Sign in to follow this  
Riley

Still 'bangy' on the front end.

Reyt...Are corrado's supposed to feel like the front end is falling off?

Ive recently replaced:

top mounts.

wishbones and bushes.

drop links.

ball joints.

track rods.

all engine mounts.

I didn't get around to doing the anti roll bar bushes/steering rack bush. Anyway, it still has a 'banging' or a feeling of something having some play somewhere over rough/bumpy roads. :(

There is a slight 'knock' through the steering but that feels like the column, diffarent thing.

Ive had a look at etka, and it seems there are some bushes on the engine carrier, bonded mounting. Does anyone have any good pictures of these? Are they a likely culprit? and are they easy to replace?

Im guessing support engine/box, and can you then drop the carrier on its own without the subframe?

Neil.

Yep, all spot on cheers mate. :salute:

Mmmm...I did wonder about that supercharged, as i suppose they don't really take a lot of grief with the way they are bolted up to the subframe?

Im 'Hoping' the shocks are ok :( They are fk konigsport which have covered around 20k miles...Ive recently replaced all 8 collars on them (not that this is the problem)

Mmmm...When tackling apeed bumps it does tend to feel like the damping has sort of disappeared when it 'bangs'

Its hard to explain stuff like this innit :lol: Its not like an obvious 'knock' or bang really, more of a 'thud' with an element of play somewhere... :scratch:

What ya think mate? Not sure there's an easy way to test the uprated/konigsport dampers, they are fine visually with no leaking around the piston?

Hmmm.... tbh I;m not a fan of the FK's at all... mine fell apart at less than 40k miles, 2 of the shocks were completely knackered, one at the front and one at the back on opposite corners...

The only real way to test is to take apart and see if the piston has any resistance and returns - 2 of mine just pushed in easily...

What about the bump test at each corner - see if there is any difference side to side...

I do tend to agree with you there mate...Although i couldn't fault the ride quality when i fitted them, i can't really compare them to what they are like now with the car having been on/off the road so much lately.

The pistons on all of mine had no resistance at all, and when pushing them in...they all returned a 'little' and slowly.

Hmmm... so if you pushed down on the piston hard it would just sink all the way?

If so them they are shot - think about it on the road and how they would be able to 'damp' like that...

I replaced mine with standard VR6 gas shocks and H&R's - ride quality and handling is so much better!!

Apologies...I meant no resistance as in being 'jolty' or 'uneven' or overly hard to push down ... :embarassed smily:

There is a good and even resistance pressure wise when they pushed in, they didn't just drop/push in easily. A nice umph with body weight (a whole 10stone :lol:) makes em go down nice and smoothly. And then pulled back up with a bit of effort.

Sorry for the confusion.

Not sure where to look really? :scratch:

Hi all, I'm having the exact same problem, it sounds like it anyway. As you said it's so hard to describe...... I've only had the lower ball joints and anti roll bushes replaced but it's still there. There is no play at all on smooth roads but as soon it gets a bit bumpy something doesn't feel right at all.... It is particurlarly noticeable when going over a gradual rise in the road and there is no force being put on the car for that split second you can really feel something giving with in the steering. It doesn't feel like it could be shock related though? or could it. Is really irritating as have only just bought it and apart from that it drives perfect!! You found any culprits yet? Excuse my vague understanding of anything mechanical!!

Cheers Oli

Nah, not found anything as yet im afraid mate.

I have had the wheels off and checked the tightness of:

Coilovers/track rods/ball joints/wishbone bolts/subframe bolts/engine mounts...And all are as tight as they should be. :(

The only things i havent replaced up front are the subframe bushes/anti roll bar bushes and steering rack rubber mount...But it feels like something more 'loose' than any of those would give through being tired.

When i build my new engine, im going to start from a secondhand subframe up, and redo it all again onc new steering rack etc.

Neil.

Cheers guys Ill get those checked out, but if that fails :shrug: Guess the play in it would be a bit more severe all the time if the actually rack needs replacing? But i dunno everyone seems to be having some kind of steering problems!! Thats what you get for having such a good driving car, you notice absolutely every little thing!!

could be a long shot, but have you checked the front crossmember/rad support panel for rust? when i pulled my G60 to bits for the respray, the crossmember had pretty much rusted through around the bolt holes on one side, which could have been a little dangerous? might be causing the banging if yours is the same ? (ive got a brand new VAG front crossmember if you needed one and all the associated nuts/bolts/bushings)