Sign in to follow this  
Henny

Henny and CTWG60 have a long chat about pistons :)

Aaah. I know DanVW has a 1H block in his car, for some reason. Was there a reason for the thicker bolts, or was it because they were used in racing and they needed to be homogloborifiicatfication?

the were bigger bolts as the motorsport Rallyes had to use the same basic engine as the road going ones yet they had to be able to deal with seriously silly boost levels and much higher compression... from memory I think they were running around 350bhp! :cuckoo:

it's a long story as to why I have a 1H block, and it wasn't by choice... I'm pretty much set on rebuilding the original engine out of the Corrado now so that the engine and chassis numbers all match up again, as well as giving the advantage of being able to get ARP PG bolts for it... 8)

Never taking the head off again sounds like a cracking idea CTWG60... just wish it was as easy to do that as it is to type it! :brickwall: :lol:

Never taking the head off again sounds like a cracking idea CTWG60... just wish it was as easy to do that as it is to type it! :brickwall: :lol:

Yes as I well bloody know! :lol: This is the last time for me though. Promise!

Well if I do I won't be buying anymore head bolts. My ARP studs arrived. Just inspected them and worked out I'll be using 15 whole threads of the 17 available in the block instead of 10 with standard stretch bolts and I only have to tighten them to 80lbft how stressless is that! Famous last words. 3 stage recommended so I'm thinking 20,40,60,80 checked twice in sequence at each stage with the special moly paste!! :D I'll never use "stretchy snappy mess with your head bolts" again! :camp: