Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

Why its sometimes better to ring the Dealer first...

I thought I might just offer a little advice with regards to the supply of parts.

Being owners of older VW's I'm sure we've all come across it before; you need part XYZ and think "Sod paying dealer prices, I'll look on eBay/Corrado forum". Let me give you two very good reasons why it pays to ring a Dealer.

1. You may think "VW may never match the price of a XYZ part" but in fact many parts tend to be allot cheaper than you think and in many cases you can end up worse off financially buying from eBay and the like. Working with VAG I'm shocked at the prices some used parts make, for the sake of £5 you can have a brand new part on your Corrado which will probably last much longer :brickwall:

2. This, to me, is the more important reason; obsolescence. If VW gets insufficient demand for a part over a two year period then the part gets made obselete. Anyone with a recent copy of ETKA will see how few trims parts are now actually available for the interior of our cars and the fact is; if VW were selling them then they wouldn't stop making them.

Now, I'm not saying everyone should buy new as I know for some people thats financially impossible, nor am I trying to discredit the bargains that are on the site. What I'm saying is give your Dealer a chance because A) You may be suprised what you're quoted B) by not doing so you could be helping towards the demise of your own car and C) You'll be helping every Corrado owner in the long run :salute:

Another thing people should ask for is discount. You'll be suprised how easy it is to get 10% discount on Parts just by asking the question. If you don't ask you don't get ;) The worst they can say is no or meet halfway.

(Queue people ranting about how crap VW Dealers are :lol: )

Good post Mr McCrotch but I think you'd draw a much bigger crowd with some typical examples of what you're talking about. After all, it can't harm your sales :)

I`ve brought parts from the dealers for my car. The guy in the stores is really helpfull, and has a G60 himself. He can get parts next day if I want them, and gives me a discount :D

For those of you out there who think the dealers are a rip off, then think twice, it pays to get friendly with the stores guy, and if he can`t get parts for you, he know where you can get them cheaply

Good post Mr McCrotch but I think you'd draw a much bigger crowd with some typical examples of what you're talking about. After all, it can't harm your sales :)

I'll find some examples tomorrow ;)

swiftkid: £47.50 for one wiper and arm.

G60 brake discs come in surprisingly cheap.. and genuine VW ones last for tens of thousands of miles. Think they're like £25 a side or something! Cheap as chips! :)

I bought new injectors from VW - I think from GSF they'd have been about £5 cheaper. Figured I'd rather just put the whole order through VW and keep my local parts guys happy in terms of me being a regular customer.

Ok you have me sucked in. Before I buy a 2nd hand late style drivers door handle, how much for a shiney new one :grin:

P.S I really dont know why VAG as a group dont offer discount on parts for older cars and cheaper servicing. I mean how many 100's of 1000's of older cars are there out there! Or is it too much effort for the mechanics, getting all oily and having to learn a few new skills? :shrug:

You make a good point there. I've always known that they can be very competitive with prices, what i didn't think of was the obselete factor...... it makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Will definately be calling in at vw first in all future purchases. :D

Try to use the Stealers when I can, the guys now recognise me as the 'Corrado bloke', not sure if this is a good or bad sign. :scratch:

BUT while sometimes things turn out to be cheap, other bits just seem to have been priced at random. For example the metal clips that hold the headlight lense, think they were nearly £2 each when I bought a couple a few months ago. :cuckoo:

Agree with some of the Ebay stuff though, just because its on there doesn't mean its cheap. For example there is someone selling VW Corrado brake/acc pedal rubbers for £2 plus postage! When they are 50p a piece from GSF. :epicfail:

Oh, one last thing about using VW Dealers, I wish they would have educated staff. Once went in and a young bloke was sat behind the parts desk, "hello mate, I'm after a piece of trim for a 91 Corrado?". The kid looked at me for a bit and then said, "sorry, I'm not too good with the old cars, I'm more into the more modern VW's, like the Passatt". :wave:

"sorry, I'm not too good with the old cars, I'm more into the more modern VW's, like the Passatt".

Quality quote :lol:

Agree with some of the Ebay stuff though, just because its on there doesn't mean its cheap. For example there is someone selling VW Corrado brake/acc pedal rubbers for £2 plus postage! When they are 50p a piece from GSF

yes quite right! there was a guy on ebay a while back after £100 for a second hand front splitter, thats one thing i wish the dealers would get seeing as they are broke on most corrado's

Wouldnt it be a good idea if the VW dealers were to offer a discount to the corrado forum members. Give us a 10% discount and the dealers get loads of new customers through their gold plated doors for next to nothing ?

2. This, to me, is the more important reason; obsolescence. If VW gets insufficient demand for a part over a two year period then the part gets made obselete.

However if the parts were cheaper in the first place, there would be more demand for them...ie headlights, late bumpers, VR steering rack, exhaust systems, etc etc.

Despite the extra expense, I always try to buy VW bits and have been going to my local VW dealers for 15 years and know them really well, but they think I'm mad spending money on an old car. :roll: I get trade discount now which is good though! Parts club offers discount too, and a handy book.

2. This, to me, is the more important reason; obsolescence. If VW gets insufficient demand for a part over a two year period then the part gets made obselete.

However if the parts were cheaper in the first place, there would be more demand for them...ie headlights, late bumpers, VR steering rack, exhaust systems, etc etc.

Despite the extra expense, I always try to buy VW bits and have been going to my local VW dealers for 15 years and know them really well, but they think I'm mad spending money on an old car. :roll: I get trade discount now which is good though! Parts club offers discount too, and a handy book.

How did you get the trade discount mate, did you just chance your arm? :norty:

I bought a new spilt from my local dealers today cost less than £50

what size splitter and what dealer was that from?? last quotei had from my local stealers for a 90ml was £126 :shock:

i try to use the stealers as much as i can but my local ones are a, useless and b,incompetent i went in the other day to get a new wiper blade, gave them the part number and they still managed to give me the wrong one.. never get any discount either and they are so reluctant to help just because i dont have a brand new touareg etc, however i do have 2 corrado's which means ill probably be making more trips to the parts department then a touareg owner anyway :wave:

its getting that bad that im considering going all the way into the southampton branch now as the hedge end and portsmouth dealerships just havent been any good for me :(

i try to use the stealers as much as i can but my local ones are a, useless and b,incompetent i went in the other day to get a new wiper blade, gave them the part number and they still managed to give me the wrong one.. never get any discount either and they are so reluctant to help just because i dont have a brand new touareg etc, however i do have 2 corrado's which means ill probably be making more trips to the parts department then a touareg owner anyway :wave:

its getting that bad that im considering going all the way into the southampton branch now as the hedge end and portsmouth dealerships just havent been any good for me :(

[/quote:1fx10xl7]

I have to say actually that mine (Gilders Chesterfield) is very good. He doesnt always know what everything is (to be expected really), but he takes the time to go through everything slowly to make sure it is right.

Trouble is they just arent that cheap :( Even when I get 20% discount from my mate who works for VW they are still marginally more than GSF etc

My local dealers parts desk is really good, they know me by voice now. The service desk is less good, but I won't be taking the car there again...

Just ordered a load of nuts and bolts for the weekend, hopefully they will text me in the next few days.

Tom.

A friend of mine once walked into the Iffly Road Oxford VW garage and asked the parts person for some parts for his Corrado. It was suggested to my friend that he went to the Toyota garage!

He took a few minutes trying to explain that it was not a Corolla and that VW had made a coupe other than the Sirocco...

He gave up in the end and went elsewhere.

Personally I use the VW TPS centre in Milton Keynes. They can be a little slow, but often have the part and and good to work with. They sell the std 10w40 synta (or whatever its called) for £11 something which is half the recommended price! :)

Lol - i'm on first name terms with the parts guy at the bedford vw dealers, he even recognises my voice on the phone :eek:

Soemk parts i always prefer to buy new, like exterior trim etc as it fits properly!

Good post Mr McCrotch but I think you'd draw a much bigger crowd with some typical examples of what you're talking about.

Well, as Mr Rubshispants is my local dealer and all round good egg, an example of the discount he can do for me is £87 inc VAT for a crank sensor, as opposed to the £120 odd you normally have to pay.

I bought a new spilt from my local dealers today cost less than £50

what size splitter and what dealer was that from?? last quotei had from my local stealers for a 90ml was £126 :shock:

its getting that bad that im considering going all the way into the southampton branch now as the hedge end and portsmouth dealerships just havent been any good for me :([/quote:31s83f7u]

126 is shocking im scrubbing my 90mm splitter and went to the dealers for the 50mm one came back at 46.89 :D but seen them sell for close to that on here and ebay i try my best to use dealers. once when i was building a engine for my old mk1 i was fitting a g60 lump with turbo i needed the throtle housing gasket for it gsf, ebay all wanted 7.00 pounds rang vw and got it 2.68 bargain

I bought a new spiltter from my local dealers today cost less than £50

its getting that bad that im considering going all the way into the southampton branch now as the hedge end and portsmouth dealerships just havent been any good for me :([/quote:13zgga7w]

It was the 50mm splitter, i did'nt see the point buying a new 90mm one at twice the price to drag down the road!