried to open it with the universal socket but no joy.

shall i take it to a tyre shop?

what kind of locking nut is it? what type of head? is it a tri lock set??

depends on the type of nut, my mate swares by the old hammer a socket onto it and then open it by ratchet!!

Will only work on some types

If its the original VW ones then you should still be able to get a replacement, not sure what info they will need tho... maybe chassis number??

Sone tyre places will have kits or universal tools to get them out...

Hopefully it isn't a Trilock! One of my bolts rounded off (god they're sh!te) and it took Stealth 2 hours, 2 drills, and 4 drill bits to remove it!

K

There is a tool available to get these off. It is an oversize socket with a left handed thread inside which cuts into the outside of the locking bolt as you buzz it off. They are expensive from Snap-On. Around £90 for a set. I am sure Taskmaster do them also. The Brittool agent that comes into my work said they did them and were around £30. You can always try the old socket hammered over the top as mentioned before. It works best with a double hex i find. Get one that is just slightly smaller than the collar of the bolt. Hammer it on nice and tight and then it should turn off. There is a very good chance the socket will crack but you may be lucky enough to get them off. Good luck.

If its a tri lock set, your welcome to my socket to that set, i took them off as i know how dodgy they can become, but for some strange reason still have them in the garage.

Guys,

I know I may be paranoid BUT would it not be better to have this conversation offline somewhere so that we are not broadcasting handy hints for nicking alloys to any of the scum who happens to look on here!

Jim (sleeping with keys under pillow tonight)

Once Majik has the problem sorted, we could always delete the thread or move it somewhere where it's not readable.

I doubt if a 'professional thief' would learn something new from us. Besides they will be in the pub spending their ill gotten gains on lager. :lol:

I used a 17 mm impact socket on some triloc bolts after taking the spinning ring thing off. I got four bolts out with it in 10 mins no problems.

Gavin

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and the dealers were spectacularly unhelpful.

However phone VW uk and they will put you in touch with the parts manager in Milton Keynes. This guy was so helpful I don't think I will ever phone a dealer again!

In the end I found a tyre fitter who had the 'tool' to do the job and it was done in 5 minutes :D

if its an original pop to your local dealer and they hold a set to fit all oe types. they will get the one to fit and remove all of them for you. will prob charge 1/4 hr labour or will prob waver it if you buy a new set from them.

if not then socket as mentioned, drilling or phone your local snap-on dealer and ask if he has sold a locking wheel nut remover toll kit to a garage locally and take it to them.

the kit has a adapter that sits in the wheel abd you center punch the nut. you then use a impact driver with a cutter type tool that digs into the wheel bolt and as you hit it you undo the bolt. works brilliantly